Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!!

I am worry because I am 3 months postoperation. But in the last 9 days I had gained 4 kg!!! Is a lot. I don’t understand what is happening. I still eating small portions but my nutritionist said me to eat every two hours. Because I was eating before like 300-400 calories per day. Since that I have been gaining wait. I am so frustrated. I think I will keep eating 300-400 calories per day if I want to loss weight.

From what I have read, that is too few calories for someone three months post op. You won't have put on fat weight, it is more likely Fluid retention plus possibly bulk from the extra food. It is only temporary, a bit like when people go through the post op diet stages, as they progress they typically have a stall or gains, but once their bodies adapt weight loss kicks in again.

While WLS does typically result in a lower calorie intake, you don't want to go so low that it comprises your health: body using muscle for nutrition - you want to maintain muscle as much as possible, Hair loss, lack of energy etc.

Bear in mind, now that you are already in the healthy BMI range, that weight loss will be lower per week than it was immediately following your surgery.

Please do listen to your nutritionist.

Edited by 2shea

The research group that I'm with believes that eating very low calories for too long...will set you up for a bad metabolic reset and more rebound weight gain at five years post op. You don't want a starvation metabolism. You want a hot burning furnace that supports lots of activity, healthy muscles and exercise.

We are encouraged to eat 1200 calories per day as soon as possible after surgery. I've eaten 1200 calories daily since my third week post op. I feel terrific. Am almost to goal.

It's important to listen to the professionals. Their advice is based on a broader perspective than just our own. And they've seen the consequences of lots of well intentioned nutritionally disastrous efforts.

Be safe, be well, and best wishes!

Thanks for both of you! I really appreciate your advices and support. You are right I will keep eating every two hours. Also I will reach my surgeon and nutritionist.
I am terrified of gaining weight back. I am wondering what is happening in my body. I will track my calories intake.
Thanks a lot.

Its most likely Fluid retention or something of the sort. I gained 5lbs this morning from the last time I weighed myself 3 days ago but I know I am ovulating and I tend to bloat during that time.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, Creekimp13 said:

The research group that I'm with believes that eating very low calories for too long...will set you up for a bad metabolic reset and more rebound weight gain at five years post op. You don't want a starvation metabolism. You want a hot burning furnace that supports lots of activity, healthy muscles and exercise.

We are encouraged to eat 1200 calories per day as soon as possible after surgery. I've eaten 1200 calories daily since my third week post op. I feel terrific. Am almost to goal.

It's important to listen to the professionals. Their advice is based on a broader perspective than just our own. And they've seen the consequences of lots of well intentioned nutritionally disastrous efforts.

Be safe, be well, and best wishes!

How were you able to get 1200 calories in per day at 3 weeks post-op? I'm 5 weeks out and can't get more than 450 per day and that's on a good day. I want to eat more calories because I'm tired most of the time and don't have the energy I was hoping for.

34 minutes ago, t1018ross said:

How were you able to get 1200 calories in per day at 3 weeks post-op? I'm 5 weeks out and can't get more than 450 per day and that's on a good day. I want to eat more calories because I'm tired most of the time and don't have the energy I was hoping for.

Yes I am very interested in hearing this too! I totally believe this theory is correct and I would love to work my way up to 1000-1200 calories as soon as possible. Yesterday I got 650 (two weeks post op) and I feel so much better today but I can't see how I could fit much more than that as it seemed I was constantly sipping a Protein Shake throughout the day and I am doing fairly well with my liquids right now. What did your daily menu look like CreeKimp13 when you first started getting 1200 calories in?Insert other media

Edited by Meggs11