Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All.

I had my Sleeve surgery 8/16/2018 and had the best of times! The doc said it was straight forward, the recovery was relatively painless and I was able to do clear and full liquids...just one little thing that got by me...I DIDN'T STAY ON TOP OF THE STOOL SOFTENER!!

Day 7 cam around and i thought I was going to DIE! I COULDN'T pass a poo nor urinate! I called the doc and really got no help, just some worlds of assurance that it would pass naturally (like a baby!)...I went to the ER in hopes they would give me an enema or DO SOMETHING!! But alas, they only hydrated me and verified that there was no obstruction ( I can't WAIT for that bill!!) ...I was able to void a little, but it was only thanks to my sister helping me at home was I able to get relief AFTER 2 FLIPPING DAYS OF TORTURE!!

I am now FOR SURE on top of the softener, but my poor body has been traumatized and is still afraid! I will see the doc for a follow up on Tue. I fell like I know NOTHING about this new way of life and feel completely unprepared! I really try to sip the hours I am not eating, but still feel dehydrated and don't want to have negative results because of this.

Any words of advice or encouragement?

Thank you all so much, I know WE GOT THIS!!

I struggled really badly with this as well. Hydrate, for sure. I'm taking Benefiber twice daily, mixes into Water or shake really well (can't tell it's there, and I notice things like that pretty easily). If I'm more than two days out from a bowel movement I'll start taking a dose of Miralax a day. In the last week or so I've begun taking a gelcap softener, 240 mg of docusate Calcium, that my pharmacist recommended and said was completely safe to use daily (it's worked every time I've taken it) (at first my surgeon's office wouldn't let me take it, too big to try to swallow yet, he said, but I'm nearly six weeks out so I've started taking it).

Once, about three weeks out, I was frankly desperate for relief (a week in between bowel movements). My surgeon's office told me to drink half a bottle of magnesium citrate again (used it to flush my system pre-surgery), sip by sip, in between sips of water. It did do the trick, but watch out for over-using things like that, they work by sucking water from your system into your intestines, and your body needs that water pretty desperately.

I wrote a post about my poo journey. It was traumatic! I've been doing fine with miralax and no longer have to use it daily. If I got a day with out having a BM, I'll take miralax for a few days.

Thank you so much Russ D and photogirl70! I'll take your advise with me when I see the doc this Tue.

I truly feel your pain. This is gross, but I sometimes have better luck squatting in my shower and using my hand held shower to moisten down under.

2 minutes ago, Vizslamom said:

I truly feel your pain. This is gross, but I sometimes have better luck squatting in my shower and using my hand held shower to moisten down under.

Good idea. Speaking pf squatting. i did invest in a squatty potty. LOL

13 minutes ago, Vizslamom said:

Thank you!! I found that out when I went to wash off and what do you know???!!! :)

Here's to bright sunny unpainful days where every runs smooth as silk!

I have had issues with Constipation too. I have found that taking 3 Colaces a day and two doses of Benefiber M-F keep me regular. I tried to stop the Benefiber and had to start back. (I was the opposite before surgery)

And the way things💩going for me and tomorrow will be one month. At least 1 Miralax a day, if nothing, 2 miralax, still nothing? MoM and 75-80% it works promptly, if not it will in the morning. Almost envy you folks with loose stool, it is like my bowels or their muscles forget how to work. Maybe little in, little out?

6 days after surgery I couldn’t poop & had been taking a stool softener. Ended up buying dulcolax suppositories and it did the job. I have only had to use them a couple times.

And the way things[emoji90]going for me and tomorrow will be one month. At least 1 Miralax a day, if nothing, 2 miralax, still nothing? MoM and 75-80% it works promptly, if not it will in the morning. Almost envy you folks with loose stool, it is like my bowels or their muscles forget how to work. Maybe little in, little out?
I take a swig if MOM every night an d every morning it works! I have tried all the other stuff - miralax, benefiber etc and MOM is the best for me. I have often felt the same as you it as if my body has forgotten how to poop!

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app