Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Older Patient: will my skin sag?

Hi the more I read on this site the more excited I get about getting a revision from band to RNY and finally getting this weight off for the first time in my life. I’m 55 years old though. 5 foot 2 in and 240. If I lose 80 pounds or more at this age will I still look fat with all this hanging skin? Maybe I shouldn’t be worried about something so trivial?

I mean, everyone’s skin will sag at some point in life. We can’t hang on to our youthful elasticity for life. So yes, it may but eventually it will.

I would rather be at a healthy weight with saggy skin with the option to have it removed versus fat and unhealthy with stretched out skin

:)

Hi the more I read on this site the more excited I get about getting a revision from band to RNY and finally getting this weight off for the first time in my life. I’m 55 years old though. 5 foot 2 in and 240. If I lose 80 pounds or more at this age will I still look fat with all this hanging skin? Maybe I shouldn’t be worried about something so trivial?
Hi, I am also from the midwest (iowa). I am also 55, 5'2" with start weight of 200.5. I am 14 months out and down to 113. The only sagging skin is some around my belly. I am always being told I am getting to skinny. The Dr at my last visit stated I was normal weight. I do work out 4x weekly for a hour. I am sure this has help me tone up. The loose skin around my belly really doesn't bother me to much, you can't tell with clothes on....lol.....you got this20180317_113524.jpeg 20180115_182538.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't noticed more wrinkles, but there are definitely loose areas developing as the fat goes away in my legs and arms -- neither of which I considered all that fat before. My skin has been drier than normal, so I am using bio oil after my showers.

@millerla4 You look great! Very inspirational!

I am 50 and did gastric sleeve a year ago and have lost 155 lbs. I probably have another 20 lbs to lose most of which is in my thighs and rear now. You can see that I don’t have a firm mid section (a lot of what’s there is skin) and you can also see I have lose skin under my arms and decent muscle composition.

While I had A lot more weight to lose than you it’s a no brainer to chose a functioning body over skin that is stretched taut and tight over 155 lbs of fat.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

You can count on some loose skin. It's pretty much a given for most of us. The amount of loose skin is going to depend on lots of factors. Age, location of carried fat, etc etc etc. Expect some and you won't be upset when it happens. You'll be able to cover/hide a good portion of it though.

34 minutes ago, Midwest Girl said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. And got the pics. You all look so good and healthy!! I’ve decided I’m not going to worry about this and enjoy getting healthy!

Best outlook on this! Why worry up front, just deal with it when it happens. Good luck on your journey!

14 hours ago, Midwest Girl said:

A lot of people loose a couple pant sizes when they have skin removal. I doubt you will "still look fat" afterwards, but its very possible to loose inches if you decided to go the plastics route. Good thing that they make some amazing shape wear now-a-days.

43 minutes ago, Midwest Girl said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. And got the pics. You all look so good and healthy!! I’ve decided I’m not going to worry about this and enjoy getting healthy!

that's a great attitude, you won't regret it! Skin is so minor compared to the troubles of being overweight.

And I'm going to be one also😎 I'll rock 🎶the over 65 set, just watch!👵🌈👵

45 years old. 227lbs to 153lbs currently. My arms are fine. My inner thigh skin is just a bit loose but not noticeable. My tummy on the other hand has loose skin. My goal weight is 135lbs and I’ll consider surgery to correct the skin when I get there. But totally worth it! I’m so much happier now. :)