Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering stage Questions

So... I am considering weight loss surgery. I wanna talk to you guys before I talk to my doctor (who usually prefers conservative treatment and would be a hard sell?) I was on here about a year ago but then I lost my insurance so I gave up on the idea... Tho now I have insurance again... (And close to 5k savings...)

Here are my concerns
1) I have been obese since early childhood. I currently weigh 320. I have done weight watchers and Paleo and can't get below 275 (which is what I weighed in early highschool). Usually at some point I fall lff the band wagon (as you all know it is a tremendous amount of work, Zumba every day, and counting points, making everything from scratch...)

I fear I would be a failure because my body just flatly refuses to get lower then my highschool weight. Unlike others who can get down to 198 but then balloon back up... I haven't been under 200 since I was about 11.

2) I have heard stories of people who lose a lot of weight and they are tired and cold all the time from low matabolism... I heard weight loss surgery prevents this...
Does it?

3) I work around food and hear that is a risk factor for WLS failure.

4) I worry I will be full after 5 bites but hungry again in an hour... That isn't gonna help me lose weight unless I am full between meals. I hate being hungry- its painful to me. I just can't white knuckle through if I am hungry between meals.

6) I worry about mal-nutrition, some studies have shown even with vitimins and good nutrition people become malnourished.

7) I have bad knees and take Ibuprofen and naproxin, I worry about the surgery making pain meds dangerous

8) I worry about getting depressed which I hear is a side effect

9) I feel pretty good on Paleo but I fall off the band wagon partly cuz it is so much work to make everything from scratch. Do you have to make all your food from scratch? No tv dinners and canned Soup (as a single mom I sometimes go the easy route which is my downfall often)

10) How active do I have to be?
I consider myself moderately active. I enjoy hiking, swimming, soft ball, yoga, and stuff on weekends... But I don't have time for 2 hours a day (which is something people who lose 100lbs naturally have to do for life- and it just doesn't seem possible while working full time and being a single mom). 30 min a day, and a few hours on weekend (especially in summer) I could do. But I do have other time obligations

11) does fruit cause dumping? Can you hage coffee with milk? Can you have nuts? Can you have treats on special occasions? Whatever about cough Syrup? What about sandwiches (common hiking fair)

12) I worry about getting enough hydration. Sometimes I realized I haven't drunk all day and I guzzle Water (which I don't think would be an option any more)

This is all assuming all goes well...

I am sleeved, so can only answer for that

2) I have heard stories of people who lose a lot of weight and they are tired and cold all the time from low matabolism... I heard weight loss surgery prevents this...
Does it?

Being cold is sometimes a side effect. I have not experienced it. But I'm not yet at goal

3) I work around food and hear that is a risk factor for WLS failure.

Yes it is. Definitely able to eat around my sleeve if I wanted to. You have to make the mental commitment not to do so

4) I worry I will be full after 5 bites but hungry again in an hour... That isn't gonna help me lose weight unless I am full between meals. I hate being hungry- its painful to me. I just can't white knuckle through if I am hungry between meals.

I am full after 5 bites and then nearly always full and satisfied until next snack or meal time. I am sometimes hungry, either physical or head hunger. At those times I will have a healthy snack

6) I worry about mal-nutrition, some studies have shown even with vitimins and good nutrition people become malnourished.

Not generally an issue w the sleeve

7) I have bad knees and take Ibuprofen and naproxin, I worry about the surgery making pain meds dangerous

Some Dr's allow NASIDS, with limits and precautions

9) I feel pretty good on Paleo but I fall off the band wagon partly cuz it is so much work to make everything from scratch. Do you have to make all your food from scratch? No tv dinners and canned Soup (as a single mom I sometimes go the easy route which is my downfall often)

No need to make everything from scratch. I eat a lot of prepared or semi prepared food from Trader Joe's for example.

10) How active do I have to be?
I consider myself moderately active. I enjoy hiking, swimming, soft ball, yoga, and stuff on weekends... But I don't have time for 2 hours a day (which is something people who lose 100lbs naturally have to do for life- and it just doesn't seem possible while working full time and being a single mom). 30 min a day, and a few hours on weekend (especially in summer) I could do. But I do have other time obligations

I'm terrible, I'm not very active. I do a moderate amount of walking.

11) does fruit cause dumping? Can you hage coffee with milk? Can you have nuts? Can you have treats on special occasions? Whatever about cough Syrup? What about sandwiches (common hiking fair)

Fruit can cause dumping but YMMV. Generally, yes you can have coffee w milk (or a Protein Shake as creamer). Nuts, yes, but watch out they are often a high calorie slider. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to have cough syrup. I eat sandwiches, no issues.

12) I worry about getting enough hydration. Sometimes I realized I haven't drunk all day and I guzzle Water (which I don't think would be an option any more)

You can guzzle after a few weeks or so post op

This is all assuming all goes well...

So, honestly, I'm not sure if you are ready. It's cliche, but this surgery is only a tool. You have to be in the right mental space, and be ready to do your part to be successful. I mean, if you had to give up fruit or nuts, but got your health in return, isn't that worth it. But instead you seem hung up on the small things, like you are looking for excuses. You have to really, really want this, in order to succeed long term.

Hello! I am sleeved as well, and I also believe I can answer, keep in mind that each person is different but I hope that all the answers that you get will help you make your decision and give you some much needed information!

1. I do believe that you will be able to get lower than that easily, especially if you stick to the program and add the appropriate amount, as well as the appropriate exercise depending on the phase you are on. Yes I am a male but the weight that I lost was absolutely insane and happened much faster than I thought it would. I have not been at my current weight in YEARS, almost so long that I feel like I came out of the womb at this weight!

2. I do feel as if last winter was the worst of my lifetime, I was sitting in the house in a knit cap, scarf, gloves and a jacket while the kids were walking around in pajamas.... recently took a cruise to Alaska and it was 50-60's and I felt fine. I usually am a polar bear and enjoy weather in the 30's and 40's. Normally I am able to go outside in just a light jacket, pants and sweater and I am very comfortable. Lets just say that I am curious to see if my cold tolerance has changed over the course of this year and since my weight loss has stabilized I will be able to tolerate it better.

3. I would say that depends on you, I can tell you that my relationship with food has changed, while I can say that working around food may be a trigger, it can also work in your favor if you let it. I do not work around food but I do work for a fire department and people are dropping off good Snacks and food all the time. Prior to surgery I could not say no whatsoever (unless it looked unappetizing) now I am able to walk by and just look.

4. As long as you stick to Protein you will be fine, you will find that protein is your best friend, and when you eat it, you will not be hungry whatsoever. Had to take a 10 hour trip up to PA to pick up my puppy, I was able to eat Breakfast around 9 and make it home and only had a banana and a couple of Protein Shakes. I got home about 9pm and did not feel hungry the entire ride, before I would have stopped and McDonalds and Chick Fil A several times before I got home.

5. As long as you follow the plan you should be fine, I can tell you that there were days that I did not follow the plan because I was not hungry but I was not malnourished. There are still days at almost a year out that I do not really eat much, I have my normal handful of Vitamins and several protein shakes and I am good. I am pretty healthy and definitely malnourished whatsoever!

6. As long as your Dr knows what meds you take you should be absolutely fine, not to mention that you taking off the excess weight will help your joints because they are not carrying all the weight that they are used to carrying. Ask me how I know.......:) Not sure of what surgery you are having but my Dr says that with the VSG NSAIDS are ok. Just as long as I follow the label so they are not an issue for me.

7. Have not had any depression at all, I will say that I was a little moody for a bit because there are times that you realize that you counted on food to cope with certain issues. You have to relearn how to cope and not use food, as well as saying goodbye to old lifelong habits.

8. I am not on Paleo and I do not make about half of my food, I love Chick Fil A and will always love it, I still eat it, but I watch what I eat! Grilled sandwich (only able to eat half) and a small superfood side salad are my typical meal there. Its about you finding the healthier choice and picking it most of the time. I am a cook and enjoy cooking so its pretty easy to fix a protein and low carb veg for me and add in a carbohydrate for the rest of the family. Its all about choices. When I am at the fire station there are times that I just eat a Healthy Choice meal for lunch and call it a day!

9. If you are as active as you say you are, then you should be fine! Hate to bring it up but I can tell you that I have been on several cruises (average weight gain during a 7 day cruise is anywhere between 5-10 pounds) I have been on several and actually lost weight! I watched what I ate and didn't get stupid, and took the stairs almost EVERYWHERE we went on the ship. If you are willing to workout 30-40 minutes several times a week you will be fine!!! Past month has been absolutely insane here and I have not been working out as I should have, but I have still managed to keep my weight the same.

10. I have not had dumping whatsoever (once again I had the VSG) only side affect that I have had is GERD, which I am currently trying to get under control. I have had anything and everything else on your list and more without one issue whatsoever! Only thing is that I notice that I do not tolerate spicy that well, not because it causes serious issues it just makes my stomach more acidic so I have to take some Tums or something.

11. I can tell you from my experience that guzzling will not be an option. Water does not compress, it will change shape but it does not compress. When you swallow a large amount of water and it is too much to easily go through the small pipes that you have it is going to HURT, I can tell you that you will be able to drink normally after awhile (not at first!!!!) but you have to take it easy. One year out I still have to watch how fast I drink!

Hope this helps and good luck !!!

Re: fruit and nuts
I am thinking of how best to do my part when I am on my A game. Like Paleo (lowish carb, lots of the way bariatric surgery ppl seem to eat, zucchini noodles, limited starch, no sugar, etc)

I am thinking of the lifestyle tools I have used when I was successful on Paleo or Weight Watchers.

It might be different with surgery, but sometimes I get STARVING. Its really hard to shop, pick up my kid, run 3 errands, and get home before starting MAKING a healthy dinner, all while gnawing unignorable hunger. So when I am on my "lifestyle A game" I keep fruit and nuts and beef Jerky in my car or purse because they are healthy and not super parishable. Otherwise it is only a matter of time till I stop at McDonald's, or buy that bag of chips in the checkout line, etc.

I have successfully quit sugar several times for months...
I swear I will never eat ssugar again.
Then I entually fall off the band wagon... (I am not entirely sure how it happens... It just does...)

Active:

I have always been active. Fat and active my whole life. It is finally catching up with me (like knee and joint) which is a large part of wanting surgery. So I can keep being active as I love to be.

The bad news is I hate walking. I enjoy hiking, soft ball, swimming, dancing, trampoline, playing, walking around zoos and museums and stuff, yoga, even Zumba sometimes, bike sometimes... But normal walking around the block? Blech.

Maybe if I weighed a lot less tho I would like it? I have literally never been a normal weight. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Cold: I am afraid that being cold would make me not wanna swim or exercise/play in cold weather... That is my main concern about being cold... Otherwise jackets exsist.

Instead merely walking, skip or March around the block!

You will get hungry and you will be tempted by chips and fast food. Surgery does not change that at all.

Then it's like weight watchers where I need to keep healthy appropriate Snacks in car or purse, so when I am starving my only option isn't McDonald's or breakdown and get tempted by chips I wouldn't ordinarily get.

At least with weight watchers that was a very important part of being successful. When I am very, very hungry and need to be away from home for hours (especially shopping) I tend to make bad choices.

A good choice, like having nuts, beef Jerky, and cuties in the car keeps me from making a bad choice from desperation later.

At least that is how it has worked in the past.

2 minutes ago, Medowsweet said:

At least that is how it has worked in the past.

And it most likely won't be different after surgery.

You might be fortunate and have reduced hunger, so that may help. But head hunger isn't affected at all, so chips and fast food are still very tempting.

The only safety net is reduced stomach capacity, so you won't be able to eat a whole combo meal. But capacity will change over time, and you can eat around the restriction if you're determined.

Just like regular dieting, a lot comes down to will power. WLS is just an extra tool that might reduce hunger and will reduce capacity. But it's not magic.

12 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

I swear I will never eat ssugar again.
Then I entually fall off the band wagon... (I am not entirely sure how it happens... It just does...)

I know that there are others on here that will disagree with this statement, but I realize that this is a lifelong journey. It is not a sprint to the finish line and that I will have to change my relationship with food for the rest of my life. That being said surgery helped put ME in control of the food and not the other way around. I still eat crackers from time to time, I also eat sugar from time to time. But it isn't an everyday thing and not in the amounts that I used to consume. I do know that sugar is one of my downfalls so I do watch how much I consume. I also changed my part time job. In essence I was working 240 hrs a month at my main job, and then another 90-120 hours a month at my part time job. That amount of working led to me eating fast food 3-4 meals a day and packing on the pounds like crazy. I still work about 300-320 hours a month but I am prepared and have Protein Shakes in my book bag, in the refrigerator at both jobs as well as Protein Bars. Just like with Keto meal prep is the key! If you plan ahead and keep something high Protein around you then you have passed half the test.

If you are doing Keto now then you are well on your way!!