Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm pre-op...and my main fear isn't the surgery or anything else except wondering how I'm going to stop hoovering my food. I'm assuming the surgery will force me to control this, but I don't want to learn from mistakes in this situation. I have always been a fast eater no matter if I'm under a time crunch or not. Did any of ya'll do anything in particular to help keep your food hoovering habits in check when eating, pre or post-op?

Edited by Kimmie K

I'm a week post-op and eating purees. These foods aren't as filling as solid foods, but they're still filling enough that if I eat too fast or too much that I feel the restriction. If I eat too fast it's uncomfortable, so I use a timer. I eat a bite, set the timer for a minute, and then eat another bite. Sometimes I reset the timer because I need a little more time, so I'll wait two minutes in between bites. I also put my fork/spoon down while I'm waiting.

Hey there! Hope this finds you well...

You may also want to consider creating a running thread to keep track of all of your posts in one place instead of a hundred one off posts ❤

33 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

I'm pre-op...and my main fear isn't the surgery or anything else except wondering how I'm going to stop hoovering my food. I'm assuming the surgery will force me to control this, but I don't want to learn from mistakes in this situation. I have always been a fast eater no matter if I'm under a time crunch or not. Did any of ya'll do anything in particular to help keep your food hoovering habits in check when eating, pre or post-op?

Much of WLS is behavior/habit change. It takes practice. You will overcome eating fast.

I had the same concern. Pre surgery, I inhaled my food and never had a real sensation of full until I was over stuffed. What I noticed after surgery, If you eat fast, your new stomach will let you know. You will have a new sensation of full after much smaller meals.

food does not have control over me. I'm so thankful for that.

Edited by Healthy_life

1 minute ago, Healthy_life said:

Much of WLS is behavior/habit change. It takes practice. You will overcome eating fast.

I had the same concern. Pre surgery, I inhaled my food and never had a real sensation of full until I was over stuffed. What I noticed after surgery, If you eat fast, your new stomach will let you know. You will have a new sensation of full after much smaller meals.

food does not have control over me. I'm so thankful for that.

That's awesome to hear :) It's so weird trying to explore a world you've never seen or experienced yourself. Sometimes it sounds too good to be true and I get in this funko mindset like "who am I kidding, you know you're meant to be fat...you'll be in the record books as the one bypass patient that never lost an ounce..." I know it's not true though...:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hey there! Hope this finds you well...

You may also want to consider creating a running thread to keep track of all of your posts in one place instead of a hundred one off posts ❤

If I did that, then all the info would get mixed up and off on a tangent. I keep track of all the threads I start. Plus you get Bariatric Pal Store points for each thread you created and reply to. I've gotten a ton of stuff free or close to it :)

image.png.d602f47af292104128101fbdbff797e0.png

There are some good ideas in this thread. I'm also thinking about starting the Beck Diet Solution book, which is supposed to be about changing habits (vs. really being a diet). I haven't read it, so not really an endorsement, but a friend really liked it.

1 minute ago, notmyname said:

There are some good ideas in this thread. I'm also thinking about starting the Beck Diet Solution book, which is supposed to be about changing habits (vs. really being a diet). I haven't read it, so not really an endorsement, but a friend really liked it.

I'll have to look that up! Never heard of Beck Diet Solution. Thanks for the info!

I was a fast eater and drinker. It took me about 3 weeks to learn to pace myself. It hurts when the RNY pouch gets too full. I learned to take a bite and I can feel it going to my pouch then take another then quit before it starts creeping back up the down pipe. It's definitely an art and a learning experience. liquid doesn't seem to be a problem now that I'm in week 5 post-op.

1 hour ago, Kimmie K said:

If I did that, then all the info would get mixed up and off on a tangent. I keep track of all the threads I start. Plus you get Bariatric Pal Store points for each thread you created and reply to. I've gotten a ton of stuff free or close to it :)

image.png.d602f47af292104128101fbdbff797e0.png

Ok...

13 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Ok...

Unless I'm just misunderstanding what you mean...which is highly possible :P

11 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

No no, you are creating a lot of content, quickly to gain points. Got it.

Well yeah...that's just a bonus...plus I just have a TON of random questions I think of on a whim and if Google doesn't give me the answer I want or it's not already explained in an existing thread here, I make one. I figured that's what this place is for, to ask questions and learn, right? B)

4 hours ago, Kimmie K said:

Once you have the surgery you won't be able to eat fast because it will hurt to do so. You'll get a lot of air in your stomach that way and it'll hurt. My dietitian says to chew everything 20-30 times and take 20-30 minutes to eat a meal.

34 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

Well yeah...that's just a bonus...plus I just have a TON of random questions I think of on a whim and if Google doesn't give me the answer I want or it's not already explained in an existing thread here, I make one. I figured that's what this place is for, to ask questions and learn, right? B)

Um, I never even knew about that until about 6 weeks ago. I have been here I think around a year or more? Never ever knew. I have eleventy billion points. And posting like a ho just to gain points seems kinda sketchy to me and kinda abuses the priviledge that Alex gives to us. If people abuse it, they will go away. Then yeah, gee thanks.