Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG redo and SIPS? Anyone had this?

Hey,

i had had a vsg in 2014 I never really lost that much weigh and now i’ve had substantial weight regain. I’ve spoken to a surgeon that offers the sips procudure, and he said sips would be a good option for me. He will often do a redo/ tighten an old sleeve operation if there has been excessive stretching, or an abnormal bulge etc. in the sleeve shape. His theory is why not, do a quick redo while we are there, when doing the sips. Has anyone had a sleeve redo and the sips procedure??

also, I see a lot of comments on this forum about foul gas and terrible diherea? How long did these horrid symptoms last for? I don’t expect my gas ect will ever be the same- but I would like to think there are some positive cases out there??

I had the revision from VSG to SIPs a month and a half ago. You can read some of my play-by-play here:

The gas and diarrhea are the real deal....to the point where more than once I worried I had made worse mistake of my life. But I've started to learn how to 'manage' it better, mostly by not eating certain foods, white flour being #1. The good news is that most of the gas issues I get are in the evening, so doesn't effect me too much at work.

Some vets say the gas gets better after a year, but most folks on this board have had the full DS, not SIPs.

I asked my surgeon a similar question about tightening my pouch and he responded that "We've learned in the last few years that re-sleeving doesn't work. It would be a waste of time."

The malabsorption does work, I'm about 20 lbs down so far. The SIPS also - somewhat strangely - has lowered my appetite more than the sleeve did. Then again, I'm only a month and a half into this, so lots could change.

Thanks Disco stu!

Ive noticed that’s heaps of people on this forum have had the DS not SIPS, and I was hoping the some of the side effects eg gas / horrible bowl movements were not as bad.

It sounds like flour/ gluten products seem to be the foods people need to avoid and manage after sips

As for my sleeve, Im happy enough for the dr to relighten my sleeve if it needs to be done, but it’s the malabsorption that will help me reduce my bmi.

It's slightly more complicated than just skipping flour. For instance, many people report gas issues with onions (this was heartbreaking to me, because I'm a onion fiend!) Some people go lactose intolerant. i think I saw avocado on one list. Fried foods. Some people say any and all carbs will do it, but I seem to be able to tolerate corn and potatoes. I've even drank a full sugar can of Coke. Bottom line, there are certain common trigger foods that you see mentioned again and again on these boards, but we're individuals, so I'm using these lists as guidelines, and basically playing guinea pig.

The one thing I go ham on is meat. Meat meat meat. And I don't worry about fat, so rib eyes and bacon are good to go. In fact, full DS's actually are supposed in purposely eat more fat that a normal person. The jury is still out on if this advice applies to SIPS, but so far so good.

I can drink a full sugar soda too. It does give me diarrhea, but I have a horrible emotional addiction to it, so I put up with occasional loose stools. I can also eat potato chips and onions, but I stay away from fried Chinese food, etc. Not good. Rice gives me gas. So does Pasta and Beans (no brainer there). My tummy loves meat and veggies. I eat lots of broccoli, chicken, and fish.

Agree on the Chinese. I was hurting bad after Soup dumplings. All my favorite Asian noddle dishes are now a no no. No more Ramen:44_frowning2:. No more Pho :44_frowning2:.

I seem ok with rice and quinoa, but I try to only each small portions.

Broccoli, yes. Potato chips, yes. Corn chips, yes. Cheetos, yes. Air popped popcorn, yes. French Fries, yes. Yogurt, yes. Beans....not sure. Salmon Nigiri (sushi), yes. Ice cream....too scared to try.

CORRECTION: popcorn is moving to the naughty list. Last night I ate a whole bag, and didn't get bloated or crazy gassy, but the few toots that made it out could have choked a elephant. A whole herd. Not. Of. This. Earth.

You might try popcorn again in another month and your stomach might tolerate it. That's what I found with most food. Yesterday, i was stressed out and there was no reason to have another one of my "gas episodes," but man I did. I was so uncomfortable and bloated. I just had to wait until it passed and apologize to my family.

I had vsg then sips. I had no appetite at first. Now I have head hunger. I have not lost as much weight after the sips as I want. I'm 3 months out. In fact I gained 3 pounds back. My gas is horrible sometimes.

Sorry to hear that. I'm having slow but steady results with the SIPS.

Try to lose as much weight as you can during the honeymoon phase as fat malabsorption for SIPS (aka SADI) patients wanes after a year or so. This is not the case for DS patients *. You also need to try and keep your carbs as low as possible as they are absorbed, so you may not have good results if you consume too many.

* There is a scientific paper posted on the ASMBS website titled, “Physiopathological Differences After Duodenal Switch And Single Anastomosis Duodeno Ileal Bypass (SADI-S).” Summary: DS patients have more fat malabsorption than SADI patients, and these differences are bigger as time goes by.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:15 AM, Skittlesandrainbows said:

Hey,

i had had a vsg in 2014 I never really lost that much weigh and now i’ve had substantial weight regain. I’ve spoken to a surgeon that offers the sips procudure, and he said sips would be a good option for me. He will often do a redo/ tighten an old sleeve operation if there has been excessive stretching, or an abnormal bulge etc. in the sleeve shape. His theory is why not, do a quick redo while we are there, when doing the sips. Has anyone had a sleeve redo and the sips procedure??

also, I see a lot of comments on this forum about foul gas and terrible diherea? How long did these horrid symptoms last for? I don’t expect my gas ect will ever be the same- but I would like to think there are some positive cases out there??

I recommend you find a surgeon that does the real DS (Hess method) instead of SIPS. DS has the best long term results of any bariatric surgery. As well, there is no medical billing code for SIPS, so most surgeons that do SIPS fraudulently code their surgery as DS; therefore, you could run the risk of having to pay the entire bill if insurance finds out. Most insurance companies consider SIPS (aka SADI ) experimental so rarely cover it.