Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Ugh, I've been doing so good and then my mind tries to destroy it. On Saturday night, my fiancé and I ordered Mexican. That's not a big deal, I get just chicken and veggies and eat like 1/16th of it. But I was mad that I couldn't eat more. I kept waiting every 30mins and taking more bites. It got ridiculous. I realized it was ridiculous. I know this is all a mind game and my mind is just catching up and realizing my new stomach can't do what it wants. But I fear if I do not get this under control, I may stretch my pouch out. Does anyone have any issues similar with mentally wanting to binge? How do you cope? I wasn't even that hungry, but it was almost like I was sad I couldn't watch tv and binge like in the past. I did it again last night, I kept wanting to eat more food. Thankfully my food choices are not bad, but if I'm already fighting this, I worry about the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggle with this, too. Once you're full, immediately put the left-overs away. If you're in a restaurant, ask for the to-go box when you order so that you're not stuck there with a full plate in front of you waiting for the server to get back to you.

Part of this is just acknowledging that life isn't fair. We're not those people who can eat anything and stay trim. But think about it - life isn't fair - we've been given this amazing opportunity to improve our lives that a lot of people can't take advantage of; whether they can't get time off work, or can't afford it, or have health problems that preclude them from surgery, etc. We've been blessed.

If all else fails, once you've eaten, pour salt all over the left-overs so that they're inedible. (Old Weight-Watchers strategy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I struggle with this, too. Once you're full, immediately put the left-overs away. If you're in a restaurant, ask for the to-go box when you order so that you're not stuck there with a full plate in front of you waiting for the server to get back to you.

Part of this is just acknowledging that life isn't fair. We're not those people who can eat anything and stay trim. But think about it - life isn't fair - we've been given this amazing opportunity to improve our lives that a lot of people can't take advantage of; whether they can't get time off work, or can't afford it, or have health problems that preclude them from surgery, etc. We've been blessed.

If all else fails, once you've eaten, pour salt all over the left-overs so that they're inedible. (Old Weight-Watchers strategy)

I will keep these tips in mind. It is true, life isn't fair, no matter which side you look at. And I enjoy the feeling of being 80lbs smaller, so why does my mind want to sabotage it. Maybe it's an old habit I'm trying to break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done this too, today actually.

I bought a sausage sandwich from the supermarket deli counter and could only eat a third of it.

I was driving so after about half an hour, I ate another third and when I got home, I warmed it back up and ate the last third. I didn't feel good about it at all but reasoned it wasn't a massive thing as it was roughly 350 cals and it was all I had had up to that point (1pm).

I did post about a very similar thing a while back, probably when I was just a month out myself. I feared that I could wreck the whole thing by constantly doing this. However, I do have my head screwed on most of the time and I haven't continued to do that. I agree with Orchids solution, if you want to eat more but know you shouldn't, trash it so you are unable to, that way you don't have to fight your willpower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neversaynever said:

I did post about a very similar thing a while back, probably when I was just a month out myself. I feared that I could wreck the whole thing by constantly doing this. However, I do have my head screwed on most of the time and I haven't continued to do that. I agree with Orchids solution, if you want to eat more but know you shouldn't, trash it so you are unable to, that way you don't have to fight your willpower.

After all, we've all gone through this very expensive surgery and difficult transition. Why on Earth do we feel bad about putting $8 worth of extra food in the trash? I'm as frugal as the next girl, but it's not like we grew up in the Great Depression!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Neversaynever said:

I have done this too, today actually.

I bought a sausage sandwich from the supermarket deli counter and could only eat a third of it.

I was driving so after about half an hour, I ate another third and when I got home, I warmed it back up and ate the last third. I didn't feel good about it at all but reasoned it wasn't a massive thing as it was roughly 350 cals and it was all I had had up to that point (1pm).

I did post about a very similar thing a while back, probably when I was just a month out myself. I feared that I could wreck the whole thing by constantly doing this. However, I do have my head screwed on most of the time and I haven't continued to do that. I agree with Orchids solution, if you want to eat more but know you shouldn't, trash it so you are unable to, that way you don't have to fight your willpower.

Yes it is a good idea. Do you just try to keep within your calories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have actually poured dishwashing liquid over the tops of stuff in the trash. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MissLindseyR said:

Ugh, I've been doing so good and then my mind tries to destroy it. On Saturday night, my fiancé and I ordered Mexican. That's not a big deal, I get just chicken and veggies and eat like 1/16th of it. But I was mad that I couldn't eat more. I kept waiting every 30mins and taking more bites. It got ridiculous. I realized it was ridiculous. I know this is all a mind game and my mind is just catching up and realizing my new stomach can't do what it wants. But I fear if I do not get this under control, I may stretch my pouch out. Does anyone have any issues similar with mentally wanting to binge? How do you cope? I wasn't even that hungry, but it was almost like I was sad I couldn't watch tv and binge like in the past. I did it again last night, I kept wanting to eat more food. Thankfully my food choices are not bad, but if I'm already fighting this, I worry about the future.

This post is such an accurate representation of why this surgery is only a tool. We can cheat and we can sabotage. Many people don't admit that they can just wait those 30 mins to eat more. Thank you for your honesty. I would have to agree with @Orchids&Dragons advice. The minute my food comes, I ask for a to-go box. I also clean up food right away after cooking. I've said this from the beginning, that its depressing to me to go out to eat because I get to enjoy 3-5 bites, and then I'm full. It's frustrating when you actually enjoy food, and perhaps like me, a foodie. I like to eat. I never ate because I was bored or because I was stressed. I actually LOVED eating. So for me, it's so much more mental than physical. I've had to overcome a lot of bad habits and mental struggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MissLindseyR said:

Ugh, I've been doing so good and then my mind tries to destroy it. On Saturday night, my fiancé and I ordered Mexican. That's not a big deal, I get just chicken and veggies and eat like 1/16th of it. But I was mad that I couldn't eat more. I kept waiting every 30mins and taking more bites. It got ridiculous. I realized it was ridiculous. I know this is all a mind game and my mind is just catching up and realizing my new stomach can't do what it wants. But I fear if I do not get this under control, I may stretch my pouch out. Does anyone have any issues similar with mentally wanting to binge? How do you cope? I wasn't even that hungry, but it was almost like I was sad I couldn't watch tv and binge like in the past. I did it again last night, I kept wanting to eat more food. Thankfully my food choices are not bad, but if I'm already fighting this, I worry about the future.

Those old behavior made you feel better in the moment. May be why you feel a bit sad to let them go.

All of us have behaviors to overcome to be successful long term. The good thing is you recognized you are stress /emotional eating. The next step is finding another way to cope without food. I'm sure there are many here that can give you ideas on what they do to cope. An option is to speak with a counselor/therapist.

Ways I cope:

Keep busy. I know the feelings will pass. It helps keep my mind off food.

Listing to music and going for a walk. I process mystress/ emotions while I exercise. Confronting life's issues has worked better for me than soothing them with food.

Hope you find what works for you.

Some things you may already know

Healthy snacking or more frequent meals that keep your calories and macros in weight loss range is fine.

Be mindful if you see yourself grazing. It's a common reason why people gain after surgery.

"Grazing" is a maladaptive repetitive eating pattern. Eating more frequent/ repetitive meals that put you over your calorie and macro goals. This can be a combination of healthy and unhealthy food choices. It is easy to eat substantial calories and gain weight. It's as if you never had surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5748772/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^I've had hungry hungry hippo days where nothing appeases me but to add a "semi-crap snack". I'm ALWAYS appalled at how many calories there are in this snack and for such relatively little volume. And invariably, it throws off my meal schedule where I'm not hungry and I have to fight myself, not to say, "Well, I've already blown it and am not that hungry--therefore I shall continue with just another little crap-filled, high-calorie snack. LOL.

And these are so-called HEALTHY snacks:

Quest Protein chips and any kind of dip...even made with Greek Yogurt
Parmesan cheese Crisps with Peanut or Almond Butter
Union Cafe Bar Nuts (homemade with Truvia)
Cheese/Salami/Pepperoni
Apples & Peanut Butter
Almonds and Damn-Near Anything
Cocoa Almonds and ALL.THE.THINGS!!!! (I feel like I'm yelling. Am I yelling?)
Hummus on my finger...or with veggies
Did I mention full-fat cheddar cheese of ANY KIND?
Real Ranch or Onion Dip with any veggie or pepperoni chip

And the list could go on all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

^^^I've had hungry hungry hippo days where nothing appeases me but to add a "semi-crap snack". I'm ALWAYS appalled at how many calories there are in this snack and for such relatively little volume. And invariably, it throws off my meal schedule where I'm not hungry and I have to fight myself, not to say, "Well, I've already blown it and am not that hungry--therefore I shall continue with just another little crap-filled, high-calorie snack. LOL.

And these are so-called HEALTHY snacks:

Quest Protein chips and any kind of dip...even made with Greek Yogurt
Parmesan cheese Crisps with Peanut or Almond Butter
Union Cafe Bar Nuts (homemade with Truvia)
Cheese/Salami/Pepperoni
Apples & Peanut Butter
Almonds and Damn-Near Anything
Cocoa Almonds and ALL.THE.THINGS!!!! (I feel like I'm yelling. Am I yelling?)
Hummus on my finger...or with veggies
Did I mention full-fat cheddar cheese of ANY KIND?
Real Ranch or Onion Dip with any veggie or pepperoni chip

And the list could go on all day.

Here's the plus side to my swallowing issues: I can't eat a single thing you've listed except maybe the hummus, if it were watered down (but then, who'd want it?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

This post is such an accurate representation of why this surgery is only a tool. We can cheat and we can sabotage. Many people don't admit that they can just wait those 30 mins to eat more. Thank you for your honesty. I would have to agree with @Orchids&Dragons advice. The minute my food comes, I ask for a to-go box. I also clean up food right away after cooking. I've said this from the beginning, that its depressing to me to go out to eat because I get to enjoy 3-5 bites, and then I'm full. It's frustrating when you actually enjoy food, and perhaps like me, a foodie. I like to eat. I never ate because I was bored or because I was stressed. I actually LOVED eating. So for me, it's so much more mental than physical. I've had to overcome a lot of bad habits and mental struggles.

It is just a tool! I enjoyed food too. I think that's my problem, I looked at food and eating almost as an event instead of fuel. How have you overcome some of these mental struggles? I will say I am proud I am realizing what I am doing now and not in denial over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

Those old behavior made you feel better in the moment. May be why you feel a bit sad to let them go.

All of us have behaviors to overcome to be successful long term. The good thing is you recognized you are stress /emotional eating. The next step is finding another way to cope without food. I'm sure there are many here that can give you ideas on what they do to cope. An option is to speak with a counselor/therapist.

Ways I cope:

Keep busy. I know the feelings will pass. It helps keep my mind off food.

Listing to music and going for a walk. I process mystress/ emotions while I exercise. Confronting life's issues has worked better for me than soothing them with food.

Hope you find what works for you.

Some things you may already know

Healthy snacking or more frequent meals that keep your calories and macros in weight loss range is fine.

Be mindful if you see yourself grazing. It's a common reason why people gain after surgery.

"Grazing" is a maladaptive repetitive eating pattern. Eating more frequent/ repetitive meals that put you over your calorie and macro goals. This can be a combination of healthy and unhealthy food choices. It is easy to eat substantial calories and gain weight. It's as if you never had surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5748772/

See I did that thing where I was all nah, it's been a rough Monday, I don't want to go walk, even when my 9 year old suggested it!! And then tried to eat more than needed. That's those old behaviors! Walking and exercising help me, I need to get back to them. Thank you for your reply. I'm going to check this article out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

^^^I've had hungry hungry hippo days where nothing appeases me but to add a "semi-crap snack". I'm ALWAYS appalled at how many calories there are in this snack and for such relatively little volume. And invariably, it throws off my meal schedule where I'm not hungry and I have to fight myself, not to say, "Well, I've already blown it and am not that hungry--therefore I shall continue with just another little crap-filled, high-calorie snack. LOL.

And these are so-called HEALTHY snacks:

Quest Protein chips and any kind of dip...even made with Greek Yogurt
Parmesan cheese Crisps with Peanut or Almond Butter
Union Cafe Bar Nuts (homemade with Truvia)
Cheese/Salami/Pepperoni
Apples & Peanut Butter
Almonds and Damn-Near Anything
Cocoa Almonds and ALL.THE.THINGS!!!! (I feel like I'm yelling. Am I yelling?)
Hummus on my finger...or with veggies
Did I mention full-fat cheddar cheese of ANY KIND?
Real Ranch or Onion Dip with any veggie or pepperoni chip

And the list could go on all day.

For me the good thing is when I'm at work, the only food I allow myself is what I bring and it's very in sync with what I should be eating, but at night, if I have "extra" time, extra as in, I'm not walking or cleaning, I can watch tv and get it in my head I need a snack. Night time gets me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×