Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Commercials

Good word. I haven’t even gotten sleeved yet (Feb 28) and I’m already starting to miss food when I watch Dominos commercials, Applebee’s, Wendy’s, and countless others with sizzling food, cheese and drizzled sauces. How do y’all handle this when watching TV? I’m sure I’m going to retrain my brain very slowly and eventually I won’t think anything of it. Or at least I hope. Maybe you don’t crave these foods anymore and they begin to look so unhealthy and gross? But it’s so distracting right now!

My recommendation is that you order some as soon as it's appropriate for your post-op diet and eat some. You'll find that it doesn't taste as good as you remembered, or you won't be able to eat as much, or it won't agree with you...you'll find something to put you off of it.

That’s so comforting to hear. Thanks :)

The pizza commercials still get to me sometimes, because it's one of my favorites. If I make something pizza-like, such as cauliflower pizza or pizza casserole, it helps cut my cravings down and makes them tolerable. There are ways to make substitutes for your favorite foods so you still get a little of the flavor you want.

I have eaten pizza, but it doesn't make me feel too terrible, it just gives me gas later, and I can eat more of it than I thought. Not much of a deterrent, so it's just something I have to stay away from or find a sub for because it is definitely a trigger food to overeat. While I won't say I will never eat it again, I definitely want to save it for special occasions only and not fall back into the habits that put me at such a high weight in the first place.

The only other commercial that gets to me is Taco Bell, but I know that stuff never tastes as good as TV makes it look, so no loss there!

I think after your surgery, you will find that your tastes change so the same things may not bother you as much.

I didn't choose to be sleeved to eat only kale and grilled chicken breast for the rest of my life. I chose to be sleeved so I would eat mostly healthily. But when I wanted to indulge, I would be satisfied with much smaller quantities. Don't focus on what you can't have! When everything is black and white, good and bad, it's easy to feel like you failed and get defeated. Every food is both good and bad, I just try to stay further on the good side!

I didn't choose to be sleeved to eat only kale and grilled chicken breast for the rest of my life. I chose to be sleeved so I would eat mostly healthily. But when I wanted to indulge, I would be satisfied with much smaller quantities. Don't focus on what you can't have! When everything is black and white, good and bad, it's easy to feel like you failed and get defeated. Every food is both good and bad, I just try to stay further on the good side!

Wow. Thats a really good point. I forget to think that life needs balance and it can’t be too constricted or else you risk being miserable. Thanks for that insight!! :)

3 hours ago, logicwand said:

starting to miss food when I watch commercials,

@logicwand

I fast forward through allll tv commercials. Especially food.< /strong>

much easier to "walk on by" then looking at yummy foods

that's why "they" invented DVR's and Netflex.:rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

Haha, yes! And indeed I have Netflix....and DVD. Everyone has such great advice! That’s why I love you guys and this forum. Thanks proudgrammy!!

Oh, and I meant I have DVR. Lol [emoji12]