Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning to Regret

The more horror stories I read here, the more I'm beginning to regret getting RNY a couple of weeks ago. All I seem to read is how people throw up constantly, start dumping and have a myriad of health complications. I'm just hoping that that vast majority of people who live happy and healthy lives after RNY just aren't posting as much.

I've been very fortunate to not have had any complications so far. I'm still on the liquid stage but I really have not had problems downing liquids all day (as long as I remember to bring them with me). I'm praying that when I can start eating food, they go down without a fight. Does vomiting feel the same with gastric bypass as it did prior? I hate throwing up!

I will pipe in. I had RNY September 6th 2017 and I never had a problem. Yes there were times at first that I either ate too fast or two much and instead of feeling miserable I decided to throw up. It didn't come up on it's own, I actually had to use my fingers down my throat but after it came up I felt so much better. I haven't thrown up in a couple months now, I have tried to throw up after eating too much but it just doesn't happen.

I was on a 1 week pre surgery liquid diet but with the Protein Shakes I never felt hungry. I actually lost about 25 lbs that week. After surgery I was on liquid diet for about a week and then moved to soft foods for 2 weeks and then ate what ever I wanted as long as it was all Protein. 1 month after surgery I was told to get off the protein shakes and eat normal foods.

The last 4 months I have eaten 4 oz of cottage cheese for Breakfast, a Lunchable (just the meat and cheese) for lunch, an all protein snack when I get home from work and then normal food for dinner (just a smaller portion). I choose to stay away from bread, Pasta, and potatoes (I do have them occasionally but not very often). I don't eat much fruit or vegetables I depend on 2 chew able Bariatric Vitamins and 2 Calcium capsules to get my nutrients and have done very well on my blood tests.

My diabetes is cured, I used to take 6 injections a day to control it. I am off my blood pressure medicine and high cholesterol meds. I am also off the omeprazol that I took for gerd. Currently I do not take any prescription medications.

16 years ago I blew my knee out for a 2nd time and was told I would never run again. I hate to prove the doctors wrong but 3 weeks ago I started running again. My first run was a little over 3 miles in 40 minutes (non stop).

I started out at 265lbs and for the past 4 months have been at a steady 193lbs. I wanted to get to 165lbs but to be honest I could care less if I ever get there. I feel great, look great and am very happy with my life.

The RNY surgery was the best choice I have ever made, I would do it again in a heart beat.

suit.jpg

@dathvick - That's great news. Very encouraging. Thanks for responding! You look great by the way.

. I was sleeved nov 28 2017. I got the flu right as soon as I came home and I got super sick and dehydrated. I ended up being hospitalized twice. Once in December and again taken by ambulance in January. Because I got sick I almost died due to dehydration and toxic metabolic encephalopathy. Do I regret my surgery? Not in the slightest bit. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. I don’t regret my surgery because it gave my family a wake up call and we all changed our lifestyles for the better. Now would I like to not get sick oh yea but it was an experience I had after surgery and I dealt with it and am still dealing with it. If you regret the surgery I’m sorry but you made the decision and when I made that decision it was the best one I ever made. A lot of people do have horror stories but if you follow your plan you should be fine. Im not trying to scare you with my horror story but I don’t regret it at all. Is there any reason you do regret yours?

Yes dathvick you do look very fine, I'd be proud to be seen with you out in the real world. And my standards are pretty high😭

I haven’t vomited or really had any issues at all since mine 4 months ago. Really super easy experience for me. Perhaps it reads so negative as there tends to be people who post when they have questions or problems— no one wants to hear how great we are all doing- that’d be boring

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 174
5’6”

Like Boston states above...people generally comment/post about negative issues and problems. Kind of like giving reviews at a restaurant etc.

the regret/fear may be normal, heck, I haven’t had my rny yet (due to in 3.5 weeks) but sometimes I think, “what am I doing?!” But I have read where people have complications but fight through them and end up doing well and they don’t regret their decisions still.

Continue doing great! You got this.

I had RNY in February. I only had issues cuz I was backed-up and didn't know it -- so had vomiting and cramping until I got things cleared out after surgery. LOL. Since then, I only had one minor issue from making a poor choice. Otherwise, my journey has been a cake walk. The real concern was my fear that I was messing my surgery up cuz things have gone so easy. Very VERY little pain. No issues with food or fluids.

I write about it here:

The more horror stories I read here, the more I'm beginning to regret getting RNY a couple of weeks ago. All I seem to read is how people throw up constantly, start dumping and have a myriad of health complications. I'm just hoping that that vast majority of people who live happy and healthy lives after RNY just aren't posting as much.
I've been very fortunate to not have had any complications so far. I'm still on the liquid stage but I really have not had problems downing liquids all day (as long as I remember to bring them with me). I'm praying that when I can start eating food, they go down without a fight. Does vomiting feel the same with gastric bypass as it did prior? I hate throwing up!

Eh, some folks struggled. I was one of those. The good news is that I'm 5 weeks post op and the journey is much smoother now.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my RNY in December. I was concerned because I did not have any of the issues that everyone talks about on line. I have stalled twice but have started losing again. The most I had was eating too much (I still eat fast) and felt uncomfortable for awhile (I usually stood and walked around). Some have a difficult time and they will post more than those who do not. I do not regret my decision for a second. I am down 100 pounds and would like to lose 20 more.

These forums are great for finding someone with similar issue (i.e., stalling) and see how people respond. Just realize that most are only going to create a new post when they are having an issue.

I had RNY... have not throw up .. yet ( you never know) I’m 5 months out. No problem whatsoever with any food .. my only issue is Constipation ... which with the right help I go. And I can’t drink no more room temperature Water without burping for a minute or two.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to look at the positive side. I have to admit, I do like the weight loss. I'm down almost 50 lbs since my heaviest. It's a great feeling. I know the cravings have a lot to do with my negativity but those are starting to go away a bit. A year from now I know I'll have a totally different outlook.

@ Johnny2Thumbs you look so good in that picture, how are you doing now?

23 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

@ Johnny2Thumbs you look so good in that picture, how are you doing now?

Thanks Frust8 but that photo isn't of me. It's of another poster.

I'm doing quite well now actually. I'm 3 months post op and have had zero complications. I'm down 80+ pounds and 10 inches off my waist! That first month was tough, to say the least. The cravings for all the junk food I used to eat were really weighing me down. Today I have no desire to resume my old eating habits.

I've discovered I don't experience dumping syndrome nor have I had any issues with food getting stuck. I can eat just about anything I want although I stay away from breads, rice or Pasta. Some foods sit rather heavy and I feel full a long time (like meatballs) and other foods I can eat much more than the 4-7oz my pouch supposedly holds.

My biggest challenge now is to find foods that I look forward to eating. My diet is still kind of bland and boring. I've never been one to cook so I'm learning different recipes.

I've read so many posts where people would say they don't regret the surgery at all and they're right. Sometime it's hard to see the forest through the trees I guess.

Well I'm sorry it wasn't you, but it worked out well. You see I got to hear your story nd it is a very nice one also even if no.pictures. We need to hear from more veterans like you out here, so don't be a stranger , you have a lot to give.