Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, last Monday was the start of my journey. I went to my seminar and I have my consultation on the 23rd. I'm patient but impatient at the same time. I did find out I have to do the 6 month pre-op, I was hoping for less, don't we all. I'm just hoping the 6 months flies by, but I have a feeling it's going to drag. Anyone else have this same feeling? Anything to help kind of settle my nerves maybe?

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was also disheartened to learn that I had to go through a 6 month diet and exercise program to qualify for surgery. But having gone though that process, I can see that it was positive experience. It taught me about food journaling. I tracked everything I ate and learned what to avoid. I also developed a routine of walking each day. I attended bariatric surgery support group meetings and learned from others who were going through he process or what to expect after the operation. I was impatient but good came out of this process.

I was irritated at waiting 6 months as well, but it went fast and I, too found it valuable to examine my relationship with food and to gradually dial down the simple carb consumption, stop drinking diet soda, wean off high caffeine intake, and re-learn to journal. Good luck.

Hi. There were moments for me that felt long and the process was frustrating sometimes (one of the doctor's offices was poorly run, I'll leave it at that). The nutrition education was positive (thought I'd dread it because of weigh-ins) because of what I learned and because my nutritionist was an encouraging presence throughout the process. When impatience strikes, maybe taking a walk, calling an understanding friend or family member, going to a weight loss surgery support group, or writing in a journal/blogging about it will help. I had surgery 12/28 and I couldn't believe it actually was all done. As time ticks by, you'll find yourself closer and closer to the 6 month mark and when you get there it will feel like a real achievement. Surgery can be the trophy.

Hi. There were moments for me that felt long and the process was frustrating sometimes (one of the doctor's offices was poorly run, I'll leave it at that). The nutrition education was positive (thought I'd dread it because of weigh-ins) because of what I learned and because my nutritionist was an encouraging presence throughout the process. When impatience strikes, maybe taking a walk, calling an understanding friend or family member, going to a weight loss surgery support group, or writing in a journal/blogging about it will help. I had surgery 12/28 and I couldn't believe it actually was all done. As time ticks by, you'll find yourself closer and closer to the 6 month mark and when you get there it will feel like a real achievement. Surgery can be the trophy.

Thank you so much, I'm just overwhelmed with the excitement and anticipation of getting the ball rolling. Just the more and more I think about the six months the more worried I got about it feeling like an eternity. I'll look into this journal/blogging idea, sounds like a good thing to do! Especially since walking right now is out of the question thanks to the weather lol

I was irritated at waiting 6 months as well, but it went fast and I, too found it valuable to examine my relationship with food and to gradually dial down the simple carb consumption, stop drinking diet soda, wean off high caffeine intake, and re-learn to journal. Good luck.

Thank you! I'm going to start the journaling thing up again, sound alike the way to go!

1 hour ago, Stephani.Kline said:

Thank you so much, I'm just overwhelmed with the excitement and anticipation of getting the ball rolling. Just the more and more I think about the six months the more worried I got about it feeling like an eternity. I'll look into this journal/blogging idea, sounds like a good thing to do! Especially since walking right now is out of the question thanks to the weather lol

It does feel like an eternity. I didn't think I'd ever get my surgery date. Yeah, you're right about the weather. There is a walking program DVD and Ondemand in some areas by Leslie Sansone. I haven't done it in a long time and it can feel boring at times but it's an option for me. If I remember correctly, there is a one mile walking program and a three mile. I'm rooting for you and hoping your six months goes by quickly.

I'll echo what the others said. The 6 months were well worth it to prep for things on the other side. It's a good time to reflect on how we got here and really take a close look at our relationship with food. The wait is frustrating but I'm glad to have gone through it. Starting out it seems like it's a million miles away but time will go by quicker than you think. Good luck to you!

I also had six months before my surgery and I spent that time reviewing other people's journeys and mentally preparing myself for my own.

I really like some of the YouTube bloggers (Clusie, ShortSleevedT, and others) who put their experience out there in and honest and entertaining way. The six months flew by for me, personally. I was very busy with appt after appt, this doctor, that doctor, nutritionist, support group, etc.

Even after all that, I can say I wasn't 100% ready for the changes I made. Pre-and post-op diets are not easy, and recovery for me was relatively painless but I couldn't believe how tired and weak I was, especially that first week. I don't know why I had this vision of having the surgery and going back to life as normal easy as pie, at a rapid pace lol...

Any time you feel impatient remember "All things in Gods time, not my time." I have to remind myself of that for many things in life! Good luck!!

We're talking about a lifetime change to our anatomy, and a lifetime of lifestyle changes. This is a HUGE, HARD undertaking. Six months isn't that long to prepare.

Use your six months to get drop dead serious about weight loss and fitness. LOSE WEIGHT. If you can't lose weight before surgery....surgery probably won't help you. Behavior changes are critical.

Fat people can be fit, or at least more fit......you can start walking and exercising and get your resting heart rate down to improve your cardiovascular fitness....this will make surgery that much safer for you.

Losing weight will improve your blood sugar....which will help you to heal after surgery regardless of whether or not you're diabetic.

Use this six months to get the junk food out of your house, develop strategies for non-dieting household members to continue their preferred diet, start your Vitamins, get the work done...of adapting to changes you need to make after surgery.

Use this six months to quit nicotine for good. Quit or severely reduce caffeine. Quit carbonated beverages. These are really HARD habits to break...and you don't need to be struggling with them on top of the other challenges you'll be facing when the time comes. Tackle these tasks ahead of time.

Keep in mind that the average sleeve patient loses only 60% or so of their excess weight (bypass patients do a little better). The less you weight on the day of surgery...the closer you are likely to get to your goal weight in the 18 months after surgery.

Research. Research. Research. Research. Do the benefits outweigh the risks in your particular case? Do you understand what your diet will be like after surgery and for the rest of your life? Do you have strategies to deal with the temptations that will still be there after surgery? Have you read dozens of stories of people who have had surgery and succeeded AND dozens of stories of those who have failed? Do you have an idea of what kinds of exercise you want to do? Have you researched possible complications? Do you feel comfortable that you're extremely well informed about what you're getting yourself into? If not...now is the time:)

Use the six months to build a data base of healthy recipes that you actually like and will use the rest of your life.

Become a calorie and Protein counting savant. Learn to journal everything that goes into your mouth.

Learn to recognize food potions. Test yourself with a scale and measuring cups.

There is a TON of work you need to do be well prepared for what you're getting yourself into:)

Use your six months wisely. And very best wishes on a safe and effective procedure:)