Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? for people with Reflux

So I’m 8 Days postop sleeve. One of my biggest worries was being in the unfortunate statistic group of people that developed reflux. My question is, when did reflux start for you after you had your sleeve? Immediately postop? A month? 6 weeks? I’m just wondering if there it a specific time that needs to pass before I know if I’m ‘in the clear’ so to speak.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There's no magic window. It can develop months or even years later.

My reflux started immediately. I'm on prescription omeprazole 2x/day, and TUMS as needed. Surgeon will decide before the end of the year if I need a revision to bypass.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons
  • Like 1

I was put on omeprazole once a day for 3 months after surgery. Stopped on 8/2 and so far have had slight indigestion a few times which responds well to a couple of tums. PA says to go back on omeprazole if needed but I really do not want to take it long term due to side effects and risks. So far so good....

• Like 1

Mine started 18 months after surgery, but my hiatal hernia redeveloped, so I think that's why.

• Thanks 1

Mine started a week after surgery. I was on omeprazole before surgery (which i stopped a few days before and after surgery) and my surgeon said to start taking again when I saw him for my 2 week post op. I recently switched to Protonix 1x per day and i'm fine. But OMG if i forget to take them...lord have mercy on me! I get heartburn right away, anything will set it off. I have my 3 month follow up with my surgeon next month and will be def. discussing this with him. I'm terrified of having revision surgery.

• Like 1

I had it for about 15 years prior to the surgery. It has improved somewhat since the surgery (I’m able to take generic omeprazole and the symptoms are improved).