Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The process to get to surgery

The process to get to surgery seems forever. Beginning of September I start the process with the seminar. Then I wait till October 10 to see a nutritionist. Now I have to wait till November 21st to do the psych appointment. Wowsers

I agree and mine is a revision from a band so I would have hoped it would go quicker.

Saw my surgeon on 18 Sept. He suggested a revision to RNY and I was given all the info and costings. Did some research , discussed it with hubby and decided I want to go ahead so called his office a week later to ask what the process was. Apparently I have to see the surgeon again before I can be given a date, I was hoping that I would at least be given a provisional date as I like to be organised and know whats what. Seeing him on 29th Oct and the NUT a day later. Did manage to get a referral for the preop consult and that Dr had a cancellation so got in on the same day. That was a bit weird, I was expecting the ECG but hadn't been warned he would need to look at my armpit!

So hoping that I get a date soon.

Most of us have a 6 month Dr assisted diet to complete so it could always be worse. Take the time to do all the research you can and be ready for all the changes to come.

A few have only 3 months, but not too frequent. I know it seems like it drags but you really need the time to study, get your head together and prepare. It is a life changes and alterations. But I have worked and endured, actually took me over 3 years but THATS another story, only 5 months with D4 Needleman and I am securely on Team Kangaroo (because We All Have Pouches) and proud to be there!

The first time I began trying to get RNY, my insurance had a ONE YEAR wait before I could even start the process. They required that I go to a special gym that logged all of my exercises and electronically transmitted it to them so they could make sure I was going to the gym! I also had to lose 15% of my body weight. I made it 5 months in, and had lost NO WEIGHT, and gave up at that point.

Three years later, I have a new insurance and it took me three months to get my surgical date. My office has a team of multiple nutritionists, etc, so getting appointments was much easier. Now just waiting for the surgery... Next week I have to take a 3 hour online class with an exam that sums up everything I've learned, and then the week after I have to take a 1 hour consent class with an exam. I have to score an 80% on both to proceed with my 11/1 surgery date. I'm sure it's easy, basic stuff though.

Started in April 2018 with the seminar. 4 mos insurance wait period. 4 nutritionist appointments and 1 psych. Surgery is in 2 days Oct 16th.

I started my classes January 2017. We couldn't schedule all our appointments. So, when you finished one task, you then could schedule for the next task/appointment.

I got my schedule date October 10th 2017. It has been a year and a great adventure . So, I had my surgery about 9 months from start date.

Good luck to you and your adventure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I took about 5 months to get all of the appointments and classes done . (July thru November)

It’s worth the wait and hoops!