Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know some of you have had issues with edema and I would appreciate some advice. I have been seeing a cardiologist because of some other issues, but one of the things that worries him is the swelling in my legs and my shortness of breath (which has been getting worse.) I have been on 2 different oral diuretics which didn't seem to have any effect. Now, the cardiologist is putting me on IV lasix and having me continue the oral diuretic too. He intends for me to get another IV treatment every day until the edema goes down. (This is basically a shot of lasix into the vein, not a big bag of IV fluid.) I drink plenty of fluids, so I guess my question is this:

Can you get dehydrated at the same time you're carrying 30-40 pounds of excess Fluid?

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

yes it can.

Fluid intake is vital whether you have edema or not. Edema is fluid that does not circulate, therefor doesn’t leave your body. For many, the main cause of edema is not enough fluid intake.

especially if you’re on lasix, hence why the doc wants IV fluids

Edited by Bryn910

3 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

yes it can.

Fluid intake is vital whether you have edema or not. Edema is Fluid that does not circulate, therefor doesn’t leave your body. For many, the main cause of edema is not enough fluid intake.

especially if you’re on lasix, hence why the doc wants IV fluids

Sorry, I didn't explain well. I'm not on IV fluids. I'm getting shots of lasix into the vein (so that it doesn't have to travel the long way around through the stomach.) I drink around 100 oz of fluids per day and the cardiologist would like me to reduce it to 64. But I crave Water, so the lowest I'd been able to do was about 80. That's why he's increasing the diuretics.

Just now, Orchids&Dragons said:

Sorry, I didn't explain well. I'm not on IV fluids. I'm getting shots of lasix into the vein (so that it doesn't have to travel the long way around through the stomach.) I drink around 100 oz of fluids per day and the cardiologist would like me to reduce it to 64. But I crave Water, so the lowest I'd been able to do was about 80. That's why he's increasing the diuretics.

Gotcha! Yea i assume he wants to decrease your Water intake because lasix shot and the water could affect your kidneys a bit. But I don’t know too much about that

You certainly can be dehydrated with edema since the Fluid is in the "third space" (soft tissue) and not available to your organs. Sounds like cardiac and renal malfunction.

Was this all happening before your VSG? I drink about that much fluid every day and no edema. I was required to have a cardiac stress echo before surgery which was normal.

I hope you get this sorted out soon. The Lasix should help the SOB and leg swelling. Years ago, one of the nurses in my office had those 2 symptoms (she was in her 30s with normal weight) and it turned out it was her mitral valve that was messed up.

13 hours ago, MIZ60 said:

You certainly can be dehydrated with edema since the Fluid is in the "third space" (soft tissue) and not available to your organs. Sounds like cardiac and renal malfunction.

Was this all happening before your VSG? I drink about that much Fluid every day and no edema. I was required to have a cardiac stress echo before surgery which was normal.

I hope you get this sorted out soon. The Lasix should help the SOB and leg swelling. Years ago, one of the nurses in my office had those 2 symptoms (she was in her 30s with normal weight) and it turned out it was her mitral valve that was messed up.

Thanks, @MIZ60. I did not have shortness of breath before the surgery except when I dragged my fat azz up a flight of stairs, but I did have a lot of swelling in my legs. The doctors had always blamed it on my salt intake (it's my favorite food group) and since I had no other issues, they pretty much ignored it. However, my salt intake is now <800mg most days, so that isn't it. I was actually shocked at how low it was, but since I'm still living on yogurt, Protein Water and minced tuna salad, it's not hard to explain. In the last month, I've gotten progressively worse. Kinda scary. I get super dizzy every time I stand and I'm nauseous all the time. They did an upper GI on Wed. and found severe reflux. On top of all that, I have a Grade-A case of the stupids. People literally have to ask me the same question 2 - 3 times before I get it. UGH!

Because of a family history of heart problems, the surgeon referred me to a cardiologist before surgery. He thought I had a blockage from the nuclear stress test so he ordered a heart cath. I was already 6 days into the pre-op diet at that point and he cancelled my surgery until after the cath could be done. Turns out, my heart was fine, I just have super skinny veins, but no blockages. Wouldn't you know, I had one really skinny part of my body and no one could SEE IT!

Anyway, I left a message at the surgeons office about the IV lasix. Hopefully they get back to me before I get another dose in about an hour. I appreciate your concern!

56 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Thanks, @MIZ60. I did not have shortness of breath before the surgery except when I dragged my fat azz up a flight of stairs, but I did have a lot of swelling in my legs. The doctors had always blamed it on my salt intake (it's my favorite food group) and since I had no other issues, they pretty much ignored it. However, my salt intake is now <800mg most days, so that isn't it. I was actually shocked at how low it was, but since I'm still living on yogurt, Protein Water and minced tuna salad, it's not hard to explain. In the last month, I've gotten progressively worse. Kinda scary. I get super dizzy every time I stand and I'm nauseous all the time. They did an upper GI on Wed. and found severe reflux. On top of all that, I have a Grade-A case of the stupids. People literally have to ask me the same question 2 - 3 times before I get it. UGH!

Because of a family history of heart problems, the surgeon referred me to a cardiologist before surgery. He thought I had a blockage from the nuclear stress test so he ordered a heart cath. I was already 6 days into the pre-op diet at that point and he cancelled my surgery until after the cath could be done. Turns out, my heart was fine, I just have super skinny veins, but no blockages. Wouldn't you know, I had one really skinny part of my body and no one could SEE IT!

Anyway, I left a message at the surgeons office about the IV lasix. Hopefully they get back to me before I get another dose in about an hour. I appreciate your concern!

Please keep me/us posted. That sounds a bit serious and very frustrating to me. Make sure they know about the dizziness and nausea you are experiencing and ask them to keep an eye on your electrolytes (especially potassium) with all those diuretics.

It is great that you already had a cardiac cath that was normal.

Following this with rapt interest, I have lymphedema in both lower legs, left worse. Been through multiple cardiac testing, urologist not too concerned about left ankle looking like shar pei puppy, maybe should have consulted a nephrologist instead? PCP likes me in tan support knee highs, but,no end of day they start wrinkling and biting in. Getting my. 64 oz liquid, has anyone else noticed when lasix does its cute tricks it dries out BM and leads to verge of Constipation? Is it a coincidence or a valid point? your truly, Frust8 the Elephant🐘legged!

I get ya! I won't wear the compression hose because they bunch up like rubber bands at the ankles, which is more uncomfortable than the swelling

O&D you are so right there!

Well, talked the cardiologist out of the second IV lasix today. He was pleased that I lost 5 pounds overnight, but wants to continue for at least another 10-15. My breathing was easier today but I stayed dizzy and wobbly all day.

I told him that I got too dizzy to drive a couple hours after the injection yesterday. He wanted to do it again and let me go home and be dizzy for a while. But I had taken today off to drive to the town my mom lived in before she passed so that I could set up an estate bank account. It's about an 80 mile round-trip. Then I also had an appointment this afternoon at home. So he said that he would prescribe another diuretic to take with the one I'm already taking for the weekend and re-evaluate my progress next week. Apparently, the pharmacy called this morning and spoke with one of my boys to say they'd need to order the medicine and it won't be in until Monday. No, my son didn't call me. I found out when I went to pick up the prescription around 5. Too late to call the dr. office and ask them to phone it in somewhere else. UGH!

I forgot to ask the Cardiologist when I was there about exercise. He's got me nervous now. I'll wait til I talk to him next week. My surgeon was ok with the diuretics so long as I keep my fluids up and take a potassium supplement.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons