Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never heard this!!!???

Hi there I am new to the forum, I'm 23 and I am getting banded on Nov. 7 2007. I have been reading some posts and I am shocked at some of the things I have read.

My doctor did not share these things with me and i guess maybe I won't find this out until the pre-op appointment, but I read on a couple posts that you are intibated (sp) and that you have to have a urine catheter(sp) put in...YIKES! do they put these things in after you are out?? I have other psychological problems with my womanly parts that I would never let anyone put a tube in me while I am awake!! Do they take it out before you wake up?? OMG I am super scared now!! Someone please help me understand what I just signed up for...I thought they would just put me out like they did when I had my wisdom teeth removed..now I am nervous and unsure..

Any answers would be helpful!!

I did not have a catheter. If you are really worried about it, you could call your doc's office and ask. I'm sure if you do have to have one that you could request it be put in while you are asleep but I doubt you have to have one because the surgery is over in less than an hour and you are up walking probably within an hour of waking up. Plus, you have had nothing to drink for like 12 hours or so.

You are intubated after they put you out and they take that tube out before you wake up. Your throat may be a dry, sore or scratchy for a few days but it's no big deal. No worries. Congrats and good luck.

I had a cathetar put in after the surgery, as I wasn't able to go on my own. I pushed but nothing came out. So the nurse put in a cathetar and an amazing 1000 cc came out. I did not need one for surgery, as I was in and out in under an hour, but afterwards I did.

Honestly it didn't hurt at all. I was on a morphine pump at the time so that may explain it. I was still on it when it the catheter came out. So no pain there. Honestly I was on so much morphine I could have cared less if they did the actual lap band surgery to me then. I was sent home with oxicontin, which in my opinion was wayyy stronger than morphine.

Just because the surgery is short doesn't mean you won't need a catheter.

-Leena

Intubation is used in all general surgeries. You will never know or remember it happened except for a slight sore throat after. They give you meds that total knock you out. you will be on the operating table and they will give the meds and you will all of a sudden feel really good, they will have you start counting back from 10 and by 7 your out, then they put the tube in. We they take it out you are slightly coherent but you won't remember them taking it out. I have been intubated on 3 separate occasions (going on my fourth) and never remember a thing. As for the cath they may and may not need to use it. When they put it in you will be under anesthesia and won't even know it, when they take it out sometimes you are awake, You could discuss your fears with you dr and request to be sedated for the removal, but you will probably still be on post op morphine and you will not even care. Hope this helps

Imonmyway, I did not have a catheter for my surgery, nor did anyone else that I know that has been banded. The occasion that arises of not being able to pee after surgery is a not usually a problem. There are a select few that have that problem after any surgery. Most do not. Most lapband doctors offices have a nurse or a person that councels you through any doubts and questions you may have. Mine did. Call them so your mind can be put at ease. You need to be confident and have a positive attitude when going into this. I am sure you will do fine, but talk with your doctor, get the facts, and I think you will feel much better. Take care and good luck.

There's really no need to worry. You will be intubated, but honestly I wouldn't have known I had been except for the sore throat I had for a couple days after surgery. And as far as a cathetar goes, I've rarely heard of people needing one post surgery. I will second what others have said and suggest that you call your surgeon's office and ask the nurse any questions you have about the procedure, they're there to help you!

Good luck with your banding!

Hi there,

I did not have a catheter (sp?) and they didn't put a tube down my throat either. My anesthesiologist used some sort of mask that barely goes into the throat. He told me that he would have to tube me if the mask didn't work, but it worked fine.

I'm an extremely modest person and I worried about a lot of little things before my surgery. What helped me was to focus on my goal and know that any discomfort right before, during, or after surgery will soon be in the past and forgotten.

I agree that getting more information from your doctor might really help you out. Good luck!!

Hi, Because of my sleep apnea and had only been on my cpap machine for two weeks they did use the tube down my throat. That was done after I went under the drugs. Unfortunately I came out of the meds quicker than they realized so I was awake when they took it out. They did warn me that if I was awake not to get excited, to remain calm and not try to talk, the vibration of the vocal cords on the tube makes for the sore throat. HOWEVER my surgery had been delayed by two hours - had I known that I was not going to have a catheter I would have asked to use the restroom!!!

You will probably be intubated (after you are under) and you will most likely NOT have a catheter (operation is too short). Why does everyone get all bent out of shape about these things? The tube will be in while you are aleep and out while you are asleep. No big issue. Doctors don't normally tell you the entire mechanics of the procedure, so don't feel like your doctor is withholding information. It's nothing you are going to feel or know is there. You'll be aware of it just about as much as you'd be aware of some person stubbing their toe on the other side of town....

I'll be the voice of dissent here... I DID have a urinary catheter. It is my doc's SOP. All patients get cathed. I expressed my displeasure with that SOP, and was told that the cath was done after the patient was anesthetized, and was removed prior to waking up.

While true that it was placed after I went to sleep; it wasn't removed until I was in recovery. They said that they "forgot" to remove it before I woke up. Honestly, even in recovery, I barely remember them removing it.

Hi I am Bob banded Aug 7 2007 in Toronto The tube is common. I did not even think of this until a few days later when a slight soreness in my throat went away. As for the catheter, ask your doctor. They should answer all of your questions.

Good luck. Bob

There is nothing to even be worried about, you will be knocked out and not know what they will be doing to you.. It really is not a big deal, that is the least of your worries. It is the pain after words that is what hurts, not anything going on during your surgery, that is the fun part, you get to be drugged up and feel nothing. Well good luck!!

I can relate to your fear of being intubated... I found out the week before and was so paniced about the fact of a tube being placed down my throat... But no worries it isn't bad at least i don think so Don't remember it at all because of the fact i was out cold LoL... But its perfectly normal to be scared at first but think of all the good that will come out of it.

(i did not have a catheter in.... that's actually the first i heard of it being put in for the band... But then again its based on each individual person ask the doctor.. and if so let him know how you feel about that and ask for it to not be put in until your out.)

Actually there was a movie that I saw before surgery about anethesia and what they actually do and why it was needed. I was of course a little concerned because when I got the tubing from having my daughter (c-section) my throat was killing me for a couple of days. But this time, all I had was a very dry throat.