Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any success stories?

Haven't been on this site in a long time. I'm restarting my journey. But I hate to say that reading so many posts that are negative and problematic, I get worried.

Where are the success stories? I see a lot of band to sleeve conversions and how people have coped. But what about those with success stories with their bands? I was banded in 2011. Had a few issues here and there, but nothing a deflate and refill couldn't fix.

Hoping to hear some positive stories.

thanks~

My success story is having it removed. I had so much scar tissue built up that the removal took over 3 and a half hours!!! My revision, which should have only taken 3-4 hours total, took over 6. I had no symptoms other than having issues with certain foods, my endoscope was good, no erosion, no slippage, nothing on the swallow test or other imaging, yet my band was encased in scar tissue so badly it took the doctor 3 times longer than normal to remove. Even when everything seems fine with the band, there would be major issues at play. I also was banded in 2011. Just had revision surgery to RYN on the 21st of March. So glad I did! Everyone is going to be different, but with the number of issues constantly rising, the fact that major suppliers and manufacturers of the band are stopping production... it sort of tells its own story.

@Enchilada72!! Hi. I just joined this site now. I feel the same way. So much negative.

I was banded in 2008.

The past two weeks I’ve been getting everything checked out on it.

Everything is still in place.

I had 1 cc of Fluid removed today. Was having some minor esophagus problems.

So, I am re-starting my journey too!

I think if we follow everything correctly, we should be able to do this! Feel free to reach out to me here, FB, text, phone. I understand how you feel! Hugs

Haven't been on this site in a long time. I'm restarting my journey. But I hate to say that reading so many posts that are negative and problematic, I get worried.

Where are the success stories? I see a lot of band to sleeve conversions and how people have coped. But what about those with success stories with their bands? I was banded in 2011. Had a few issues here and there, but nothing a deflate and refill couldn't fix.

thanks~

Some of us old bandsters are here...

Just more in the minority obviously.

I’m like many on here, THANKFUL for my band.

Yes up and downs....yes. Fills and unfills....yes food sometimes not cooperative ... mostly ok

I’m over 11 years (this year will make 12). Kept off 80 lbs. going for those elusive last 10 .... again.

I must mention I’m sad that my

“Mentor” Alex, starter of lap band chat. ..has converted after 15 years... I’m always listening to others stories as nothing is guaranteed, except change.

Well, many of us are here and fairly successful.... just fewer...

best to all that try!!!

I started at 485 lbs 2007. Banded November. Current weight 345 lbs. Getting Port/Tube leak repaired Monday 4/9. Like anything maintenance required. I had no slippage or erosion issues some have experienced. So successful, yes.

I was banded in 2007 . I started at 212 and lost 14 lbs before the surgery. My doctors goal weight for me was 150 lbs in a year. But I was lucky and I made it to 118-121 lbs. that was my stable weight until I had my second daughter. Then my weight went down after I had my baby. I went down to my normal weight. I love my band and even tho I had a few problems I love it

thanks~

Thanks for posting I needed to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I am a success story. I got down to my ideal weight within the first year of getting my band in 2008 and kept the weight off for 8 years. I retired 3 years ago and unfortunately too many calzones and strombolie's put me up about 35 pounds which I am trying to get off. The good news, some good days and some bad days on getting stuck but had blood work done last week and for the young age of 65, it came back excellent. No diabetes, no cholesterol problem and do not need to live on prilosec. I believe that the band saved me from the downward spiral of all the problems of obesity. If I get back down to my ideal weight, I will be very pleased with myself.

I was banded 10/16/14, and I was 250lbs....

To me my story is a success....but I have to work at it every day. Exercise, what I eat, drink, ect. and it is rare that my band acts the same every day. It's like an unpredictable child...lol. never quite know when it will act up, but do your best to steer clear of the things I know will throw it into a temper tantrum....

But being over 100lbs lighter, and healthier....I can say I would do it again in a heartbeat....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• AshAsh1

So I'm having a really really really crappy day. Crappy month really.  My husbands been off work for 2 months with an injury and I've been picking up all the slack with everything. And while, I'm happy to step up to the plate and do these things, I'm getting worn out, physically and mentally. And we went to the doctor today that just pushed his recovery time out for another 2 months.
      The reason I tell you all this......
      I bought twizzlers from the vending machine... and I've been nibbling on them.....
      So much for a lifestyle change *cry face*
      Its crazy because I haven't thought about food as comfort in a very long time. But today, I broke.
      · 7 replies
      1. Matt Z

Are you binge eating those snacks?
        Are you way over your calorie counts?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no".
        You *clearly* have made the lifestyle change, you are eating a candy and I'm sure you are taking the time to savor and enjoy it too. Don't feel bad about it. You are allowed some "junk" foods every now and again, it's the whole "all the time" that was bad. I have no doubt in my mind that you've made the changes and are living a totally different food life now.

Forgive yourself.
        Only stress about what you can control.
        You are a rock star!

2. AshAsh1

Thank you Matt.

You are right, I'm not binging by any means. I guess what upsets me is that I bought it, not because I was craving something sweet or because I was hungry. I bought them because I thought it would emotionally make me feel better. Which it didn't, which is a good thing, because I know now that not only I shouldn't turn to food, but it doesn't work anymore.

You are a great friend. Thanks again for the words of encouragement and understanding.

3. Matt Z

I get where the "upset" is coming from, but that revelation should show you that you've really made MASSIVE changes to your entire lifestyle.

The simple fact that you are on here, talking about how upset eating some Twizzlers made you... is more than enough proof that you are doing the right things.

Allow the concession and smile. That old Ash is gone.

4. sillykitty

Hi Ash ...

Sorry you are having the crappy month :(

I agree with Matt, that one vending machine purchase does not undo the tremendous success you have had, and the lifestyle changes you have made. And even better yet, you learned that food doesn't give you the comfort it once did.

We are way harder on ourselves than we would be on anyone else!

Hugs!!

5. GreenTealael

Twizzlers? What twizzlers? Over and done. Never happened.

6. View All Replies
    • Little Kansas Kitty

I moved from "obese" and made it to the "overweight" category on the BMI chart today!  Yippee!  Check out my latest 13 week Post-Op update on YouTube:  

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • macadamia

I'm less than 320 for the first time in many many years. I honestly cannot remember when. The lowest I can remember being is 325 back in 2015, but less than 320!?! I'm just over three weeks post-op and I'm down a total of 64.2 pounds lost since June 29, 2018, when I first saw the surgeon.
      · 6 replies
      1. MargoCL

Congratulations! You're doing great

2. macadamia

Thank you @GreenTealael & @MargoCL! I appreciate it!

3. Little Kansas Kitty

Wahoooo! So happy to hear everything is going well for you. Been thinking of you. :) Congrats on the HUGE loss so far.

4. Orchids&Dragons

Congrats! Wonderful progress!

5. GreenTealael

Post progress pics!

6. View All Replies
    • fmellnick

So i'm new to this! Came across this site trying to figure out if my hungry self can eat pasta two weeks post op! (Of course I know this wont be a good idea lol) But Im glad I found it because I for sure need some support from people who are going though the same thing! So i'm two weeks post op and I feel like the first week great! I lost 16 lbs that week....but this week I have only lost 3 pounds!  What i'm I doing wrong?! And NOOOOO I havent been eating solids....regardless the pasta comment lol Im still on liquids. Hummmmm...TBC
      · 4 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful insights here. Just so you know - status posts don't usually get many responses. If you'd like to hear from several people, it is best to start a thread (post a topic).

And, you're right, pasta would be a really bad idea :o

2. fmellnick

Thank you so much! :) Good thing you told me this site is weird to get around lol

3. Orchids&Dragons

Yes, it's definitely not intuitive. I will also warn you that posts about foods that you know you shouldn't eat sometimes elicit "over-the-top" responses. This is a religion for some people and they may not get that you were joking.

4. fmellnick

Oh man! Youre the best thanks for the heads up! :)

• virginia's weight loss

I am 4 months post op from having gastric bypass surgery I've only lost 30 pounds. Why is the weight coming off so slowly??
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs