Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apologies



Recommended Posts

I have noticed (on many social media platforms) that people are willing to go to war (of the words) rather than just step back and apologize for any offensive thing posted (unless coerced)

Is it hard to refrain from writing things you will have to eventually apologize for?

Is it risky just to say sorry?

Thoughts? Observations?

(disclaimer this is in no way in reference to anyone or thing in particular, just a behavior i noticed is trending and im wondering why)

Edited by Tealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I feel I have something to apologize for, I apologize without any prompt or "oversight management."

The end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

When I feel I have something to apologize for, I apologize without any prompt or "oversight management."

The end.

I think alot of people are generally like this , but the others... Im Just glad that words dont physically hurt (but they can i guess)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they can and it's in an area deep inside where a Band-Aid doesn't stick.😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I call it "internet arrogance". The anonymity afforded by the web lets people say whatever they want and they often go with their first, worst instinct. Then because there's no consequence to being wrong, people often will simply ignore it when they are being corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, elforman said:

I call it "internet arrogance". The anonymity afforded by the web lets people say whatever they want and they often go with their first, worst instinct. Then because there's no consequence to being wrong, people often will simply ignore it when they are being corrected.

The aweful truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tealael said:

I have noticed (on many social media platforms) that people are willing to go to war (of the words) rather than just step back and apologize for any offensive thing posted (unless coerced)

Is it hard to refrain from writing things you will have to eventually apologize for?

Is it risky just to say sorry?

Thoughts? Observations?

(disclaimer this is in no way in reference to anyone or thing in particular, just a behavior i noticed is trending and im wondering why)

Is this behavior new to anyone who has been on social media? I apologize when I have offended someone or misinterpreted a post. We are human lol.

Trolls annoy me. People posting negative offensive personal attacks to get attention. What I don't understand is why people take the bait and respond to them. If you ignore them they go away looking for attention somewhere else.

We are adults...Right??? Pick and choose what your read and respond to. Take what's useful and leave the rest.

It's not my job to police this site and I don't want to. I have only done this once:

A member shared that they were a victim of sexual abuse/assault. I notice a troll degrading and personally attacking this member (reported the posts to the tech's) This troll personal message me. ( wrong thing to do:71_smiling_imp:) I used the opportunity to mass share the trolls personal message to people on the forum that are positive contributors/veterans. We manage to run this person off.

I don't take offense to people having different opinions and experiences. I have also have been given a loving slap to the head from some of the veterans along the way. Sometimes I needed a reality check. I have thick skin so I can take tough love. (some can't)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Is this behavior new to anyone who has been on social media? I apologize when I have offended someone or misinterpreted a post. We are human lol.

Trolls annoy me. People posting negative offensive personal attacks to get attention. What I don't understand is why people take the bait and respond to them. If you ignore them they go away looking for attention somewhere else.

We are adults...Right??? Pick and choose what your read and respond to. Take what's useful and leave the rest.

It's not my job to police this site and I don't want to. I have only done this once:

A member shared that they were a victim of sexual abuse/assault. I notice a troll degrading and personally attacking this member (reported the posts to the tech's) This troll personal message me. ( wrong thing to do:71_smiling_imp:) I used the opportunity to mass share the trolls personal message to people on the forum that are positive contributors/veterans. We manage to run this person off.

I don't take offense to people having different opinions and experiences. I have also have been given a loving slap to the head from some of the veterans along the way. Sometimes I needed a reality check. I have thick skin so I can take tough love. (some can't)

Yes the trolling is out of control everywhere i turn on social media, personal attacks are so unnecessary

I agree some people are thin skinned others nothing affects them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The behaviour is not new but im talking about the up swinging trend, have you noticed it becoming more frequent or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tealael said:

The behaviour is not new but im talking about the up swinging trend, have you noticed it becoming more frequent or no?

Do you mean a swinging trend specifically on this forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Do you mean a swinging trend specifically on this forum?

no across all social media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tealael said:

The behaviour is not new but im talking about the up swinging trend, have you noticed it becoming more frequent or no?

Trollish behavior has elevated in every facet of American life over the last year and a half. As much as I'd like to be able to leave politics out of it, just look at the troll in chief in the White House. Trump is by far the meanest, nastiest, crudest and most classless person ever to hold national office and much of the GOP is taking on the same demeanor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, elforman said:

Trollish behavior has elevated in every facet of American life over the last year and a half. As much as I'd like to be able to leave politics out of it, just look at the troll in chief in the White House. Trump is by far the meanest, nastiest, crudest and most classless person ever to hold national office and much of the GOP is taking on the same demeanor.

Lol that cant be the reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one of several reasons, but absolutely that kind of attitude from the president has spread into public life. People who felt marginalized before, people like homophobes, bigots and white supremacists have clearly gotten more vocal over since Trump won the election, and that's compounded by the fact that Trump has done very little to distance himself from them. In fact, he says thinks like there are good people on both sides of a KKK rally, he uses phrases like "America First," a slogan used by American Nazis in the 1940s who sided with Germany and recently called reporter Chuck Todd, who is Jewish, "Sleepy Eyed," a derogatory term used by white supremacists to describe Jews. When people like that see that their words and behavior will go unchecked it emboldens them to get louder and louder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Tealael said:

no across all social media

Honestly, I use two sites for social media. This one and myfitness pal - Both sites are fitness/nutrition oriented. It helps keeps me motivativated.

People's behaviors - I agree the anonymity people can say anything. Isn't that freedom of speech? We should have different opinions...right? Have you ever met people in real life that say some messed up things? I don't have to listen or agree with them. I decide what I invest my time and attention into.

If someone is verbally attacking me I can either defend myself or walk away.

Side note: (no offense to anyone that's a felon on the board) Working in a mens in prison may be a part of why I don't get offended that easily. I have taken a daily barrage of verbal assaults that would offend most people...To me it was a daily good morning. It comes down to not rewarding their negative behavior. They feed off making you break and respond.

If people are not physically attacking you ....it's a good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×