Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my preop on Tuesday and I have gained 5 lbs from the last time I was in, I wanted to get some last minute bad choices in before I get it done and now I’m paying for it, are they going to give me a hard time about it? Anyone else gain just before too? I get it done a week from now, the 22nd of January. I have t been told to go on a liquid diet yet though, will they most likely put me on one for the last week?

5 hours ago, bigovergrowndork said:

I wanted to get some last minute bad choices in before I get it done and now I’m paying for it

Leaving your "food funerals" very very late.

A price to be paid for that, I'd think.

Take this time to really have a come to Jesus moment with your relationship with food. You can make as many bad choices on the other side. If you want this to be a success then you'll have to put the work in. The pre-op diet will cause you to lose weight. It varies, but I had to do 2 weeks and lost something like 18 pounds. That said your doctor is not stupid. If you go on a liquid diet and sees that you're basically the same weight as you were at your last visit then they'll know something is up. Better to be honest with them if the question comes up.

My doc was hard core. If you gained at all in the last month he would cancel your surgery because it was a sign that you weren't ready. He said that he's gone into surgery, saw that a patient's liver was still large (i.e. they didn't actually do a liquid diet and shrink their liver), and stopped things right then and there. Your doc might just give you a slap on the wrist but understand the pre-op diet is meant to help make your surgery easier.

You're down but not out. Pick yourself up, knock the dust off, and get back on track and STAY on track. You can do it if you really want to. Good luck to you.

My doctor did not require any weight loss pre-surgery and they also did not have any pre-surgery liquid diets except for 24 hrs prior to surgery. So yeah, I had a lot of food funerals...and gained around 5 lbs. I had surgery and thankfully no complications but during my first two weeks or so post-op I was MISERABLE. Not only was I recovering from major surgery and all of the emotion that comes along with WLS, I was also detoxing from sugar, salt, carbs and caffeine :( So I totally understand where you are! But, maybe try and cut back on the bad stuff this last week while you can because even if you don't lose any weight it will make your recovery a little easier.

Although I really didn’t have any “food funerals”, I was worried in The months leading up to surgery that I would no longer qualify for surgery because of a lower BMI. At my very first visit to the weight management center I weighed in at 209 (around May or June 2017). Then, on December 15, 2017 I weighed in at 229! Needless to say the nutritionist was freaking out and told me I immediately needed to start a pre-op liquid diet. I did so grudgingly, knowing that Christmas and New Year’s was going to be very depressing! I. The end, though, on surgery day (January 2, 2018) I weighed in at 209. Today (1/15/18), I weigh 198.6. You shouldn’t have a problem losing 5 pounds I a week if you do a pre-op liquid diet and follow the plan to a “T”. Good luck to you!

If I lose 12 pounds during my three month supervised diet, I won’t have to do the liver shrinking diet, so I am being pretty strict during the week. Then on the weekends, I am allowing myself to have the foods that I would normally have, almost as a reward. It’s working, I’m down 5 pounds in the first 9 days.

I gained 4 pounds at my last diet visit (still 3 pounds down overall at that point). I asked my surgeon to tell me honestly what she thought about my weight. She said she would say 2 things - 1 on the record and 1 off the record.

The off-the-record response was that as an experienced surgeon she did not feel pre-op weight loss was always correlated with success afterward because pre-op we are still struggling and fighting against the hormones and the screaming hunger monkey on our backs along with all the anxiety of making this huge decision to have WLS and saying good-bye to certain foods and that lifestyle forever. The radical changes in hormones and hunger levels after surgery are the tool we use to lose weight combined with willpower - whereas before surgery we ONLY have willpower at our disposal.

The on-the-record response was that she wasn't happy about the weight gain, and I needed to be extremely focused during the remaining pre-op period. She said I was still down overall which is an accomplishment because many patients struggle not to continue gaining. However despite that, she counseled me to strive to lose as much weight as possible because the smaller your belly at surgery the safer it would be.

That was a month ago today and I've lost 13 pounds since then. I think she truly understood how I felt and both answers were what I needed to hear - that yes, it's hard to lose weight pre-op and don't beat yourself up, but also don't get complacent and strive every day to make good choices for yourself and your safety. That mix of answers worked for me!

As far as insurance and whatnot, I was 367 on my consult day and 364 my last diet visit. They submitted the paperwork 12/18 and I was approved 12/22. So, no issue. Take it as a sign you need to be more focused, but don't go crazy with anxiety about it.

The appointment went well, I thought my weight was high but it turns out it was the same, my surgery is still on for Monday the 22 of January and I have no preop clear liquid diet, no cleanse, and no dietary restrictions until then. All I have to do is wash with special soap for 3 days before, no food or Water after midnight on Sunday, and no Vitamins or meds the day before, sweet, thank you everyone for your kindness and wisdom.

Sw- 410

Cw- 385

Gw- 220

Male

Height 6’

I gained 4 pounds at my last diet visit (still 3 pounds down overall at that point). I asked my surgeon to tell me honestly what she thought about my weight. She said she would say 2 things - 1 on the record and 1 off the record.
The off-the-record response was that as an experienced surgeon she did not feel pre-op weight loss was always correlated with success afterward because pre-op we are still struggling and fighting against the hormones and the screaming hunger monkey on our backs along with all the anxiety of making this huge decision to have WLS and saying good-bye to certain foods and that lifestyle forever. The radical changes in hormones and hunger levels after surgery are the tool we use to lose weight combined with willpower - whereas before surgery we ONLY have willpower at our disposal.
The on-the-record response was that she wasn't happy about the weight gain, and I needed to be extremely focused during the remaining pre-op period. She said I was still down overall which is an accomplishment because many patients struggle not to continue gaining. However despite that, she counseled me to strive to lose as much weight as possible because the smaller your belly at surgery the safer it would be.
That was a month ago today and I've lost 13 pounds since then. I think she truly understood how I felt and both answers were what I needed to hear - that yes, it's hard to lose weight pre-op and don't beat yourself up, but also don't get complacent and strive every day to make good choices for yourself and your safety. That mix of answers worked for me!
As far as insurance and whatnot, I was 367 on my consult day and 364 my last diet visit. They submitted the paperwork 12/18 and I was approved 12/22. So, no issue. Take it as a sign you need to be more focused, but don't go crazy with anxiety about it.

Thank you for this post, I am stressing going to my 4 the dietician visit today...I haven't gained this month but haven't lost either [emoji19]

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app