Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the last year, I've been taking Kratom, an herb from Southeast Asia that has pain relief properties. I had spinal surgery 2 yrs ago and I had a complication - I now have both feet paralyzed with foot drop on the right. I walk with a limp, as I wear a brace on the right. Spent 3 months in inpatient rehab, relearning to walk. So now I'm left with a limp thats screwing up my hip, as I now compensate from my limp. And my back and right leg r still painful. So the surgery did nothing. Cept paralyze my feet!

My son told me about Kratom and I decided "What the heck". I ordered some off the internet. OMG - it works fantastically! It's almost as good as narcotics, but don't give u side effects. Problem is I have to take a ton of it. I take 16 capsules 2x a day and 32 at nite. I can also mix powder with choc milk - however, it tastes AWFUL so thats for emergencies! Ok, my dilemma: I'm having a bypass revision of my sleeve. I've had severe reflux for the last 4 yrs and my GI dr recommended bypass, as people with the sleeve have such a high rate of reflux. Stomach acid has nowhere to go but up. With the RNY, the plumbing allows acid to flow thru. I currently take 7 (yep, 7) Nexium, 2 Protonix, 40mg Prilosec, and chew Gavascon like candy. I weigh 150 and Im having a revision. Crazy. Scheduled for July 19th. It's 100% for reflux, not weightloss. I know I can't be taking all those pills nor can I drink 8-12 oz of a Protein Shake at once.

If u take kratom and have experience with the RNY, I'd luv to hear from u. What do I do? I will literally not be able to sleep, as my back pain and anxiety keep me up. Help!

Marci

Be careful. It has been known to cause seizures and may not be quite as harmless as it seems.

Very few drugs have no side effects and the scary thing about “herbal” supplements is many times they have not been studied the same way as prescription medications and lots of interactions may be unknown.

5 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Be careful. It has been known to cause seizures and may not be quite as harmless as it seems.

Very few drugs have no side effects and the scary thing about “herbal” supplements is many times they have not been studied the same way as prescription medications and lots of interactions may be unknown.

Hey KimTriesRNY!

I know the dangers. There's less of it than aspirin. It's been in use since before Jesus and studied formally for about 70 yrs. Anyway, I don't want a back and forth thing going so I'll stop there. And my question wasn't 'should I take this', it was HOW do I take it, when unable to swallow pills or the choc milk u can mix it in.

Thanxs for ur concern, tho. Oh, and u can overdose on aspirin, as every other drug. Since they've been keeping stats on Kratom, it's never once killed anybody and the only overdoses r minimal (make u nauseous, vomit, sleep an extra couple hours, etc) but that's really rare. I did my homework before I started taking it a year ago. Stopped taking Oxycodone a year ago. Thats much more dangerous. Anyway, know that I appreciate ur ur words of wisdom.

Marci

I would talk to your Dr. He or she will know how to advise you on how to take meds. They took me off my pain killers for a while but all is well now. Your ability to absorb meds will change after this surgery, so you need everything to be chewable, Might be different for you but chocolate milk makes me HURL like the Exorcist child. Maybe a Protein smoothie?
I’m surprised that they’re giving you a bypass surgery at only 150lbs?!! My understanding was that you have to be obese for RnY surgery...
It may not be worth it to have the surgery to lose only 20 or 30lbs if the meds are this important to your daily quality of life. Maybe I misread tho...

Hello Marci,

I don't have much advice to give you, except maybe try different things with the Kratom powder.... Powerade zero? Crystal Light? Hmmmm.....maybe different 0 cal drinks. I definitely know what you are talking about with the pills, you won't be able to take them after the bypass.

Your post caught my eye.... had never heard of Kratom before, and I am going to look into it for myself. It may not be right for me, but I am always interested in safer alternatives than the meds I am currently taking. I am on 1800 mg of Gabapentin for nerve pain, and it works some. I do not want to go up on my current dosage. I've been on the Gabapentin for about 8 months. In addition to that, I have been taking the maximium daily dosage of tramadol for over 3 years. YUCK.

Also, I want to tell you that I had my revision because of major probs with GERD. Couldn't eat solid food without severe pain.... so I had been doing pureed Soups since February, and towards the end (right before my revision), even those were giving me pain. I had my revision on Tues, the 29th. My doctor cleared me for "mushies" on day 5. Had my first scrambled egg yesterday morning.... lo and behold..... NO PAIN! Wow! I couldn't be happier with getting the revision done, even though I am only a week out. Things are finally looking up. I had met my goal weight prior to getting the bypass surgery. I am in the 150's, so not far off from you.

I hope your revision goes well. I imagine that it will really help you a lot. Sorry that I can't be of much help with how to take the Kratom.

:)

On 6/1/2018 at 12:49 PM, marfar7 said:

If u take kratom and have experience with the RNY, I'd luv to hear from u. What do I do? I will literally not be able to sleep, as my back pain and anxiety keep me up. Help!

Marci

I'd be concerned about the size of the capsules, we were told that after bypass, if the pill is larger than a M&M, it's too big. Most certainly advise your surgical team / doctor about what supplements you plan to take after surgery.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:01 PM, SkinEMinE said:

I would talk to your Dr. He or she will know how to advise you on how to take meds. They took me off my pain killers for a while but all is well now. Your ability to absorb meds will change after this surgery, so you need everything to be chewable, Might be different for you but chocolate milk makes me HURL like the Exorcist child. Maybe a Protein smoothie?
I’m surprised that they’re giving you a bypass surgery at only 150lbs?!! My understanding was that you have to be obese for RnY surgery...
It may not be worth it to have the surgery to lose only 20 or 30lbs if the meds are this important to your daily quality of life. Maybe I misread tho...

Hi!

The gastric bypass has been around as strictly a reflux surgery for many, many years before they realized that it aided in weightloss also. It started out as a reflux surgery. And while u must be heavier than 150 lbs to receive it for weightloss reasons, they will do it for reflux for a lesser weight. I voiced concern that I may lose too much and my dr told me that our bodies are smart and they tended to lose until they're at a healthy weight, then level out. I may get to a little less than my goal, fairly quickly, but my body would level out and stay healthy. It's super rare to become anorexic. Even knowing that its rare, of course I'm still concerned. And when I dont have reflux for 4 or 5 nites, I rethink my surgery decision. Then BAM - its back and I'm up for 3 hrs coughing and vomiting up stomach acid, feeling like Im having aheart attack, and will lose my voice the next day. And I sleep sitting up in an adjustable bed. I've tried everything conservative over an almost 5 yrs time period and it just gets worse. If I dont have the surgery (and while there is a reflux surgery, called the Fundoplication, I don't have enuf stomach left for it to be done), more damage will be done to my esophagus and I risk cancer and acid eating holes.

My dr has gone over all the risks involved and the risks of doing nothing surpass the risks of the revision. I can figure something out to do with my back pain while I'm unable to take pills post op. I guess I can mix the Kratom powder with some Protein Shake, or switch to CBD oil during this time. I'm curious at how differently my body absorbs medication differently also with the bypass. Whether I will need less pain meds or what.

Anyway, just wanted to let u know that its a safe surgery when weighing 150 lbs (I now weigh 154). The bypass started as a reflux surgery many, many years ago and they discovered that people were losing huge amounts of weight with it so it was tweaked and became the weightloss surgery we know now. And Im hoping Im not 1 of the rare people that cant stop losing....

Marci

I realize this thread is pretty old but maybe someone has had some experiences since then. I had a lap RNY 17 years ago and have maintained weight loss (iron anemia is my biggest side effect.) I usually chew all meds and the one time I took a STRICTLY forbidden NSAID I almost died from a bleeding ulcer. Seriously, don’t ever do it. I recently detoxed from prescribed fentanyl and dilaudid for chronic foot pain (called CRPS now) because of opioid induced hyperalgesia- the more I took, the worse the pain. Wish I heard of Kratom before I went cold turkey because I am on Day 4 and just able to read and write and I SLEPT!!! Anyway, I found some at a local head shop and am taking as recommended (empty “stomach” ha, haven’t eaten since Tuesday anyway) Mixed with a bit of hot Water and then some sugar free Gatorade, I started small. 1/2 t. Nothing. A few hours later, 1 t. Nothing? The strain I was given is called yellow Maeng Da, then a red for my pain. Anyone have any ideas about us gastic bypass girls and how to dose this stuff?

Did you know it is illegal in 5 U.S. states? Not dicouranged, just flat out illegal for ingestion. I would say that is a slippery slope to be snow- boarding on! But your money,your life, it is just if anything happens your family will mourn you and we all will miss you on Bariatric Pal 💊

the 5 states are Alabama, Arkansas,Indiana, Vermont and Wisconsin,so if you are in any of those states I'm sure you could be prosecuted also.

No worries, I am in a legal state, also for mm. I am assure you that the lo dose of methadone I was in for years was super toxic also and the other opioids I’ve been on have tremendous hormonal side effects, so no libido and hot flashes to add to my woes. I have a doctorate and know how to research, but having a RNY makes me a real unicorn for everything that can be ingested.

Yeah and you know for you, it works. Do you know, many epilepsy drugs will say, "We don't know for sure how this works, we only know it does."
Strange but I suspect in the future I will also be a unicorn, as I am a 6 months RnY myself.

I just started using Kratom myself, it works wonders. I also use CBD, so much better than pharmaceuticals. I'm 3 1/2 years out and have been able to reach and maintain my goal weight. I could probably stand to gain about 6 lbs, but feel great!

I've tried Kratom numerous times and it does absolutely nothing for me. But I don't know why you wouldn't be able to take it after bypass, particularly as a tea. Just start with a smaller dose than you usually take and work from there. The DEA is trying to make it scheduled, though, so those days may be running out.

Edited by mousecat88

On 6/4/2018 at 1:44 PM, Matt Z said:

I'd be concerned about the size of the capsules, we were told that after bypass, if the pill is larger than a M&M, it's too big. Most certainly advise your surgical team / doctor about what supplements you plan to take after surgery.

My surgeon prescribed me Potassium after surgery that was a gigantic horse pill. Probably the largest pill I've ever seen... and now I take numerous Vitamins and supplements that are far larger than an M&M... no issues whatsoever?