Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Defeated

I saw my bariatrician yesterday for my 4 month post op. She said that I should have lost 40 lbs by now. I have lost 20 since my surgery on 5/2/18. I know I need to exercise more and tighten up my diet by decreasing carbs and increasing Protein. I am going to try increasing my calorie intake to 1000 cal as she suggested and pray that my weight loss picks up. I have only been losing a 1/2 to 1 lb every other week. I have a follow up with her in two months and want to be 20 lbs down by then. Feeling so low today!

Current weight 184
Surgery weight 205
Highest weight 222
Surgery: Gastric Sleeve 5/2/18
48 yrs old, 5’4”

Don't feel defeated. Take this as a lesson learned and move on towards a positive place. I'm not big on carbs anyway, but find recipes for dishes you like that are low in carbs. Instead of Fettuccine Alfredo made with Pasta, use Zoodles (zucchini noodles). Find a way to transform your old habits to create healthy new ones.

You got this... Chin up, work on getting your 90g of Proteins and plenty of Water and you'll be dropping that 20 in no time.

Don't feel bad! You know what you've got to do to make positive changes, now you just have to apply those changes. I do understand though. Anytime I have a lower than usual loss, I get a little disappointed, but then I just get happy that the scale is going down and not up like it used to!

Don't be discouraged. You've lost, be proud of that. You know the answers to what you have to do to get it done. Just try to focus more and be more disciplined. If you need support you know you have everyone here to help you out. Try finding replacements for the carbs you enjoy eating. I just made a small batch of cauliflower tots and they came out really good. Both my teenage sons tried them and I got thumbs up from both. I just told they were tots and they had no idea it was made from cauliflower.

Stay positive, you know you got this!!!

Bariatrician? Bariatric Nutritionist?

You didn't start out super big so weight loss can be slower for lower bmi people. Up your plain Water intake, and Protein to 80gr, carbs under 50. Vary your types of protein, don't eat the same menus weekly. Don't worry about the calories so much. Slow losses are fine and there will be stalls. Usually inches are lost during stalls. Everyone loses at different rates and to put an exact number on expected weight loss is silly advice and not helpful.

I went back and read some of your previous posts.....you said "I ate 5 pieces of dark chocolate, some ice cream, and a chocolate chip cookie all in one day" and another post you mentioned eating a "brownie" and trailmix. It really sounds like working with someone in the therapy field to help you work through triggers and habits and understanding why you make those choices would really help you. It's a very hard journey (I am only week 5) and the biggest lessons I've had so far have been from understanding how I became this size in the first place, it's like going through withdraw. You can do this!

Already on that, 😊

1 minute ago, hopeful333 said:

Already on that, 😊

Awesome!!!!! Then you absolutely got this!!!

Best thing I did was meeting with a psychologist. I was able to figure out my triggers and change my attitude and focus to know I am worth it.

Please don't beat yourself up. We have all spent years doing that to ourselves.

Lowering carbs, eating more Protein, and exercising as you said will help you reach your goals!

Your exercise routine doesn't have to be crazy. I hit a stall at my third week, then added exercise and the stall went away. I walk on the treadmill at an incline, initially for short times and now Im up to 45 minutes. Its only been a week and a half! I also do light weights (under 20 lbs per surgeon). I make the treadmill fun by watching a series on netflix that my spouse doesn't want to watch so that adds a guilty pleasure to it! Find something you like and get moving!

As for the carb cutting, I feel your pain! I'd kill for a ritz cracker, but cant do it. My tummy is still in the sensitive stage as the 1/4 scrambled egg I had for Breakfast this morning let me know! I highly recommend using the app: My Fitness Pal or any other free food tracking app. It really helps guide me every day! I can tell how much protein I've had, carbs, fats etc. I have made much better choices. just by looking at the numbers!

Don't give up on yourself! Soon Fall will be here and that's is a beautiful time to walk if you don't want to hit the gym. Good Luck! We've got your back!

Thanks so much for the encouragement

08/29/2018 11:38 AM, hopeful333 said:

I saw my bariatrician yesterday for my 4 month post op. She said that I should have lost 40 lbs by now. I have lost 20 since my surgery on 5/2/18. I know I need to exercise more and tighten up my diet by decreasing carbs and increasing Protein. I am going to try increasing my calorie intake to 1000 cal as she suggested and pray that my weight loss picks up. I have only been losing a 1/2 to 1 lb every other week. I have a follow up with her in two months and want to be 20 lbs down by then. Feeling so low today!

Current weight 184

Surgery weight 205

Highest weight 222

Surgery: Gastric Sleeve 5/2/18

48 yrs old, 5’4”
I’m going to give you some straight talk. 
You know exactly what you have to do to get the most out of this chance you have while it’s still in the best, early stages.
Right now you are choosing to continue to hold on to foods you want and habits that are easy.
When you make the choice to commit to the tool you have, the chance you fought for, everything will turn around.
I do not mean this to sound harsh.
I mean it in a practical, common sense manner.
You know all this already.
You are lucky enough to be starting out smaller. You could take advantage or that...or not.
Like me, you’re not the youngest kid in the school yard, so why would you want to waste time messing around? It just gets more difficult as time passes.
It’s all in your hands. It’s yours to make the most of. Yours to leave sitting on the shelf.

You are actually pretty low BMI already. What is your goal weight? I am 5’ 5” and was 234 when I was sleeved. My weight loss slowed down when I got to 185. I’m going up and down a bit but still down.

You will get there!!

If you are disappointed with yourself then you need to ask yourself why. If you are not following the meal plans the dietician gave you or the exercise plan you were told then you won't lose 20lbs in the next four months. You have to get on board and do what you were told to do. I am only a week out of the gastric sleeve and have lost 20lbs as of today. Its not hard. Your are making it hard.