Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little scared

What specifically concerns you? The surgery? Fear of failure? The pre op and post op diets? Excess skin? Complications?

The only answer i can give you is to pray about it and do your research! Once you do all of that and you get your final answer and you know it is right for you, the fear goes away completely.

Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go, don't invite them to stay for dinner. What scares you most?
Never being the same? Well that's true, but the trade-off is still worthwhile. For me , I found it an improvement
Pain? It is not THAT painful, I have had surgeries more painful that took longer to heal from
Anesthesia- shoot when I was young all we had was Ether, that stinker did make you SICK, what they use these days is very easy, very smooth, your anesthesiologist are super skillful, I just had a minor procedure on Friday with temporary loss of consciousness, all I was was a little sleepy rest of day and it turned out I came through fine.
Which kind of surgery should I have? Well that is up to you and your surgeon, sometimes health conditions mandate one or the other, for me I HAD to have an RnY but many of my friends do well with a VSG, commonly called sleeve. Both very good albeit life-changing surgeries.
I'm the wrong age? I'm 73 years old, was still 72 when I had my surgery last September, so never think you're the wrong age.
I'll have to give up all my favorite foods? Well, many you will no longer have a desire to eat, the rest may go on a short vacation, when they come back either you'll eat smaller amounts and be satisfied. I loved cottage cheese before, can barely stand it now, Peanut Butter and bananas, used to,love eating them, now I throw them up but I might tolerate them later. At 5 m9nths I'm still a work,in progress.
I won't lose weight? Well I thought that, tried every diet known to man and a few silly ones, like standing up while you eat, cabbage juice, grapefruit, diet candies, none worked. Well even with a metabolism like a sick sea 🐌 snail, I have lost 64 pounds since surgery, if I can most everybody else can.
I might die? Well eventually we all do, but your surgeon is very skillful, you don't last long in the business of your not. He or she wants just as good an outcome as you do. One part ego, but they really want to help, and basically they are very nice people. Let me give you a quick example. My son, who I call on here my Tomkitten accompanied me to my pre-surgical appointment, my Dr Needleman got up and came over and shook my son's hand. He said " I promise you I will take very good care of your Mama" now he was under no obligation to do that, but he sensed my son's concern for me. They see the whole picture and my respect for him tripled right there! And still he takes time to talk this far out from. surgery. If I haven't covered your fear just please ask. I know we can help!

What specifically concerns you? The surgery? Fear of failure? The pre op and post op diets? Excess skin? Complications?
Well I think a little bit of everything but u have done research Bern waiting for 6 months so I'm deff ready just anxious i guess

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

The only answer i can give you is to pray about it and do your research! Once you do all of that and you get your final answer and you know it is right for you, the fear goes away completely.
Yea I have fonr research I guess its anxiety 6 months later now it's real my date is February 7 been on a liquid diet for 3 days harder than I thought

Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go, don't invite them to stay for dinner. What scares you most?
Never being the same? Well that's true, but the trade-off is still worthwhile. For me , I found it an improvement
Pain? It is not THAT painful, I have had surgeries more painful that took longer to heal from
Anesthesia- shoot when I was young all we had was Ether, that stinker did make you SICK, what they use these days is very easy, very smooth, your anesthesiologist are super skillful, I just had a minor procedure on Friday with temporary loss of consciousness, all I was was a little sleepy rest of day and it turned out I came through fine.
Which kind of surgery should I have? Well that is up to you and your surgeon, sometimes health conditions mandate one or the other, for me I HAD to have an RnY but many of my friends do well with a VSG, commonly called sleeve. Both very good albeit life-changing surgeries.
I'm the wrong age? I'm 73 years old, was still 72 when I had my surgery last September, so never think you're the wrong age.
I'll have to give up all my favorite foods? Well, many you will no longer have a desire to eat, the rest may go on a short vacation, when they come back either you'll eat smaller amounts and be satisfied. I loved cottage cheese before, can barely stand it now, Peanut Butter and bananas, used to,love eating them, now I throw them up but I might tolerate them later. At 5 m9nths I'm still a work,in progress.
I won't lose weight? Well I thought that, tried every diet known to man and a few silly ones, like standing up while you eat, cabbage juice, grapefruit, diet candies, none worked. Well even with a metabolism like a sick sea snail, I have lost 64 pounds since surgery, if I can most everybody else can.
I might die? Well eventually we all do, but your surgeon is very skillful, you don't last long in the business of your not. He or she wants just as good an outcome as you do. One part ego, but they really want to help, and basically they are very nice people. Let me give you a quick example. My son, who I call on here my Tomkitten accompanied me to my pre-surgical appointment, my Dr Needleman got up and came over and shook my son's hand. He said " I promise you I will take very good care of your Mama" now he was under no obligation to do that, but he sensed my son's concern for me. They see the whole picture and my respect for him tripled right there! And still he takes time to talk this far out from. surgery. If I haven't covered your fear just please ask. I know we can help!
I'm on a liquid diet now for 3 days my procedure is February 7 I'm ok with not eating certain things the hardest for me was having to stop smoking cigarettes after 20 years but all worth it

Oh it really is, I never smoked myself, but my nearest a dearest did, my father, father-in-law and husband all. And the second-hand. smoke did a number on me anyway. Daddy and Daddy-in-law quit Cold Turkey when my youngest who grew up to become my beloved Tomkitten. It was soon enough for my Daddy. but not for my Daddy-in-law, he died 9 years later of lung cancer, my husband would stop and start again, just couldn' t stay away from it. Tomkitten and never smoked, neither did his older brother who is now an angel, their older sister probably does. Rotten Daughter and I don't speak that much, by her decision. Door,is always open here.

3 hours ago, MaryM1103 said:

Yea I have fonr research I guess its anxiety 6 months later now it's real my date is February 7 been on a liquid diet for 3 days harder than I thought

Just take it a day at a time and keep reminding yourself that you are doing this for a reason and soon it will become a task you have to take care of, kinda like an errand to run.. and you will walk in there with your head held high knowing it is the right thing to do.

8 hours ago, MaryM1103 said:

Well I think a little bit of everything but u have done research Bern waiting for 6 months so I'm deff ready just anxious i guess

You are in the right place for anxious right here on these forums. Don't be afraid to ask questions or you can use the search link in the top left hand corner, its pretty good in returning results which you can sort by newest date.

There is generally a thread for those undergoing surgery in the same month, keep an eye for that, its pretty useful and supportive to be engaging with those going through everything together.

a thought for you ; let go of the old ME to be what I was born to Be. Remember if you keep your head filled with fears , it will crowd out all the dreams you now have, Let your dreams come true for you have worked so hard to get here. Smile now, believe in YOURSELF, and know that you will do just fine, Mary you have almost made it now, a week of sleep and it will be time. And there will be a future of Happy ahead, it's yours for the taking so reach out on your merry go round ride, and that is life.

Just take it a day at a time and keep reminding yourself that you are doing this for a reason and soon it will become a task you have to take care of, kinda like an errand to run.. and you will walk in there with your head held high knowing it is the right thing to do.

Thanks so much good to know there's other people here for support

You are in the right place for anxious right here on these forums. Don't be afraid to ask questions or you can use the search link in the top left hand corner, its pretty good in returning results which you can sort by newest date.
There is generally a thread for those undergoing surgery in the same month, keep an eye for that, its pretty useful and supportive to be engaging with those going through everything together.
Thank you very much I'm new with this so still trying to figure it out but I appreciate the support when was yours ?

I totally understand you fear. The only surgery I ever had was for my wisdom teeth and that freaked me out. For me, it was listing out all the reasons I wanted to get it done and why it would improve my life. And then you also have to remember whatever pain/uncomfortable feelings you are feeling will not be forever. Im only on wk 2 and I already feel so much better. Sending you love and hugs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I totally understand you fear. The only surgery I ever had was for my wisdom teeth and that freaked me out. For me, it was listing out all the reasons I wanted to get it done and why it would improve my life. And then you also have to remember whatever pain/uncomfortable feelings you are feeling will not be forever. Im only on wk 2 and I already feel so much better. Sending you love and hugs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Awww thank you very much and congratulations on your success I have had 7 surgery's b4 and they suck but this 1 is a real life changing 1 but I'm looking forward to it [emoji5]