Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unable to tolerate meat!?!?

Hi! I’m 10 weeks out from RNY bypass and I can’t eat any meat! I’ve tried chicken, salmon, and beef. I chew very well and take small bite , but it makes me sick every time. Anyone else experience this? They want me to get most of my Protein from food and not shakes but without being able to eat meat my protein choices are limited. Help!

Sure! 1/4 of Cup of soy Proteins has 23 g of proteins! You can make a light sauce with a little bit of almond milk and the soy proteins and add salt nutmeg and cook some small vegetables! You can eat edamame! It’s delicious and very high in Protein, tofu! You can blend the tofu very well with herbs, salt, black pepper then empty small tomatoes and stuff them with the blended tofu. Hummus, lentils (1/4 cup red lentils have 13-14 g of proteins! Super easy to cook) , almonds... trust me! With plant based diet it’s super easy, tolerable and effective. My starting weight was around 285 pounds, at the surgery 245 (sept 2017) and now I am 172. I am male, 32 yo, 5’11”... please let me know if I can further help!

Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to try to add some of those ideas to my meal prep!

eggs, yogurt, cheese. One of the happiest discoveries for me was high-protein Pasta made from lentils. Peanut Butter. Refried Beans. And I second the cottage cheese--I have a bowl of that with some fruit (pineapple or mandarin oranges, usually) almost every day. Quaker makes a high-protein oatmeal--it's only 10 grams a serving, but it's a nice change once or twice a week.

(Disclaimer: I also eat meat, but I don't think it would be possible for me to get all my Protein from that.)

I had sleeve and struggled with chicken for first couple of months. By month 3 that seemed to go away. Fruits with skin also gave me problems in the first couple of months.
Since month 6 I haven't found any foods off limit.
So, be patient and keep trying.
Have you pureed the meat? Ground chicken, turkey or beef?
Tuna was an easy one for me from the beginning.

Other options: PB2 powder. It doesn't have the same fat content as Peanut Butter.< br>Lentils are a fave.
Look into black Beans and lima beans too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Maybe it's still too soon. Just a guess. Try again later or try having meat different ways. I know the meats you've listed are more dense. If you aren't allergic to shrimp, I've found that for me, that goes down easier than salmon or any other fish. Have you tried ground turkey or chicken? Maybe Scallops?

Red meats are usually harder to digest and are more dense. I rarely eat them. Sometimes if you let them sit in a marinade for a half hour to an hour, that might make it go down a little easier. Even if you have the meat sitting in some gravy, that helps bunches too.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-140
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Maybe it's still too soon. Just a guess. Try again later or try having meat different ways. I know the meats you've listed are more dense. If you aren't allergic to shrimp, I've found that for me, that goes down easier than salmon or any other fish. Have you tried ground turkey or chicken? Maybe Scallops?

Red meats are usually harder to digest and are more dense. I rarely eat them. Sometimes if you let them sit in a marinade for a half hour to an hour, that might make it go down a little easier. Even if you have the meat sitting in some gravy, that helps bunches too.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-140
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Yes have been thinking that maybe it’s just too soon! I just got some shrimp today to try! Thanks for the insight!

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this. I am 9 weeks out. I have struggled with ground turkey, turkey sausage and a turkey burger. But can do turkey bacon and deli turkey slices. So weird. So i unfortunately switched to ground beef which I have never been a fan of. Someone mentioned to me to use only organic really top of the line cause it could be preservatives and other junk that's making us sick. Idk if that is accurate at all. I have found things i loved before surgery are no longer appealing to me which I thought was so strange. I read about that happening and was convinced it would not happen to me. Low and behold it has. I get really bored eating meat so this post was good for me to. I had gone vegan before surgery and besides meat that is the only animal product or byproduct I consume so knowing I have other options is great, I didn't think I had a lot of Protein options that weren't from an animal or made by an animal. I get sick a lot after eating, just about anything. Nausea usually and that feeling of going to be sick. Unfortunately my doctor says this happens to a lot of people and I have some pills to take and she says I have to push past it cause I'm not getting enough nutrients so I cant be picky right now. Hang in there you will find somethin that works for you.

You didn't mention the preparation of the meats, but that can play a BIG role. Having things moist and in small pieces definitely helps. I find that shredded meats (chicken salad for example) are much easier. You might try cutting it into tiny pieces (mince or dice it) and then using a lot of sauce (BBQ for chicken, A1 for beef, etc) will help. I've been eating a lot of ground meats, which helps (I also use sauce like mustard for these). Solid chicken still doesn't work for me, but I find that low fat hot dogs (45 calories, 6G protein), low fat chicken sausages (80 calories, 13g protein), ground turkey with sour cream (30c, 8g Protein per ounce) will work well. Egg whites are another low calorie high protein choice and are soft, I usually have 1/2 a cup for Breakfast with 1/2 an ounce of low fat mozzarella and sometimes a diced turkey sausage mixed in. Greek Yogurt also works, but has more calories and carbs. Beans and nuts can work too, but can be very dense so need to be mixed with something.

Good luck!

On 26/01/2018 at 1:39 AM, zleng said:

I had my gastric bypass on sept the 5th. I am vegan and I started to have solid food 4 weeks after the surgery. Since then I never missed my Protein goal (60g/day); not a single day.

I really like this idea! Think I'll look into some of the vegan options. X