Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5-6 weeks nothing over 10 lbs. Besides lifting my brat 25 lb dog I 100% complied. I already have an incisional hernia that needs repair scheduled next month and I refused to get a second one.

Never heard anything about weights and a stall. You will need to increase your macros though. As soon as I could i continued my HIIT routine. first twice a week, then 3x and now that I’m almost 6 months out I do two a days 5 days a week. Put on a ton of muscle and I’m down 85 lbs to about 185ish. Hashimoto’s hypothyroid relapsed so the past two weeks have been iffy.

5-6 weeks nothing over 10 lbs. Besides lifting my brat 25 lb dog I 100% complied. I already have an incisional hernia that needs repair scheduled next month and I refused to get a second one.

Never heard anything about weights and a stall. You will need to increase your macros though. As soon as I could i continued my HIIT routine. first twice a week, then 3x and now that I’m almost 6 months out I do two a days 5 days a week. Put on a ton of muscle and I’m down 85 lbs to about 185ish. Hashimoto’s hypothyroid relapsed so the past two weeks have been iffy.

Thank you so much, lol love the thing about your dog both of mine add up to 25 lbs, i also have hypothyroidism i know how difficult that can be. My weight is pretty high I’m preop I’m 293 but my goal weight is 165

2 hours ago, chabelchavez said:

I’m wondering when did everyone start exercising. I’m one week till surgery, but wondering when did everyone start exercising besides walking. I was told not to do weights because it will cause a stall

One week! woohoo. Your Dr will release you. He/she will give you instructions on how much weight to lift when you start to heal. Rest up after surgery!

OK so my Dr says I'm def an exception but I walked the nurse's station in the hospital 5 times around about 3 hours after my surgery and continued to do that every couple hours until my release the next day. Once I was home, I began doing Leslie sansone 1 mile walks in front of my TV with a belly band and also doing some squats. I'm now 19 days out of surgery and running/walking 2 miles on the treadmill pretty much daily. My Dr did warn me not to do any core exercise and that makes perfect sense cause when I do use my core I can kinda feel a tight pull like my internal stitches are "pulling" just do what feels right for your body. I worked out a lot before my surgery and I started out low bmi so everybody's gonna be different

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m starting my 6th week post op and dr also told me no picking up anything over 20 lbs but to walk walk walk everyday it helps for u to recover faster and also to avoid getting blood clots walking is exercise.

I was cleared to start exercising 6 weeks after surgery. I was allowed to walk right after surgery, though.

Make sure you ask your doc about weight training. My doc actually encourages it because it helps you maintain/gain muscle mass. When you lose large amounts of weight quickly, your body will actually consume muscle. Less muscle = slower metabolism.

I'm not an expert, but I'd definitely run that by your doc! :)

Thank you so much, lol love the thing about your dog both of mine add up to 25 lbs, i also have hypothyroidism i know how difficult that can be. My weight is pretty high I’m preop I’m 293 but my goal weight is 165

My highest was like 267, 247 at surgery (aug 23), currently 183 but have had huge muscle gains (dietician said I look jacked!!!!) and they told me my goal weight is 160 but I’d prefer 140. We’ll see. The hypothyroid is really a bummer right now. Finally lost a couple lbs after gaining around 5 in a week. Plus I’m always ice cold. In SoCal and I’m under 3 blankets! Hopefully my endo will offer thyroid replacement even though it’s still technically subclinical.

You can totally end up like me or better at your preop weight! My goal physique is that of a crossfitter so I expect my weight to be higher than the bullshit BMI scale says is appropriate.

I walked and walked and walked some more after surgery to get the gas pains out and keep my body moving. I wasn't allowed to do any sort of work out including weights or ab focused exercises until 8 weeks out. Every program is different though! Now that I'm almost 3 months out I'm walking outside when it's nice and doing Jillian Michaels DVDs or riding my stationary bike when it isn't :D I'm not super into weight training yet, but baby steps. I hated exercise before my surgery so this is huge progress for me.

The walking only phase was so boring. Not looking forward to it after my open hernia repair. I despise walking as exercise.