Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the process

I am new here. I have just begun the process, any tips and advice is appreciated. Anxious for things to get rolling!!!

Hi there! I am pretty new to the process as well. I had my consult on 4/16/18 and am working on all of my preop requirements. I am shooting for a surgery date in July or August.

Follow your doctor's advice. Sounds simple, but a lot of people think they can do it their own way. Just stick to your surgeon's plan, and you'll be successful. Best of luck to you!

I have not met my surgeon yet. I have to go through my pcp, for referrals and tests first. I'm working on the 6mo diet before approval.

Follow the insurance rules, too. Specifically about the required time spans between RD appointments. And stay calm during the testing phase, it can be pretty unnerving to get so many tests.

Here's my top 10 tips!

1. Start altering your diet now. Cut out processed food, or at the very least processed sugar. Practice eating your Protein first and then focus on non-starchy veggies.
  2. Find something that you like to drink that doesn't have calories. Try different caffeine free teas and Water additives. I still can't drink plain water....so you want to have something that you know you like.
  3. Cut out caffeine. Most programs allow caffeine back in relatively quickly, but caffeine can hinder your body's ability to heal. You don't want to go through caffeine withdrawal along with the aches and pains of surgery.
  4. Don't use Protein Shakes before you absolutely have to! I made the mistake of supplementing some of my meals with shakes to "prepare myself" for the pre-op diet. Big mistake. You will get to the point where they are DISGUSTING, and you don't want to increase the timeline of that by drinking them before you need to.
  5. Start incorporating exercising (even if its just walking) somewhere in your daily routine. It will make it easier if its already a habit.
  6. Practice chewing your food at least 20-30 times before swallowing. Muscle has memory and it will so much easier if you already have this habit. If you screw up and swallow too soon after surgery, you will pay the price.
  7. Set timers and don't drink and eat at the same time.
  8. I highly recommend having at least 1 visit with a therapist to establish with someone for after surgery. Its not required, but everyone seems to have some emotional struggles afterwards. Whether its 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years.
  9. I personally wouldn't share with people, unless you know they will be 100% supportive. It is nerve wracking already and you need nothing but positivity. Plus its a lot of pressure from people who know you've had WLS, versus people who think you are on the weight loss track. People think that the weight is going to melt off after surgery, and sometimes it doesn't. You don't want the extra judgment.
  10. Come up with a reward system of sorts. You want to acknowledge your successes. For my 50lb mark, I went and got pedicures with my girlfriends. For my 75lb mark, I bought myself some new dresses. For my 100lb mark, (which I haven't reached yet, so I rewarded myself 7lbs early) I already bought myself a really nice full length mirror.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

Here's my top 10 tips!

1. Start altering your diet now. Cut out processed food, or at the very least processed sugar. Practice eating your Protein first and then focus on non-starchy veggies.
  2. Find something that you like to drink that doesn't have calories. Try different caffeine free teas and Water additives. I still can't drink plain water....so you want to have something that you know you like.
  3. Cut out caffeine. Most programs allow caffeine back in relatively quickly, but caffeine can hinder your body's ability to heal. You don't want to go through caffeine withdrawal along with the aches and pains of surgery.
  4. Don't use Protein Shakes before you absolutely have to! I made the mistake of supplementing some of my meals with shakes to "prepare myself" for the pre-op diet. Big mistake. You will get to the point where they are DISGUSTING, and you don't want to increase the timeline of that by drinking them before you need to.
  5. Start incorporating exercising (even if its just walking) somewhere in your daily routine. It will make it easier if its already a habit.
  6. Practice chewing your food at least 20-30 times before swallowing. Muscle has memory and it will so much easier if you already have this habit. If you screw up and swallow too soon after surgery, you will pay the price.
  8. I highly recommend having at least 1 visit with a therapist to establish with someone for after surgery. Its not required, but everyone seems to have some emotional struggles afterwards. Whether its 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years.
  9. I personally wouldn't share with people, unless you know they will be 100% supportive. It is nerve wracking already and you need nothing but positivity. Plus its a lot of pressure from people who know you've had WLS, versus people who think you are on the weight loss track. People think that the weight is going to melt off after surgery, and sometimes it doesn't. You don't want the extra judgment.
  10. Come up with a reward system of sorts. You want to acknowledge your successes. For my 50lb mark, I went and got pedicures with my girlfriends. For my 75lb mark, I bought myself some new dresses. For my 100lb mark, (which I haven't reached yet, so I rewarded myself 7lbs early) I already bought myself a really nice full length mirror.

Thanks for sharing great ideas!!

3 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

Here's my top 10 tips!

Awesome advice thank you

• Like 1