Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do sleevers go back to work?

I am having Sleeve surgery on May 7th and have a sit down , no lifting position at work. I was wondering what is the average time before you all are comfortable going back to work , without falling asleep at your desk.

As you will hear continually through this forum here....everyone is different. You will need to listen to your own body and your own healing.

But to answer your question......I was sleeved on a Thursday and was back to work the following Wednesday. So less than a week. I have a desk job also.

Good luck to you in this journey!!

A buddy of mine had the sleeve surgery last year. He is a desk rider also, and he said he returned after a week at home... but for half days only, as he expended a bunch of energy and became week quickly, even for a desk job.

My doctor told me a week and a half should be good enough for light duty work.

I work from home, so I technically took no time off. But I had an easy surgery and could have been back at a desk job after a week, or even sooner.

Like other folks have said everyone is different. I was back at my desk working the Monday after my surgery (4 days), but a lot of this will have to do with how well you are tolerating the pain. If you are experiencing pain its going to sap your energy and make it very hard for you to go back to work.

I am having the surgery on Monday and going back to work on Wednesday. I teach from home so I can take breaks as needed.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

7 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

I am having the surgery on Monday and going back to work on Wednesday. I teach from home so I can take breaks as needed.

That is very ambitious. Some folks will still be in the Hospital on Wed, and going back to work while taking pain meds may cause other complications.

The category "desk job" can be deceptive. I thought that because I'm not doing physical labor in my job and could do a lot of it remotely , I could go back to work part-time about two days after my surgery and then be back almost full-time the following week. What I DIDN'T take into account is that my job is at multiple desks across a city and highly strategic/stressful, so I was absolutely wiped at the end of each day even when I was just holding calls and emailing from my couch. I'm three and a half weeks out now and find that by Wednesday night, I feel like I could sleep a week. Overall I feel like I'm still playing catch-up and probably should have checked out of work for 1-2 weeks.

So I'd suggest take at a week off. If you have a job that's particularly physically or mentally taxing, maybe two.

Edited by sideeye

Well, I am saying that assuming that I am coming home on Tuesday. I had my gallbladder out a few months ago and although I was uncomfortable, I was totally able to work. If anything, it gave me something to focus on, instead of the feeling that I just did 1,000 sit ups. I know the sleeve is different, but I will be good. I can take more time off if needed, but I would rather not. I also work from home, so it’s easy to step away and take breaks.

I had my gallbladder out a few months ago and although I was uncomfortable, I was totally able to work.

The incision recovery's not what'll get you. It's the lack of caloric intake and large-scale internal repairs being made (a long incision and staples down your stomach) that will completely sap your energy. Not the case for everyone, but for me it was sort of like pregnancy brain - a huge amount of my energy was being redirected to organ repair. And then layer on top of that no calories.

Hello! Congratulations!! I’m scheduled for April 7th we have the same stats!

Hello! Congratulations!! I’m scheduled for April 7th we have the same stats!

Awesome! I am definitely excited. Your day is coming soon! [emoji3][emoji3]

I thought I would go back to work one week from surgery. I needed two weeks because I was so tired and needed to rest. It's been said many times, everyone is different.

I was off work for a week and worked from home for another week. I do not recommend anything less.