Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EGD, Ulcers, & Sleev

Damn it. Just had my pre-op EGD. They found 2 ulcers and duodenitis. Total shock as I have zero symptoms, never had reflux, etc. Treating with 12 weeks of Protonix then repeat EGD. She cleared me for surgery in 4-6 weeks. I had been on target for surgery mid-December but now I’m wondering if they will postpone me until it’s verified as treated.

Has anyone else had the sleeve with evidence of ulcers on the EGD?

When I had my first EGD they found 3 ulcers. I had to wait until after the 3-month treatment period and having another EGD to clear me for surgery.

42 minutes ago, HugMama said:

When I had my first EGD they found 3 ulcers. I had to wait until after the 3-month treatment period and having another EGD to clear me for surgery.

I heard from my care coordinator. Once they get the pathology results they will have the surgeon review. But it sounds like they will delay like you’re saying. She did mention that he may prefer another type of WLS. My ulcers are right next to the pyloric valve so a bypass would not affect them. Not sure how I feel about that but we’ll see. Just started treatment.

Good luck. After treatment I am on double doses of nexium, ranitidine, and taking pantaprazole daily. I went back for a third EGD and still had gastritis but was finally cleared for surgery. Hopefully after the ulcers heal they will have reevaluate what is best to proceed. Take care of yourself. Anything you can do to reduce acidic food and drinks will help.

Just now, HugMama said:

Good luck. After treatment I am on double doses of nexium, ranitidine, and taking pantaprazole daily. I went back for a third EGD and still had gastritis but was finally cleared for surgery. Hopefully after the ulcers heal they will have reevaluate what is best to proceed. Take care of yourself. Anything you can do to reduce acidic food and drinks will help.

Ugh! Were you having symptoms? That’s the thing. I’ve never had an issue. It’s just so weird!!!

I did have the gnawing feeling in my stomach when I was hungry, like something was eating out my stomach and I was going to die if I didn’t eat something quick. I also had really bad heartburn. I just thought it was reflux though. I didn’t think it was significant enough to get checked out.

Just now, HugMama said:

I did have the gnawing feeling in my stomach when I was hungry, like something was eating out my stomach and I was going to die if I didn’t eat something quick. I also had really bad heartburn. I just thought it was reflux though. I didn’t think it was significant enough to get checked out.

It’s weird because I’ve never had a single symptom until the EGD. Now my stomach aches. It’s a dull hurt. But not before.

Sounds like what I call the gnawing feeling...it’s a dull ache that goes away temporarily with food. I hope the medicine you are on takes care of the issue. I don’t remember what medicine I was on, I just remember it being a nasty tasting liquid (very metallic tasting). Ugh!

36 minutes ago, HugMama said:

Sounds like what I call the gnawing feeling...it’s a dull ache that goes away temporarily with food. I hope the medicine you are on takes care of the issue. I don’t remember what medicine I was on, I just remember it being a nasty tasting liquid (very metallic tasting). Ugh!

Were you positive for H Pylori? I’m waiting on pathology but I’ve heard that treatment is gross. I tested H Pylori negative in the breath test.

No, my test was negative as well.

Just now, HugMama said:

No, my test was negative as well.

Hmmmm, she just has me on bid Protonix

Just to chime in... I tested positive for h. Pylori. 2 weeks of antibiotics to treat it. Something like 12 pills a day. It certainly wasn’t a great time, but definitely doable.

1 minute ago, insta_adventurer said:

Just to chime in... I tested positive for h. Pylori. 2 weeks of antibiotics to treat it. Something like 12 pills a day. It certainly wasn’t a great time, but definitely doable.

Thanks! Did you have ulcers too?

No ulcer, but severe gastritis which is basically irritation (probably a precursor to actual ulcer). I also experienced the gnawing feeling when hungry.

I’m now 2 months post op and still take omeprazole for acid. One of the reasons I chose and was directed towards bypass vs the sleeve was that I had pretty bad GERD and quite a bit of esophageal irritation as a result. GERD can lead to Barrets esophagus, which can lead to esophageal cancer... which is what my pops died from 2.5 years ago... so I was not going to take my chances with me that!

1 minute ago, insta_adventurer said:

No ulcer, but severe gastritis which is basically irritation (probably a precursor to actual ulcer). I also experienced the gnawing feeling when hungry.

I’m now 2 months post op and still take omeprazole for acid. One of the reasons I chose and was directed towards bypass vs the sleeve was that I had pretty bad GERD and quite a bit of esophageal irritation as a result. GERD can lead to Barrets esophagus, which can lead to esophageal cancer... which is what my pops died from 2.5 years ago... so I was not going to take my chances with me that!

I’ll be interested to hear what my surgeon recommends. I was planning on the sleeve since I had no GERD issue or metabolic disease we were trying to cure. But perhaps a bypass may be better. We’ll see. I really wanted to avoid some of the RNY side effects.

I’m glad you’re doing well!!