Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec 2013 VSG'ers: 5 year update?



Recommended Posts

I had my VSG on Dec. 4, 2013. Ootpatient. Overall, I lost ~ 90 pounds, but alas, I have regained 20, and currently, am not still in "Onederland." I am not happy with that--as in bummed!!!. But this week, I am sticking to Protein and working hard to avoid bad carbs. Pray for me, 'cuz I was really happy at the near 175 weight and a size 10 or so (down from a 22). I WILL get back to 180 or so. I WILL.

How are the rest of my December 2013 sleevers doing? Share your stories and if any struggles. Share pics if you choose. Let's still be helpers one to another. And despite all--even if any slip-ups--congratulations on what I trust has been a slimmer, happier life, post-VSG five years ago this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to say that my surgeon told me that, at this stage, my ghrelin has returned. It is up/elevated. So I keep telling myself that; and I am working hard to NOT eat so fast. To stick to Protein. To avoid my love of potato chips that I can woof down, then feel bloated from the carb and sodium load; and even to not eat the bread in an Egg McMuffin.

I bought some Syntrax Lemon-Tea powder, because I am tired of the milky-type drinks. Although, I didn't drink many of those because I don't lose weight with splenda/sucralose. So...

Just sharing the additional processing I'm amidst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the progress that you have made and on catching yourself before you gain more. I wish that I would have done that in the past, instead of gaining all of my weight back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the loss and on catching it at 20 pounds! Come join us over in the AMAW/CAMAW thread! :D https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/421182-amawcamaw-lets-do-this-thang/?do=getNewComment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FancyChristine15 said:

Congrats on the progress that you have made and on catching yourself before you gain more. I wish that I would have done that in the past, instead of gaining all of my weight back!

Thank you. I'm trying to hold on. In fact, not trying; I MUST and WILL. I do not want to get fat again.

If I may...what do you mean you gained all your weight back? You just had surgery in March. Or did you have previous surgery, regained weight and then had the VSG in March? Expound, please. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr-Patient said:

I had my VSG on Dec. 4, 2013. Ootpatient. Overall, I lost ~ 90 pounds, but alas, I have regained 20, and currently, am not still in "Onederland." I am not happy with that--as in bummed!!!. But this week, I am sticking to Protein and working hard to avoid bad carbs. Pray for me, 'cuz I was really happy at the near 175 weight and a size 10 or so (down from a 22). I WILL get back to 180 or so. I WILL.

How are the rest of my December 2013 sleevers doing? Share your stories and if any struggles. Share pics if you choose. Let's still be helpers one to another. And despite all--even if any slip-ups--congratulations on what I trust has been a slimmer, happier life, post-VSG five years ago this month.

Congrats on five years out. You will work this back down. Don't let 20 pounds turn into 30, 40 or 50. Healthier you in 2019.

I was sleeved in 2014. I had a sixteen pound gain my third year and worked it back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr-Patient said:

Thank you. I'm trying to hold on. In fact, not trying; I MUST and WILL. I do not want to get fat again.

If I may...what do you mean you gained all your weight back? You just had surgery in March. Or did you have previous surgery, regained weight and then had the VSG in March? Expound, please. Thank you.

I lost the weight with just diet and exercise. I got down from like 443 to 265. Then I gained it all back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, Healthy_life said:

Congrats on five years out. You will work this back down. Don't let 20 pounds turn into 30, 40 or 50. Healthier you in 2019.

I was sleeved in 2014. I had a sixteen pound gain my third year and worked it back down.

You look great. Congratulations. I've been good since I posted, and have lost 5.5 pounds. It's a start. Thanks for your words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dr-Patient said:

You look great. Congratulations. I've been good since I posted, and have lost 5.5 pounds. It's a start. Thanks for your words.

Glad to hear back from you. 5.5 pounds is fantastic. You are proof you can work off weight gain years out from surgery.

Can I ask what you have changed to get back into weight loss mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've resisted the urge to eat potato chips (my weakness). I haven't bought any. I've stopped the bad white carbs, etc.

So it's been meat--burgers with lettuce, Tomato, onion; eggs; salmon (tired of that, but...). I just marinated some ribs (isn't hi-protein great!!?) and will cook them tomorrow. If I get an Egg McMuffin, I pull the bread away.

I've added vinegar to my Water (that helps me lost weight); for Snacks, I've had almonds, or maybe some pineapple or blueberries.

A friend made a salmon crepe/omelette; she made a few revisions, and it was delicious. It looks doable for us wls folk. I'm going to try that next week. If it turns out well, I'll share the name of the dish, or the recipe itself.

So basically, no starchy carbs, etc.; and I'm TRYING to not rush my food; trying to slow it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had mine 12/29/2013. I lost 82 lbs. (100% of my excess weight). I kept it off for 3 yrs. and have gained back 30 lbs. I’ve re-joined WW and am using my post-surgery techniques as well to try to get it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • NeedsTheBeach

      Getting a little nervous about post surgery life adaptation. I really want to succeed, but habits are so hard to break.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AshMarie794

      Think I am hitting a stall-ish period. Weight loss is def slowing and I need a kickstart to get it going again....any suggestions?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      Good news and Meh news...
      Meh: so I think I experienced/am experiencing my first stall-ish since surgery and now I get how frustrating it can be!  So annoying to wake up every morning to watch the scale report a gain or loss of the same 1.5 pounds for over 2 weeks.  *sigh*.  Some say put the scale away, but I log my weight every morning to get a daily moving average of my weight.  So long as this moving average is not heading upwards (which it isn’t and hasn’t since post-op) then I am good with my curent “minimalist” weekly weight loss rate, however small I think it is 🙄.
      However.
      The Good news:
      To allow for some self back patting, and to remind myself of the bigger picture, I set a bunch of interim goals/milestones... a few of which are 10lbs increment weight loss goals:
      So this morning, after hovering within 1.5 pounds of an interim goal for over 2 weeks, I weighed in at 164.8, and officially lost 70 lbs!  In 4 months.  That is 30% of my starting body weight.  Or the equivalent of my 10 year old neice. How crazy is that.
      Next Goal: weigh in at 162lbs to be merely overweight (and not obese!)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • MonnieB

      I am in the Pre-Op stage.  I have 4 more nutrition classes to go to.  I've had my endoscopy with favorable results although I was told I had an abnormal z-line.  Everything looks good so far.  Had my team appointment with the psychologist and have my pulmonologist  this week.  I chose the sleeve
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • istytehcrawk

      Friday marked my first surgiversary, so I wrote 3,000 words about it on Medium: https://medium.com/@mistyfritz/life-after-having-my-intestines-rerouted-d7baf9c8c39f?source=friends_link&sk=e24f2259918ac091cdbbb8a8f24b1f63
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×