Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unquenchable thirst

Does anyone have an unquenchable thirst? I’m sipping Water all day. Almost so much that I’m cutting into the 30 min window before and after eating and I may skip eating so I can continue drinking. I’ve tried iced water and cutting low sugar Gatorade with water but nothing is helping. It’s also annoying that I can’t do anything but sip. I really want to chug. Water was always my friend but now it’s not doing the job. Any tips?

Edited by tmrtyty2018

Just a question, are you a diabetic?

Did you drink tons of Water leading up to your surgery? I do and think my brain will be telling me after surgery that I still need to drink the same amount of water. I think as long as you aren't peeing all the time and your water consumption is at the recommended level, it might just be that you will have to become accustomed to taking in less water.

3 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

Did you drink tons of Water leading up to your surgery? I do and think my brain will be telling me after surgery that I still need to drink the same amount of Water. I think as long as you aren't peeing all the time and your water consumption is at the recommended level, it might just be that you will have to become accustomed to taking in less water.

Yes I was a huge water drinker. All I drank all day long. I’ve water was like dessert for me. I wake up in the middle of the night to drink water. Keep ice water by my bed.

48 minutes ago, tmrtyty2018 said:

Yes I was a huge Water drinker. All I drank all day long. I’ve water was like dessert for me. I wake up in the middle of the night to drink water. Keep ice water by my bed.

I'm the same way. I was thinking I might have to cut back before surgery. I drink way more than is recommended. I take a gallon jug of water to work and it's gone when I get home. I think we're wateraholics. LOL

@tmrtyty2018 @Ed_NW drinking that much Water is not a bad thing guys, I liked water before surgery and I still like it now and the taste never changed for me after surgery. I’m 6 weeks post op and can really drink a lot of water quickly, I don’t chug like I used to but can take big gulps at a time, I was concerned about being able to gulp a lot of water but another poster who’s almost close to a year post op told me that she can chug water and that made me feel much better. That’s water only...I can only eat 1-2 oz of food at each meal because restriction is great.

I wish the both of you well

If you can swallow normal (not-gulp) size mouthfuls of Water, go ahead. The sipping is really only necessary in the very beginning because your stomach was so swollen that only small amounts of liquid could trickle through. If you swallowed too much, you'd just throw it all up. I was released to drink normally after a week.

Once you drink normally, it's much easier to space out the windows for food. If you swallow too much and throw up or if it causes pain, go back to sipping.

Good luck!

Thanks all. I’m still sipping. If I try to gulp I get the bubbly feeling and am immediately burping. I’ll just stick to sipping ice Water. At least that is better than room temp water. That does nothing for me. Hate room temp water.

20 minutes ago, tmrtyty2018 said:

Thanks all. I’m still sipping. If I try to gulp I get the bubbly feeling and am immediately burping. I’ll just stick to sipping ice Water. At least that is better than room temp Water. That does nothing for me. Hate room temp water.

Try sugar-free popsicles, too. The cold may help with the swelling.

Hi I also loved drinking Water, water to me tasted weird in the beginning, but now it’s ok as long as it’s ICE cold, I also eat sugar free ice pops that helps a whole lot!

‘Good luck

Yes! I had this too for the first couple of months actually. I would say that around 3 months out, I was FINALLY able to drink until I was comfortable.

And I was a waterholic too. I drank SO much Water that I would have to get up 2-3 times in the night to use the restroom. But now, that's GONE and I love it. I'm able to get a great nights sleep without getting up.

This surgery has to be the best thing I've ever done for myself for so many reasons. And my husband noted that I no longer snore either.

It will get better. Hang in there and keep on sipping.

1 hour ago, Snapple said:

Yes! I had this too for the first couple of months actually. I would say that around 3 months out, I was FINALLY able to drink until I was comfortable.

And I was a waterholic too. I drank SO much Water that I would have to get up 2-3 times in the night to use the restroom. But now, that's GONE and I love it. I'm able to get a great nights sleep without getting up.

This surgery has to be the best thing I've ever done for myself for so many reasons. And my husband noted that I no longer snore either.

It will get better. Hang in there and keep on sipping.

Thank you. It’s gotten a little better. I’m cutting low sugar Gatorade with ice electrolyte Water and it seems to be helping. I don’t wake up in the middle of the night now with a dry mouth but I do have to sip first thing in the morning. Slowly but surely getting there.