Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am currently in my 2nd month of UnitedHealthCare required doctor monitored 6 month diet before surgery.

Does anyone have tips on this? How to answer the Doctor on what to do? WHAT to do without loosing TOO much without being denied by falling under the 40BMI required? I actually think I gained this month!! And I’m struggling with 5 more months of “diet and exercise tips” to tell the doctor... or is that actually the reality??

Please Help I’m new and confused

I have unitedhealthcare as well, and my uhc nurse case manager told me not to worry about losing too much weight, because they will base the criteria on your starting BMI.

The great thing about uhc is that the requirements are so clearly laid out! I just went to see my doctor once a month for six months, and brought the sheet with me each time, and followed my doctors instructions. I gained weight one month, the rest of the time I lost weight. I ended up losing about 30 pounds during those six months. I got approved no problem!

Oh, and here’s what he said each month.
Month 1: make better food choices, walk at least 10k steps a day.
Month 2: add to above plan, diet aid “my fitness pal” and remain within calorie limits.
Month 3: add to above plans, start cardio exercise 30 minutes, 3x week
Month 4: add to above plans, start on Contrave diet pill
Month 5: continue above plans. Remain using Contrave
Month 6: continue above plans. Recommend patient proceed with weight loss surgery

I have UHC and the main thing to focus on is that your first appointment weight CAN NOT be less than your last.

That is the way they make you start over.
So my first appointment I was 309 now at 6th month I am at 282. Because my doctor told me out rocks in your pocket of you have to, but make sure you do not weigh more on the 6th month than when you started.

I don't have Tips I just started being more aware of my good choices as I realised I was not going to wake up SEXY AND THIN after the surgery I began to take this surgery as a TOOL not the ANSWER to my weight loss.

Took me over a year and a half to get to where I am emotionally. I am glad I waited and understood I HAVE TO CHANGE MY CHOICES IN MY LIFE!

My knees are bad, and I just can't live like this anymore.

So just start being accountable for what you are eating and what you are not doing that has got you to the point that you need to have a surgery to improve your health. That is what i did.

So choice stairs or elevator. Tortilla or lettuce leaf to wrap your taco, actually does help in the long run too.

Hope this helped. I no longer struggle as much with food choices. I have to come to grips with binging when sad. Which my children have now began to help me by making me meet them at the store in the day time.

With inclusion from them and actually them really helping with my I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE MY HOUSE, time in My life. I have to deal with my anxieties. So I have less time to think of my childhood or give any of the bad times in my life a second thought.

If you consider not stocking your cabinets with bad foods then that makes it harder to eat them.

I ask myself am I hungry or bored? Am I sad or hungry? Am I mad or hungry?

I also became vegan 6 months ago for the sake of animals. I think that had helped some too.

I am not saying you must go vegan, I am saying vegetarian is a great way to start changing your habits.

I downloaded an app for bullet journaling and that has a tracker of how I felt everyday. I noticed a few patterns and made less time for those moments.

I am not running from my past. I just have never recieved the closure needed because those that hurt me don't care or realize that they did anything wrong. I am okay with most, I just pushed them all out of my life because they brough my self pity and anger out all the time.

This is way to long and probably will not be received as a "these things helped me"

I am really trying to help. :)

Sent from my LGMS631 using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, LovefromAZ said:

I have UHC and the main thing to focus on is that your first appointment weight CAN NOT be less than your last.

That is the way they make you start over.
So my first appointment I was 309 now at 6th month I am at 282. Because my doctor told me out rocks in your pocket of you have to, but make sure you do not weigh more on the 6th month than when you started.

I don't have Tips I just started being more aware of my good choices as I realised I was not going to wake up SEXY AND THIN after the surgery I began to take this surgery as a TOOL not the ANSWER to my weight loss.

Took me over a year and a half to get to where I am emotionally. I am glad I waited and understood I HAVE TO CHANGE MY CHOICES IN MY LIFE!

My knees are bad, and I just can't live like this anymore.

So just start being accountable for what you are eating and what you are not doing that has got you to the point that you need to have a surgery to improve your health. That is what i did.

So choice stairs or elevator. Tortilla or lettuce leaf to wrap your taco, actually does help in the long run too.

Hope this helped. I no longer struggle as much with food choices. I have to come to grips with binging when sad. Which my children have now began to help me by making me meet them at the store in the day time.

With inclusion from them and actually them really helping with my I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE MY HOUSE, time in My life. I have to deal with my anxieties. So I have less time to think of my childhood or give any of the bad times in my life a second thought.

If you consider not stocking your cabinets with bad foods then that makes it harder to eat them.

I ask myself am I hungry or bored? Am I sad or hungry? Am I mad or hungry?

I also became vegan 6 months ago for the sake of animals. I think that had helped some too.

I am not saying you must go vegan, I am saying vegetarian is a great way to start changing your habits.

I downloaded an app for bullet journaling and that has a tracker of how I felt everyday. I noticed a few patterns and made less time for those moments.

I am not running from my past. I just have never recieved the closure needed because those that hurt me don't care or realize that they did anything wrong. I am okay with most, I just pushed them all out of my life because they brough my self pity and anger out all the time.

This is way to long and probably will not be received as a "these things helped me"

I am really trying to help. :)

Sent from my LGMS631 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks a lot! I really am at the point where I am changing myself for the better. I cannot continue to do those bad things to my body any longer. My knees, feet, hips... are all feeling the pain.

I know how to eat properly it’s just following through without failing the insurance requirements But I’m ready especially for my health heading into my 50’s!

On 2/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, stacy71 said:

I am currently in my 2nd month of UnitedHealthCare required doctor monitored 6 month diet before surgery.

Does anyone have tips on this? How to answer the Doctor on what to do? WHAT to do without loosing TOO much without being denied by falling under the 40BMI required? I actually think I gained this month!! And I’m struggling with 5 more months of “diet and exercise tips” to tell the doctor... or is that actually the reality??

Please Help I’m new and confused

Hey!!! I was actually dealing with this same problem. In fact, on my last weight in had lost 6-7 pounds and managed to stayed exactly on 243- with a bmi of ***40.6** . Believe it or not meal prepping will save your life during these 6 months . I stopped drinking juice, bread etc. I would make fresh juice with some kale etc when I wanted juice . I would eat oatmeal in the morning with some fruits , and tea(a bit of honey) , chicken breast ( or ground turkey) and a small amount of rice and a side of vegetables, sometimes I would have farina and alooot of Water and ***teaaaa specially chai or black tea with milk( loove it ) . Good luck . Time will fly .

Thanks a lot! I really am at the point where I am changing myself for the better. I cannot continue to do those bad things to my body any longer. My knees, feet, hips... are all feeling the pain.
I know how to eat properly it’s just following through without failing the insurance requirements But I’m ready especially for my health heading into my 50’s!

I am so happy to hear that you are doing everything possible to be able to get where you need to be. :)

6 hours ago, ninamarie0486 said:

I gained 12 lbs in the 6 months (lost the first two months then gained through the holidays) and I still got approved, surgery in 10 days. Don't stress but track your food and try to be active. Drink tons of water! Good luck!

Just a heads up, My surgeon’s office is very strict on this. On all my pre op paperwork there’s a warning. You cannot gain during pre op. Check with your surgeon’s office. I asked my patient liason about losing too much weight at the beginning of the six months. She told me that the weight you are at your surgical consult is the one that they submit to insurance! I felt so much better.

If you’re required to see a dietician, I’d would start there. They will have tips and goals for you.

Focus on drinking enough Water. At least 64 oz a day.

High Protein. Aim for 80-100g a day. Keep carbs lower than protein.

Eliminate soda and caffeine. You can’t have either for a few months after surgery (most say never again for soda).

Cut down on meals eaten out. Learn to cook new things or your favorites in a healthy way.

They will also tell you to start chewing each bite 30 times, and to start getting yourself used to having to stop drinking liquids 30 min before and 30 min after each meal.

Edited by Jerseygirl4523

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl4523 said:

Just a heads up, My surgeon’s office is very strict on this. On all my pre op paperwork there’s a warning. You cannot gain during pre op. Check with your surgeon’s office. I asked my patient liason about losing too much weight at the beginning of the six months. She told me that the weight you are at your surgical consult is the one that they submit to insurance! I felt so much better.

If you’re required to see a dietician, I’d would start there. They will have tips and goals for you.

Focus on drinking enough Water. At least 64 oz a day.

High Protein. Aim for 80-100g a day. Keep carbs lower than Protein.

Eliminate soda and caffeine. You can’t have either for a few months after surgery (most say never again for soda).

Cut down on meals eaten out. Learn to cook new things or your favorites in a healthy way.

They will also tell you to start chewing each bite 30 times, and to start getting yourself used to having to stop drinking liquids 30 min before and 30 min after each meal.

Thanks! I don’t have many foods to cut out except sugar. I don’t drink anything but Water, a 80-120 oz a day. The struggle will be the 30 min time crunch before and after food. I drink A LOT with food!

I guess I need to talk to the dietitian or office nurse too.

11 hours ago, chabelchavez said:

Most importantly practice not drinking 30 minutes before, after or during meals. That is what also helped me loose weight preop, I have surgery next week , same insurance

This has been a struggle!

Good Luck with surgery!!!

On 2/19/2018 at 1:32 AM, ninamarie0486 said:

I gained 12 lbs in the 6 months (lost the first two months then gained through the holidays) and I still got approved, surgery in 10 days. Don't stress but track your food and try to be active. Drink tons of water! Good luck!

Thanks!!! And good luck for your surgery!!!

Thanks! I don’t have many foods to cut out except sugar. I don’t drink anything but Water, a 80-120 oz a day. The struggle will be the 30 min time crunch before and after food. I drink A LOT with food!
I guess I need to talk to the dietitian or office nurse too.

My problem is soda....I drank it all day...down to one can a day....soon will stop that. Hoping to get sleeve in April, have 1 more appt with dietician and PCP first week of March. Have gone up and down with weight down only 5 lbs. Good luck ! I'm sure u can do it [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

32 minutes ago, Elizabeth 06388 said:

My problem is soda....I drank it all day...down to one can a day....soon will stop that. Hoping to get sleeve in April, have 1 more appt with dietician and PCP first week of March. Have gone up and down with weight down only 5 lbs. Good luck ! I'm sure u can do it

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sounds like you’re doing great!!! Giving up on something you did all the time wonderful!! My challenge is sweets 🙄 but I know I can do it. 4 more Dr weight checks after today’s appointment- I gained 3 lbs!!