Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and Calories

To preface, many moons ago I played soccer in college and despite my weight gain, I still identify as an athlete. Exercise is not punishment for me, it’s something I’m excited to do again and to have more successful with.

That being said, I recently hit 4 wks and doc cleared me for cardio. I downloaded a couch to 5k app and for the last 5 days have been going on hour long run/walks for about 3-4 miles. Combined with daily activity I’m getting in 5-6 miles/day.

Problem is that I get really tired in the afternoon and am constantly hungry. I’m eating about 800-900 cal/day but wondering if I need to up that? Also following a Keto diet. I’ve been doing soft foods for a couple weeks and am capable of eating more but have been trying to stay less than 900...for no other reason than most people on here are eating so damn little after 4 weeks and I’m trying to follow suit.

A typical day may be:

8am - Decaf coffee w/ half Premier Protein

9am - 2 scrambled eggs

11am - Half serving ground beef noodle-less lasagna

2pm - other half lasagna

5pm - Greek yogurt

7pm - 2 oz Smoked Salmon, one soft cheese wedge

9pm - 1/4 cup cottage cheese

11pm - Decaf coffee w/ half premier Protein

I’ve been keeping track in MyFitnessPal and you can see the breakdown. Questions - for those that exercise, how many calories are you consuming? Any suggestions on why I’m hitting a wall in the afternoon and need a nap? If I don’t eat every 2 hours my stomach starts grumbling and I get light headed. Should I be eating more at meals? I’ve been hesitant to because I’m nervous that I’ll still need the snack and will go too high on calories for the day.

I’ve also been in a pretty major stall over the last 3 weeks. 10 days with nothing, then 5lbs in 2 days, now another 6 days with no loss. Thanks for any help! Image1523480689.719618.jpg Image1523480702.784052.jpg

Sleeved 3/12/18, HW 270, SW 253, CW 238, GW 160, 5’9”

I think your first thought on increasing meals is correct but try to offset increased calories by removing or decreasing Snacks try to move last calorie intake up to 7 or 8 then nothing but Water or black coffee till morning.

make sure you have that fat spread out to all 3 meals to make you feel more satisfied after each meal. and go with a bulk type food between meals like baby carrots or celery if you can tolerate them and they are ok with your surgeon.

good luck

Hi i was a similar start to you. A couple of things are you on an antacid? My nurse told me I shouldn’t feel hungry in the early stages and when I took an antacid it made my hunger feeling go away. Also when you start solids - like a piece of chicken or beef you will feel full for longer. My stall lasted about 6 weeks and then it started moving again with no drinks other than Water and more exercise. At a lower starting weight my surgeon said it’s not over yet but you will lose slower than people with a higher start weight. You are doing well - all the best

Thank you for posting your daily consumption, easier to identify differences. Have you considered removing some of those items and making a high Protein Shake to gain your daily recommended Protein goal? The protein shake has helped so much for myself and it cuts my hunger down allot. It started for me just like you I began to workout again and it started with walking and now I lift weights regularly to regain my strength and do at least one 27 mile bike ride a week. So I tried something new and started counting how many calories I burned to how many I was intaking daily. Once I found a combination that works best and my calorie burn was well exceeding my intake, the pounds fell off. The stalls will happen do not get discouraged, depending on your choice of exercise. Everyone knows lifting weights builds muscle and it weighs more, my weight was jumping so much I stopped looking. Just last month I was 217 and 2 or 3 days later back down to 206 and changed nothing to my diet and today I am 196 so stick with it and look at the bigger picture it helps allot and realize it is not just about weight loss. Best of luck to you!!

I would suggest the same thing as @Sammy 10-30. My surgeon discouraged eating every 2-3 hours. To have 3 meals, and 1 snack at most if needed (I do this before my daily workout). I would focus on maximizing your Protein consumption for those three meals. I wasn't loosing as much and it was suggested to me that I didn't need to eat as often. I start my day off with a protein smoothie with 45 grams of protein and go from there. I still meet or exceed my protein goals daily.

IMG_2416.JPG.ea2670158d92eff2f6413cec50dd9827.JPGIMG_2418.JPG.9a373327471d5f32f8f7feb8dca759b4.JPGIMG_2417.JPG.f3185f13736b6bb7385270babf3dce79.JPG

Which app are you using AshAsh1?

1 hour ago, Minerva1113 said:

Which app are you using AshAsh1?

MyFitnessPal

Wow! This is so helpful. Thank you everyone. AshAsh1, I really appreciate you sharing your meals. This gives me some new ideas and also reinforces that what I’m eating is too low cal and likely why I need to eat every few hours.

Sammy10-40 - how many calories do you add in vs what you burn? Like if you burn 600 extra calories from a workout, how many additional do you eat?

Sleeved 3/12/18, HW 270, SW 253, CW 238, GW 160, 5’9”

On the advice of my team, I've eaten 1000 calories a day since 3 weeks out. These days I eat between 1000 and 1200, but typically closer to 1200.

I feel God awful eating under 1000 calories a day, and refuse to do that to myself.

Also...there's research that suggests that after weight loss surgery, people on very restricted calorie diets will lose weight faster, but people eating 1000-1200 will lose just as much weight by 18 months...AND....at three years post-op will have less regain than their super-restrictive diet peers. The idea is that super restrictive diets after surgery create a lower metabolic set point, and that you need more calories to create the hot burning metabolism you want to carry you for a lifetime (or at least a metabolic set point conducive to coping with a normal caloric intake). I'm part of a research study with a major research hospital that is investigating this issue further.

I walk 5-6 mils a day, and get a variety of 3 pretty stiff cardio work out each week.

I feel better than I have since I was 20. I can run up flights of steps again. My energy is crazy good.

PS...I also eat a ton of unrefined carbs:) Beans, Whole grains, Fruits.. mayo Clinic Diet. Lotta ways up this mountain:)

Edited by Creekimp13

6 minutes ago, meli81 said:

Ash I just did mine Image1523563442.416942.jpghow can I eat more ugggg

Add some mayo to that tuna! LOL *cry face* Your diet makes me sad! I cook a lot and take leftovers most of the time for lunch. I use Kayln's Kitchen for a lot of my cooking inspiration. She has her website broken down by diet type. I try and do Keto mostly. Instead of Jello, I would add something with Protein. You could do cottage cheese, a low fat cheese stick, Greek yogurt, or even a non starch veggie. I personally eat a lot of edamome, brussle sprouts, and chick peas.

11 minutes ago, meli81 said:

Ash I just did mine Image1523563442.416942.jpghow can I eat more ugggg

Here is a good Breakfast recipe!

https://kalynskitchen.com/cottage-cheese-and-egg-breakfast/

These are great to make once a week and warm up on the go! You can add some unflavored Protein Powder to give it an extra punch.

Here is a good Breakfast recipe!
https://kalynskitchen.com/cottage-cheese-and-egg-breakfast/
These are great to make once a week and warm up on the go! You can add some unflavored Protein Powder to give it an extra punch.

I’m a month out and still have a lot going on at home so I just make tuna and go lol but looking at u I need to get my **** together. I wonder how many calories I should be eating and I do 1 hr of high intensity Zumba / boot camp lol I don’t feel sick or anything

Just now, meli81 said:

Ash how many calories u eat a day ?

I average 200-250 per meal. And i'll have a snack around 100 calories before I work out. More or less around 800 calories a day.