Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need more calories-any suggestions



Recommended Posts

Hello....I am two weeks post op and my nutritionist wants me to up my calories to between 600-700 max but I am hovering between 450-500 right now. She suggested a cup of fairlife milk, which is all well and good except I don't think I can drink it plain. Has anyone had the chocolate fairlife milk this early post op? I was thinking maybe I could try that. Or anyone have any simple suggestions (besides making a shake w/ fairlife because I am sticking with my one premier shake a day)....I thought of trying to find a higher calorie yogurt but i really like the Siggi's I have been eating or Fage. I can add a little calories here and there, but it would be good to have a go to one shot type of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you limiting yourself to 1 PP drink per day? You should aim for 2 or 3? I'd do that over Fairlife, but that's just me. At 2weeks I was between 3-500cals/day. But if you MUST have Fairlife (which doesn't have as much Protein and has more carbs), then I would use SF Hershey's chocolate Syrup in it rather than do the Chocolate Fairlife cuz of the amount of carbs/sugar in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FluffyChix said:

Why are you limiting yourself to 1 PP drink per day? You should aim for 2 or 3? I'd do that over Fairlife, but that's just me. At 2weeks I was between 3-500cals/day. But if you MUST have Fairlife (which doesn't have as much Protein and has more carbs), then I would use SF Hershey's chocolate Syrup in it rather than do the chocolate Fairlife cuz of the amount of carbs/sugar in it.

I am not limiting but I am meeting my Protein goals without it.. I get 30 from the one shake and then get 15 from breakfast (yogurt) and then the balance from dinner/lunch. I am on soft foods now so have not needed the two shakes to get 60-65 protein. If I have a second shake i'd be closer to 90+ protein and over what I should have. The nutritionist said 1 a day was fine as long as I am meeting the 60-65 range which I do every day. I noticed the FL choc had a lot of carbs....so that is a no. UGh this is tricky lol

I was thinking maybe I could add in a string cheese with lunch and something else during the day but I don't know what!

Edited by CurvyMom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, at 2 weeks. Congrats! I was only just starting softs at 2 weeks if I remember. Don't overadd cheese. Your bowels may be whacked for a while. And cheese will really stop you up. You need to be sure you are "going" well right now. I'd add stuff like canned chicken, tuna and salmon pouches, sardines, hb eggs or sb eggs, soft scrambled eggs, poached fish, mashed cauliflower, soft green Beans, broccoli cooked to beyond hell, keep the yogurt. Add some avocado. Add a little good healthy fats. Add a couple of olives. I was between 500-800cals through most of my loss. I still have to be down around 700cals to lose on average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FluffyChix said:

Wow, at 2 weeks. Congrats! I was only just starting softs at 2 weeks if I remember. Don't overadd cheese. Your bowels may be whacked for a while. And cheese will really stop you up. You need to be sure you are "going" well right now. I'd add stuff like canned chicken, tuna and salmon pouches, sardines, hb eggs or sb eggs, soft scrambled eggs, poached fish, mashed cauliflower, soft green Beans, broccoli cooked to beyond hell, keep the yogurt. Add some avocado. Add a little good healthy fats. Add a couple of olives. I was between 500-800cals through most of my loss. I still have to be down around 700cals to lose on average.

This is all super helpful as your posts always are. I am carb sensitive (at least pre op) so I like to read your posts :)

I just started softs Sunday night (fish) and I have been eating canned chicken, mash cauliflower, turkey and sweet potato chili which I have been eating leftovers every . single. day. Not too much cheese but i have been lucky- regular every day since surgery and not needing supplements to get it moving. Olives are a no but I do love avocado so I will add that in. I haven't tried eggs yet because I see so many people get sick. I am going to try them this weekend.

I have had a few close calls where i ate too fast and felt like it could come up but I just stop eating. But the scale is NOT moving and that caused me to panic a bit even though I know I shouldn't. It's a journey for sure... Thanks again for the advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't worry about "too few cals", just worry about keeping carbs lower and getting your Protein and fluids (especially your fluids) and vites down your gob! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't worry about "too few cals", just worry about keeping carbs lower and getting your Protein and fluids (especially your fluids) and vites down your gob! :)

Thanks. I can’t wait til I can swallow my Vitamins !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used chewables for the first 3 months except for Calcium and I still use easy swallow capsules for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I used chewables for the first 3 months except for Calcium and I still use easy swallow capsules for that.

I have an easy swallow capsule I’m allowed to try in three weeks for the MV and I ordered the chewable Calcium. I am using a powder calcium but I don’t love it. I have chewable MV now too but I am ready to kiss those goodbye when I can lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I hear ya. I would get so mad over the amount of calories and carbs they contributed to my daily total. When you're only eating 3-500cals per day and using 60 of those for Vitamins and 10carbs or something. GRRRRR! LOL. But you just gotta suckitupbuttercup and geterdone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yeah I hear ya. I would get so mad over the amount of calories and carbs they contributed to my daily total. When you're only eating 3-500cals per day and using 60 of those for Vitamins and 10carbs or something. GRRRRR! LOL. But you just gotta suckitupbuttercup and geterdone.

Ooooo I didn’t add those into my tracker. That will add some calories!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeppers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • MonnieB

      I am in the Pre-Op stage.  I have 4 more nutrition classes to go to.  I've had my endoscopy with favorable results although I was told I had an abnormal z-line.  Everything looks good so far.  Had my team appointment with the psychologist and have my pulmonologist  this week.  I chose the sleeve
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • istytehcrawk

      Friday marked my first surgiversary, so I wrote 3,000 words about it on Medium: https://medium.com/@mistyfritz/life-after-having-my-intestines-rerouted-d7baf9c8c39f?source=friends_link&sk=e24f2259918ac091cdbbb8a8f24b1f63
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • WeGettingThere

      Hey all! So I went in for my weight management class. I thought that would be my last one but I actually have to wait until the nutritionist clears me. She has to decide if I'm ready. I''m not mad at it. It looks like my surgery will be happening in the summertime. So instead of focusing on the surgery date, I'm putting my energy into losing weight and making sure all these appointments are taken care of. It feels like doing mini quests on a video game before trying to fight the BIG BOSS. I'm not ready for the BIG BOSS yet. haha. Feeling pretty good! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Goody222  »  Dana me

      Me too! I am following the plan. How about you?
      · 1 reply
      1. Goody222

        I am. Surprised I am not hangry!

    • Jobber

      Finished my 6th and final NUT appointment yesterday.  Everything is done except the psych eval and submittal to insurance.  I did everything required of me including the 100 pages plus of food tracking, I lost 5% of my total weight, and I went to every NUT appointment.  
      Hoping for the best, things seem to be lining up well for me and in the end, I think I will be able to fully have my wife on board with this whole thing.  She says she is, but I know she doesn't think I should do it.  Just like I replied to another post earlier, i'm doing this either way, it's my decision at this point and I know I can get her to come around at some point and maybe even convince her to look into it as well.
      Also, I just started with an APAP machine a couple weeks ago and "holy sh*t" has my quality of life improved greatly so far.  I wish I had looked into this years ago.  I didn't think I had apnea until I had the study done and i stopped breathing an average of 12 times an hour.  That's nuts...
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×