Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so scared since my vsg 20 feb,18. I feel that I am not doing well like others. I have feelings of anxiety and bad mood that I doubt it was the right decision to do the surgery. Everyday I sense an ailment (breathing discomfort, chest uneasiness) in my body and I attribute it to the surgery. Even as soon as I started pureed foods I developed severe heartburn and inflamed stomach that my doc put me back on liquids. I have worries all the time that I will never be normal and that the surgery will cause me many complications. The point is that ii underwent vsg with a very determined will, nobody pushed me to that. I read about it months before and I was completely convinced that it was my only resort. I really wonder what's going on with me and why I feel so unhappy and negative? I will be glad if you can share your early experience after vsg and assure me that may be things will be alright.

The first couple months really sucked for me. I could only eat a tiny bit of food. Just focus on hydration and eat a little bit at a time. In my experience the first few months were a chore. Lightheaded a lot of time, it was hard to drink enough Water, and a tiny bit of food made me feel uncomfortable. But as you get farther out your sleeve should heal up and expand a bit and you will feel better. You just have to adjust to your new normal. I eat more often than i did before, but i just eat less each time.

It is called buyers remorse. You do not have the same relationship with food as you did prior to the surgery. Right now, food is not your comfort. Therefore you are feeling down.

Have you ever heard the saying, "The body can achieve, what the mind conceives"? I ask because it seems that your anxiety with food now is affecting you physically.

My first few months out. I would be soo scared to eat anything that I would make myself sick when I ate (subconsciously). I would eat three bites and because of fear of overeating, I convinced myself that I was full. I went from having one unhealthy relationship with food (loving it) to another (hating it). I gave up one eating disorder for another. I had to change my relationship with food.

These first months will test you emotionally, physically and spiritually. They can either destroy you or make you stronger. Use this time to make a plan for yourself (goals that do not pertain to the scale).

I hope this helps. Trust in due time it will get better.

I think some of what you describe can be a normal phase for some. But it sounds like your anxiety is really peaking. And that's not so normal. So if it were me, I'd call my surgeon--cuz that's what they are there for--and get a referral to a psych and start counseling so you can get this handled now before it becomes a bigger problem. I will tell you that you sound very stressed out--and the cortisol and hormone dump that corresponds to that is seriously bad for you and can bring on many different medical challenges. So make the call this morning ok? ((hugs))

Edited by FluffyChix

Thank you all so much for your support. It means alot to me. I really needed those words of encouragement to elevate my spirits.

3 hours ago, Sleeve1stFitNext said:

It is called buyers remorse. You do not have the same relationship with food as you did prior to the surgery. Right now, food is not your comfort. Therefore you are feeling down.

These first months will test you emotionally, physically and spiritually. They can either destroy you or make you stronger. Use this time to make a plan for yourself (goals that do not pertain to the scale).

I hope this helps. Trust in due time it will get better.

^^^ THIS ^^^ - I needed to see this. I'm having a very rough day emotionally - this process has been quite a roller coaster ride and I have days like this where I just wonder what the heck I've done. Those days always pass and I know it will be ok. Thank you.

@Perla It’s common for people to struggle emotionally after WLS. Although not everyone does, it’s well-documented that depression can set in following surgery. And, anxiety is a close cousin to depression. Many patients get depressed bc WLS surgery is life-changing and adaptation to this new way of life can be challenging. I agree with @Sleeve1stFitNext when she mentioned that the emotions you’re feeling may be causing physical symptoms. Anxiety, especially a panic attack, can cause breathing issues and chest pain.

Rest assured that you made the best choice possible for your health. You explained that you did a lot of research. Each step you took led you to the next step (and you were thinking through each move as you went along), eventually leading you to surgery. Second-guessing happens. No need to stay stuck in that loop though.

In time, WLS can ease depression (not that you said you’re experiencing that). I just want to mention that since I mentioned that depression can set in post-operatively. I struggle with depression and anxiety. My nurse practitioner is seeing me regularly to make sure both are addressed if they become a problem.

Be gentle with yourself. You made a very wise decision. Another wise decision is to speak with your doctor if you continue to feel this way. Two weeks of feeling this way is enough time to give your doc a call. 🌼

3 minutes ago, Perla said:

Cant express how much iam thankful for your encouraging words .. cant tell you how much I need them at the moment.. I really hope things get better over time @KatFight

They will. I know it doesn’t seem like it now but they will. Some anxiety medication may help in the meantime. If you’re not doing this already, maybe give yourself care by taking a warm bubble or epsom salt bath - whatever little things that will soothe. You are deserving. You may feel darkness emotionally now but hope is still there. Sending prayers your way...🌷

5 minutes ago, KatFight said:

They will. I know it doesn’t seem like it now but they will. Some anxiety medication may help in the meantime. If you’re not doing this already, maybe give yourself care by taking a warm bubble or epsom salt bath - whatever little things that will soothe. You are deserving. You may feel darkness emotionally now but hope is still there. Sending prayers your way...🌷

Thank you❤ love you so much for ur kindness😍

I hope you are feeling a little better after reading the above posts, they all come from heart and wisdom and I am also making mental notes to myself.

Take care and keep reaching out.

I totally agree with you. I don know what would I have done without ur love and support. Thank u all so much for being there for me🌷

Perla, You will get through this!!! My doctor told me that this could happen, I would call and see they can refer you to someone to help you over this hump. You are in my thoughts!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

So this thread is fabulous. I needed to read some of this today.

I was sleeved 2/19- the first two weeks were easy. I breezed through it and thought it was going to be the best thing ever. 3 1/2 weeks out, and I am not feeling the same way. food is a chore now and I feel like I am not winning. I am nauseous all day, certain smells trigger gag reflexes, and I can no longer drink my Protein Shakes without gagging. I’m struggling to get the necessary Protein in. Which i think is leading to my energy levels decreasing. I just can’t seem to pull it together. One day I can eat a soft food and feel ok, the next I can’t even stomach smelling the same food. It feels almost like morning sickness. Anyone else have this problem?