Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High caloric intake

Anyone else not having a problem maxing out their calories? I wasnt even given a goal to stay under but now im thinking i need one.

What are your calorie / macro goals?

i am wondering what exactly you are eating that is so high calorie and how often you eat it.

if your food is primarily Protein followed by complex carbs from veggies what else are you adding that seems to you to be pushing your calories so high.

What do you consider high - you were pretty vague in your post.

at 7 months i am around 1000 calories per day with some days barely breaking 800.

could i go higher sure i could add a mickey d's shake 3 time a day and blow out the numbers easy but i hope i know better by this point in the process

I was vague because im not certain im tracking accurately enough. Im almost 6 months out and 1000-1200 easily according to MFP (but im beginning to wonder about the accuracy of it)

And yes mostly Protein or supplements then veggies and fats. Everything homemade except Protein Bars shakes and yogurt. Just seems too high to me.

Edited by Tealael

no does not seem high - high is relative to your activity level

i do stuff around the house - counter top push up and leg lifts before i get out of bed and my trip to gym 5 days a week but i dont get out much other than that trip to gym - i care for disabled wife and my time away is very structured- if you have a more active daily schedule i dont see a problem with that calorie level.

are you still dropping weight?

Edited by allwet

I’ve only been given Protein goals, both my surgeon and my dietitian have said not to count calories. My food intake is so steady, I don’t really track any more, but I’m probably around 1200 calories a day.

Slow weight loss and I stall often but that was from day one at every calorie level. I do workout a few times a week.

Just be careful not to let it drift higher on you bit by bit. The little slips are what will add up to stall you out now that you are past the "honeymoon" phase.

Stay on goal and it will continue down even if it feels to slow sometimes. Some people hit the goal in a year others use full 2 years but at then end they are both at goal and both are healthier.

good luck and follow along in the forums lots of great info and support here.

10 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Slow weight loss and I stall often but that was from day one at every calorie level. I do workout a few times a week.

I used to weigh myself daily, but now I do it weekly. That way, I don’t feel like I’m stalling.

I feel you. Almost 10 months out and I stall now for a week at a time, especially when I get lazy and don’t write down every morsel. I love the Lose It app, it does make it easy. And once I have found out the info for a food, it’s in there forever, making it easy to enter that food in again on my phone. So I’m back to tracking, and I saw how little things were bringing my cals up to 1300 SO EASILY. I need to be around 1000 plus work out to keep my (admittedly very slow which is ok) loss going. So really write down every little bite. Knowing helps control.

I agree that your number of cals for your loss will depend on your metabolism, size, workout. But once you see the scale going back down, you will have some idea. Mine needs to be 1000, and I’m not happy with much less, I feel hungry. (Today I spent some hours in the midday actually hungry which made me feel like I earned the right to eat whatever at dinner, then dinner came and I couldn’t finish my chosen portion, so yay)

i eat a ton of fat every day, by eating healthy animal Protein, using butter, full fat dairy. I never stall from eating that. But an extra 100 cals Of carbs here and there will hurt me. Maybe everyone is different but when I stop a week’s stall, it’s from giving up extra carbs. I didn’t eat any fruit at all for 6 months, because my nutritionist called them sugar bombs. Now I will eat maybe 1/2 c berries a day and that is it.

I think the fat in our diet is essential for brain, skin, and health. So check your cals and see what carbs can be dropped. Find some “treats” thst are low in carb and have them around for when you must snack like at night or whatever. Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches