Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone experience terrible heartburn only at night , i'm 8 days post op the first 3 days i didn't have heartburn, after that every night i wake up after 2 am with pain in my stomach it's like slow motion cramps, i take a couple of tums and i'm OK for couple of hours then they wake me up again, i didn't have any heartburn problems prior the surgery.

I'm wonder is it is common after surgery and how long they will last? hopefully not forever

gastric sleeve

Ah, I have heard that gastric sleeve can cause and/or exacerbate heartburn. Let your team know, and I hope you feel better soon!

Some doctors automatically prescribe 1-3 months of acid reducers after was to help your stomach heal. Ask your team. Good luck!

i'm taking the pills but i still have heartburn at night time

1 hour ago, Alina6396 said:

i'm taking the pills but i still have heartburn at night time

Do you take them twice a day? Do you drink a lot shortly before bed? How late is your dinner? Sorry about the 20 questions, but I'm kind of a subject matter expert on heartburn.

I take them once a day for the next 3 months

I don't drink alot, my dinner is at 7 and i go the bed around 10

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Do you take them twice a day? Do you drink a lot shortly before bed? How late is your dinner? Sorry about the 20 questions, but I'm kind of a subject matter expert on heartburn.

Thank you , you can ask me all the questions you want :)

Not sure what you are taking but I know that I was taking them twice a day. You may want to inquire about that, I can tell you that I am still on them over a year later and I would like to try and wean myself off of them in about another 6 months to a year. (we shall see.....) I know when I have not taken them and know exactly what the problem is....my Dr told me to try a probiotic and that works some, but I definitely need the acid reducer. Talk to your Dr and tell them what is going on, and they will help you.

3 hours ago, Alina6396 said:

I take them once a day for the next 3 months

I don't drink alot, my dinner is at 7 and i go the bed around 10

Since you're having trouble at night, ask if you can take the acid reducer at night instead of morning or even twice a day.

Also see if elevating your head when you sleep helps. Sometimes it does. An extra pillow or a wedge of some sort, maybe?

14 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Since you're having trouble at night, ask if you can take the acid reducer at night instead of morning or even twice a day.

I tried last night and took my pill around 8 pm but it didn't help, now this my sound crazy but i'm not sure if i have a heartburn or acid re-flux because i do not have any burn sensations or anything coming back up, i just have a shooting pain that stops on upper abdominal underneath my breast then it goes away then comes back, for maybe 4-5 times then stops for a while and later it does it again and only at night time, could it be abdominal muscle where they cut through? because it's exactly where i have the incision.

Thank you for reading this and answering

1 minute ago, Alina6396 said:

I tried last night and took my pill around 8 pm but it didn't help, now this my sound crazy but i'm not sure if i have a heartburn or acid re-flux because i do not have any burn sensations or anything coming back up, i just have a shooting pain that stops on upper abdominal underneath my breast then it goes away then comes back, for maybe 4-5 times then stops for a while and later it does it again and only at night time, could it be abdominal muscle where they cut through? because it's exactly where i have the incision.

Thank you for reading this and answering

Maybe? Well, it's mid-day on a Wednesday. Great time to put in a call to your surgeon's office and ask!

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Maybe? Well, it's mid-day on a Wednesday. Great time to put in a call to your surgeon's office and ask!

I will thank you