Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op depression/Struggle with meds

This post isn't about me but my mum. She had the operation on Nov 1 and is really starting to struggle. She's finding it super difficult to even get to half her recommended Water amount, the diet shakes and Proteins shakes won't stay down and are too sweet. She's on soft foods at the moments but there are a lot of days lately where even water is making her vomit. She's also having mega amounts of trouble swallowing her medication? She's on an antidepressant and hyper thyroid medication and can only manage to take them all or even half every two or three days. These is severely affecting her mental health. Does anyone have any tips to help get medication down or ways to drink more water without artificial sweeteners etc. ?

Edited by Athira

Most people suggest trying different temperatures when it comes to Water from iced to hot. She can use sugar free pop cycles to bring up the hydration level too. She can sip broth and use unflavored Protein Powder instead of the shakes. She needs to ask her doc about the meds. Some can be crushed and some are extended release. She might have to change up her meds if that's the case. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that your mom is struggling. Tell her to remember that it does get better. I had a tough time taking my antidepressants after surgery also. I wasnt cleared to take pills and the liquid antidepressants tasted so bad they made me gag. I wound up surviving a month without taking them (not recommended). However, when I told my pharmacist about it. She said they can add flavors to the meds to make them more tolerable if you ask

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

With all that said, I'm not 2 months out and most days I can take all my pills without a problem. It took a lot of trial and error though

Now*

Does your Mother, by chance, have to take methimazole (three times per day)? If so, it's probably the frequency that makes it difficult for her. Have you tried adding her meds to her food? I'm sure you've tried everything, so I apologize if I'm asking dumb questions.

Sometimes when a person has a problem taking meds, there is some anxiety associated with the feeling that they will throw up or worse, whatever worse is. What if you try adding it to her food without her knowing? Maybe, psychologically, she's making matters worse by thinking that she'll be unable to keep her meds down. It's an old trick but it might work.

I was never able to get down my recommended Fluid or Protein. Not even close to optimal. I know some people advise others to force down their fluids and protein no matter what. Be tough on yourself, big-girl panties, and all that. I disagree. Listen to your body; it's talking to you. It's trying. You can only do what you can do. It takes months before malnutrition kicks in. Your Mother will be fine. I'd concentrate on trying to get her meds down and worry less about the fluid and protein. I had an abysmal time with my fluid/protein intake, yet when my 3-month labs came back post-bypass, I aced them. My visit to my endocrinologist last week (I have the autoimmune thyroid condition known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis), also revealed stellar lab results. Excellent A1C, excellent blood pressure... and no meds for either anymore. I also take anti-depressants. I was lucky, I guess, since I could down any size pill immediately after my surgery. Horse pill size, no problem. Even several at once.

I think I'm rambling here, moving from one topic question to the next without making any sense. Your Mother's experience with suddenly thinking everything tastes too sweet, etc is extremely common. Post-surgery most everything smells and tastes differently. I'm still noticing this at 5 months out.

My main point is: continue to support your Mother by NOT contributing to the chorus of other people telling her that she needs to do this or that and if she doesn't do it "right" then she's a failure. Posting this comment on behalf of your Mother says a lot about you. She's lucky to have you in her corner. Keep helping her by reminding her that her body will sort things out (eventually). She's healing. Keep being positive even when she's struggling.

And keep us posted! We care about you and your Mother.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

40 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Does your Mother, by chance, have to take methimazole (three times per day)? If so, it's probably the frequency that makes it difficult for her. Have you tried adding her meds to her food? I'm sure you've tried everything, so I apologize if I'm asking dumb questions.

Sometimes when a person has a problem taking meds, there is some anxiety associated with the feeling that they will throw up or worse, whatever worse is. What if you try adding it to her food without her knowing? Maybe, psychologically, she's making matters worse by thinking that she'll be unable to keep her meds down. It's an old trick but it might work.

I was never able to get down my recommended Fluid or Protein. Not even close to optimal. I know some people advise others to force down their fluids and Protein no matter what. Be tough on yourself, big-girl panties, and all that. I disagree. Listen to your body; it's talking to you. It's trying. You can only do what you can do. It takes months before malnutrition kicks in. Your Mother will be fine. I'd concentrate on trying to get her meds down and worry less about the Fluid and protein. I had an abysmal time with my fluid/protein intake, yet when my 3-month labs came back post-bypass, I aced them. My visit to my endocrinologist last week (I have the autoimmune thyroid condition known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis), also revealed stellar lab results. Excellent A1C, excellent blood pressure... and no meds for either anymore. I also take anti-depressants. I was lucky, I guess, since I could down any size pill immediately after my surgery. Horse pill size, no problem. Even several at once.

I think I'm rambling here, moving from one topic question to the next without making any sense. Your Mother's experience with suddenly thinking everything tastes too sweet, etc is extremely common. Post-surgery most everything smells and tastes differently. I'm still noticing this at 5 months out.

My main point is: continue to support your Mother by NOT contributing to the chorus of other people telling her that she needs to do this or that and if she doesn't do it "right" then she's a failure. Posting this comment on behalf of your Mother says a lot about you. She's lucky to have you in her corner. Keep helping her by reminding her that her body will sort things out (eventually). She's healing. Keep being positive even when she's struggling.

And keep us posted! We care about you and your Mother.

Thanks so much for the tips. I'm trying to keep us both positive but when she gets helpless I feel like nothing I say will help. She is supposed to take 8 of the thyroid tablets a day and yes I definitely think it's the amount rather than actually taking them. I will definitely try the sneaking a go because I think any of them is better than none at this point. She's very fed up with her stomach hurting constantly and is not sleeping well either so all these things have added to her not feeling great. But I'm happy to hear that someone who couldn't manage to be excellent at all the things you have to do is doing well. Her surgeon is less than helpful at check ups which is quite frustrating. Thank you for your kind comment, I think I'll even recommend she goes on this forum for the support that I can't relate to. :)

4 hours ago, Ed_NW said:

Most people suggest trying different temperatures when it comes to Water from iced to hot. She can use sugar free pop cycles to bring up the hydration level too. She can sip broth and use unflavored Protein Powder instead of the shakes. She needs to ask her doc about the meds. Some can be crushed and some are extended release. She might have to change up her meds if that's the case. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip about Proteins powder and broth! And yes sugar free ice blocks have been a saving grace

Just a hint...I am 5 years out from my RNY, to this day I have what I call "My food Rituals" with that being said Let me explain...I had BIG Problems with STRICTURES. I had 5 Endoscopes starting in Nov 2013. Every couple months I had to have another one done. Finally, I went to a different Bariatric Center. Jan 2015 was my last stricture. If your mom keeps having this problem you might want to ask her Surgeon about getting it check out. Not wanting to add more stress on you both. You must be your own best friend!!