Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just bought the Bariatric Advantage chews in caramel and lemon flavors. They are very good, kind of like candy, and sugar free. Much better than swallowing the 6 Citrical pills a day I have been taking for the last 7 months. I may return to Citrical, however, given that the chews are fairly expensive.

i use Caltrate with Vitamin D

taste great. I order from Amazon so quick and easy supply

After surgery I took the Caltrate chewables and I think they are decent, taste wise. The price is pretty good as well. I took 2 chewables daily. The bottle was $14.22 and 155 tablets, approx. 2.5 months.

Recently though, I ordered the Caltrate minis, sense now I can swallow pills. They have 155 tablets as well, a 3 pack (465 tablets) on Amazon was $34.32. I will still take two per day. The Vitamin D and Calcium are increased in the minis as well.

caltrate chewables.png

caltrate mins.png

Isn’t Caltrate Calcium carbonate rather than calcium citrate? That’s why I didn’t buy it and bought Bariatric Advantage instead. Citrate is more easily absorbed; we were instructed not to use the carbonate form.

10 minutes ago, brightfaith said:

Isn’t Caltrate Calcium carbonate rather than calcium citrate? That’s why I didn’t buy it and bought Bariatric Advantage instead. Citrate is more easily absorbed; we were instructed not to use the carbonate form.

I'm not sure to be honest! So I did a quick google search. It looks like the absorption depends on whether you take it with a meal. Which my program did specifiy. I always take my Calcium with Breakfast and lunch and never within two hours of an Iron supplement. I just had my levels checked last week and I'm good to go on the Vitamin D and calcium.

https://labdoor.com/article/calcium-carbonate-vs-calcium-citrate-which-is-better-for-human-health

Edited by AshAsh1

2 minutes ago, chellechelle77 said:

The Caltrate I looked at in the store has carbonate. My surgeon specifically said to not do carbonate. Funny how all the surgeons have different thoughts :)

I agree! My surgeon was fairly picky about bariatric Vitamins. I know some people take Flinstones. It's crazy how different these programs are. I say, find what works for you, and if it's Flinstones or Caltrate.... safe the extra buck!

I take the Bariatric Advantage chocolate Peanut Butter chews. They're roughly $30 for 90 chews, which lasts me about a month. More expensive than I'd like, but it's the only expensive medicine/vitamin I'm taking now (as opposed to before surgery), so it's a trade-off.

Caltrate is carbonate.

For NORMAL people that is ok but here’s the thing... carbonate needs acid. So if you are on an acid inhibitor or have had your stomach altered (hello WLS) you don’t have enough acid to properly extract the Calcium.< br>
Please all don’t rely on carbonate!

I'm not sure to be honest! So I did a quick google search. It looks like the absorption depends on whether you take it with a meal. Which my program did specifiy. I always take my Calcium with Breakfast and lunch and never within two hours of an Iron supplement. I just had my levels checked last week and I'm good to go on the Vitamin D and Calcium.< p> https://labdoor.com/article/calcium-carbonate-vs-calcium-citrate-which-is-better-for-human-health

This is true when you have a NORMAL Anatomy which we do not! It’s because the meal stimulates acid production. But we don’t have enough surface area left in the case of a sleeve and it’s not in contact with the surface area in a bypass so there isn’t enough acid exposed to the carbonate for proper digestion.

This is true when you have a NORMAL Anatomy which we do not! It’s because the meal stimulates acid production. But we don’t have enough surface area left in the case of a sleeve and it’s not in contact with the surface area in a bypass so there isn’t enough acid exposed to the carbonate for proper digestion.

It seems to be working for me. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone else if that’s the case but my levels are great.

Citrical is citrate ---Caltrate is Carbonate---My vote💇 is Citrical if this a pageant of pills 👍

It seems to be working for me. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone else if that’s the case but my levels are great.

Your blood Calcium levels are a measure of how your parathyroid glands are functioning and nothing else. If they don’t get enough dietary calcium they will leech it from your bones because if you don’t have enough calcium in you blood you with have severe muscle spasms (tetany) and eventually not be able to breathe because calcium is necessary for nerves. Bones are secondary. I developed osteoporosis with a high level of blood calcium because I had problem with my parathyroid glands.

Please don’t rely on blood calcium to see if you are getting enough.