Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 7/10... emotional roller coaster!

Anyone else go through major ups and downs the weeks leading up to surgery? One minute I’m fine and confident in this decision, and the next I’m reconsidering going through with it. I have a new therapist but she’s no help... responds with, “You’re going to be totally fine!” Or, “Well you can always cancel if you want to!” And my favorite, “You’re really not that big, so maybe you don’t need the surgery.” MY BMI IS 42 LADY. I might have a pretty face but that don’t win the race, mmkay!

A few weeks ago, I was scared that I would fail and not be able to control my eating after surgery. But now I’m seeing that I am fully capable of following the pre-op diet without cheating, and I feel more confident in post-op eating. But now my worries have switched over to the actual blood and guts of the surgery, and complications... it’s scary!! This is a very very BIG DEAL.

Are all these emotions normal?? I’m sure they are... guess I just wanted to reach out to the community and get some helpful words of wisdom, if anyone has any to share. :)

I probably would seek out a new therapist. Those seem like really unprofessional answers from a therapist to a patient in this situation. Maybe I’m just being harsh, but it sounds like something a friend would say to reassure you while you’re having coffee, they don’t sound like therapeutic responses to your concerns.

That being said, it is completely normal to have misgivings about surgery. I think most of us had doubts and fears before we went into surgery about the things that could happen. Fortunately I think most of us fear what will happen to us if we don’t have the surgery, and we stay obese more than operative risks. You are more likely to die from obesity further down the line from changing nothing rather than having surgery.

There are a few posts I have seen with complications from minor to occasionally severe but most of us go through the operation and come out the other side with no complications.

Don’t let your anxiety get the best of you. You jumped through the hoops to get this surgery for a reason!

Best wishes! :1296_raised_hands_tone2:

Hi, I had my gastric bypass in May 15th 2018 . I'm still in soft food stage and I can't eat more than half of cup of food.my mind thinks I can but my stomach tells me your full.just remember every buddy is different we all heal in our own time.after surgery take time to heal your body has been through alot.make sure you keep drinking Water and Protein .my weight is slowly going down. I've lost more in inches than weight.now I'm hitting the gym more to try to lose some weight.

Before surgery I didn't think negative thoughts only keep thinking I can do this. I only stayed in the hospital for one day because I wanted to go home and feel relaxed.and let my body recover.

Just keep yourself busy and you will be fine .before you know it your day will be here .and your new journey will begin.that's what you've work so hard for.

DON'T STOP BELIEVING IN YOURSELF. I wish you good luck and best wishes.

1 hour ago, LindyPablo said:

Are all these emotions normal?? I’m sure they are... guess I just wanted to reach out to the community and get some helpful words of wisdom, if anyone has any to share. :)

100% natural, human nature. Perfectly normal.
In fact, if you didn't get scared/worries/anxious about surgery of this magnitude... I'd be more concerned.

I'm going to agree with Kim... if those answers are what the therapist is telling you... they don't get their job at all.
The surgery is actually much safer now than it was years ago, so the percentages of deaths or complications are skewed by the older figures.

When I was getting worried about the "what ifs" of the surgery. I would counter those thoughts with different "what ifs". What if I don't get the surgery, how long are my knees going to last? What if I don't get the surgery, how long before I have a heart attack? What if I don't get the surgery, what latent weight related illness is going to rear it's ugly head? What if I don't have the surgery, how long am I realistically going to live being this fat?

I knew I wasn't going to last as long without surgery and I am going to now that I've had the surgery. I feel better, I'm more energetic, I'm happier. And my whole is benefiting from my changes as well. My wife goes to the gym with me when she can, she's losing weight and feeling better. My kids are eating better because I'm eating better and we don't buy as much junky foods. The choice is personal, of course. But it does have positive repercussions for those around you as well.

Whatever you decide, as long as it's what you want and what you'll be happy with, that's all that actually matters.

Good luck!