Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to share my surgery experience as it seems very, very different than most I have seen and I don't want others to feel alone! My hospital experience was scary, but since then it has been great! So there is hope!

The Scary Part

On 2/25 I had my gastric bypass/RNY surgery. The plan was that I would stay one night and be discharged in the morning. I had the surgery, woke up feeling okay, and fairly quickly I got out of bed and took a short walk. I went back to rest and about four hours later told my mom I was feeling "weird." Within a few minutes, my eyes rolled back and I passed out in my hospital bed.

I don't remember a lot after that, but here's what I've been told... The nurses came and got me stabilized. I woke back up and wanted to go to the restroom. They started to raise the head of the bed so I could get up.... and I passed out again immediately. Cue mad rush of people, changing rooms, going to ICU, blood tests, and eventually figuring out I had an internal bleed.

My surgeon was called in around 2am for an emergency surgery to figure out what was going on. Turns out the bleed was not near my stomach or anything, but somehow they nicked a fat/muscle tissue area on the way in. I lost a lot of blood and they first gave me a bag during surgery. They continued to monitor me. Two days later my blood count was still very low. I received a blood transfusion of 2 more bags. It took another day, but finally my blood count was high enough that the doc said I could go home.

I was home for about 2 hours.... and started to bleed profusely. On the way to the ER I soaked through five layers of kitchen towel and was seriously freaking out. I get there and not only am I bleeding, but I have a fever, so now they are concerned about an infection. After 5 hours in the ER, consulting with the surgeon on call, more IV fluids, and some Tylenol, my fever was down and I was told the bleeding was normal due to my internal bleed and to expect it for the next few days.

The Good Part

After returning home, I had very minor pain that I controlled with Tylenol for two days and then didn't require meds. I had very low energy, but I started walking immediately, 10 minutes at a time. 3 times a day for the first couple days, then 8 times a day. I drank lots of Water, broth, and had about 70 grams of Protein per day through shakes made with Canadian Protein (who I highly, highly recommend).

I saw my doctor about 6 days later. My blood count was still on the low side, but acceptable, and everything else looked great! He approved me for pureed foods and soft scrambled eggs. I was told I didn't have a minimum number of calories, but to not go over around 700 ish. I could have 5-7 small meals, starting around 2-4 tablespoons. And to keep up the walking and he would see me in a month.

I wasn't hungry, but I was excited so I almost right away had some refried Beans. I ate about 3 tablespoons over the course of half an hour. About an hour later, I had a terrible side stitch that made me want to hunch over, but other than that I was okay. I ate a little bit of plain yogurt that evening and had the same side stitch. But the next morning I had a little yogurt... and was fine!

Since then, I've had almost no hunger at all. I get my 2 Protein Shakes totally about 70 grams of protein, and I've been having 2 or 3 very small meals of yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, or a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. Honestly, I only eat that much because I know I should, not because I'm hungry. I have had ZERO vomiting, ZERO dumping syndrome, almost no nausea, no "foamies," and really no side effects. I'm a little tired still and shakey, like I'll get a little lightheaded if I stand up too quickly, but other than that I feel GREAT.

I am 2 days shy of being 3 weeks out and I have lost 28 pounds already! I was prepared for lots of pain and vomiting and everything else, but have not had it at all. I've followed the rules very strictly, but I know a bit part of it is luck.

So for anyone scared, be positive and know that not every experience is a horror story! There is hope!

1 hour ago, brittcarter91 said:

My surgeon called in around 2am for emergency surgery

@brittcarter91

OMG you went through quite an ordeal. i think its ok/good? for newbies et al to hear stories like yours.

They should be aware of bad possibilities that could/but seldomly happen. Many OP do tell their situations that are bad, telling things, asking suggestions/experiences. It might help them venting a bit. Looking for

help. The good thing about your story is that you are showing that there is that "light at the end of the tunnel" things do usually work out at the end. only thing that you will end up losing is WEIGHT.

good thoughts and wishes for your continued good recovery☺️

kathy

You went through a lot. Glad you're on the "good" side now. Good luck!

So glad you’ve come out the other end! What an awful experience!