Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So doctor’s orders are 64oz fluids and 80 grams of Protein. I make it through mornings ok but day 4 and I can’t even come CLOSE to 64 ounces. I get through a slow 16 all morning and then heartburn sets in.

Anyone else have this issue? Are the numbers that critical the first few days? I don’t want to force it for fear I’ll want to puke, but 30 ounces seems low.

You could get dehydrated and end up in the ER if you don't get your fluids in.

Try this:

Pour four tiny one ounce shot glasses of Fluid every hour.

Drink each of them in ten tiny sips over fifteen minutes. Don't drink more than one ounce every 15 minutes.

If you do this every hour that you are awake...you'll get your 64oz in.

Alternate four ounces of clear fluids for one hour, then four ounces of Protein Drink the next. Thin the Protein drink if you have to. If you get nauseated, switch back to Water.

It's a pain in the arse....but the more you drink, the easier it will get.

Edited by Creekimp13

Part of the struggle is that once you get behind it can be really difficult (or impossible) to get caught up. I had a horrible time getting my fluids in the first week. It's constant work when you're having difficulties. My nurse told me while yes, they want you to get your Protein, when it comes down to it Water is the most important thing at this stage to make sure you don't get dehydrated. Do keep in mind that any Protein Drinks do count towards your daily water intake.

Popsicles can be a help as well as ice slivers/chunks. Just make sure they're small in case you accidentally swallow one. One other thing that I did was kept an old 32oz Powerade bottle around. I'd fill that up with Crystal Light and sip on that. My goal would be to have that bottle empty half way through the day, then fill up and try to get the rest in by the end of the night.

It never hurts to give your doc a call and let them know what's going on and see if they have any advice. If anything at least it makes them aware that you're having some difficulties.

Keeping in touch with your doc is a great idea. If you get behind for too many days....instead of ending up int he ER, they can have you come to the office and run a bag of fluids into you IV to help keep you going until you can drink well.

I just had my surgery 1/10. I am struggling with the gas pain/cramps. I can take the smallest of sips and I feel that gas bubble moving. I've been able to pass gas and burp. I'm walking very well. I did .5 mile walk this morning and about to get out and do another .5 mile. I'm getting the liquids I need but it's just so painful. Luckily no nausea or vomiting. Just a lot of discomfort with the gas. I also have a sharp pain in my shoulder from the gas. I've been using a hot compress which helps alleviate the pain. I know this is all pretty normal, but it sucks. lol Anyone else have the constant gas issues? And if so, how long did it last?

I just had my surgery 1/10. I am struggling with the gas pain/cramps. I can take the smallest of sips and I feel that gas bubble moving. I've been able to pass gas and burp. I'm walking very well. I did .5 mile walk this morning and about to get out and do another .5 mile. I'm getting the liquids I need but it's just so painful. Luckily no nausea or vomiting. Just a lot of discomfort with the gas. I also have a sharp pain in my shoulder from the gas. I've been using a hot compress which helps alleviate the pain. I know this is all pretty normal, but it sucks. lol Anyone else have the constant gas issues? And if so, how long did it last?

I just had mines on the 10th too! I'm very uncomfortable with wound pain and with anything going down today I get the chest pain and the bubble pain that turns into a fart lol then I get nausea I think for over doing it trying to get these Fluid in, I feel like these next two weeks are going to really suck since my sleeve is real tight right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had mines on the 10th too! I'm very uncomfortable with wound pain and with anything going down today I get the chest pain and the bubble pain that turns into a fart lol then I get nausea I think for over doing it trying to get these Fluid in, I feel like these next two weeks are going to really suck since my sleeve is real tight right now.

I don’t want to sound mean, but it is refreshing to hear someone else is having the same pain as me. Like I’m not dealing with it alone. Let’s cross our fingers and hope it gets better sooner then later!!!

That's why I got happy when I saw your post, because we have the same date and u sound miserable like me lol. Those sharp chest pains are no joke though, the smallest sip hurt for me. Here's my email and my IG to keep each other updated! Katb760@gmail.com and IG kat__me0w spelled with a zero [emoji4]

I am having these same issues with drinking. I am a Day after ya’ll though, 1/11. Home already but only got in 20oz today, I did have IV fluids this morning in the hospital before I was released. Hoping drinking will be easier tomorrow. Please keep posting how it goes for you, it helps to know that others are going through the same so I don’t panic.

I am having these same issues with drinking. I am a Day after ya’ll though, 1/11. Home already but only got in 20oz today, I did have IV fluids this morning in the hospital before I was released. Hoping drinking will be easier tomorrow. Please keep posting how it goes for you, it helps to know that others are going through the same so I don’t panic.

i went home on the 11th I got only about maybe 60ml in today that's hardly Nothin! Its so hard to get these fluids in, would be easier if it didn't hurts so much. U can also take my info too to stay in touch! I just keep wondering how long will it last like this?!

Stupid question, what is IG? I have been able to drink close to my amount I need to, but it’s no picnic. Hurts so much. I was only put on a liquid diet a day before surgery. I’m wondering if I need to have a “movement”. I keep trying, but I got nothing happening!

Its Instagram, I take it as you don't have one lol. But I think because we are filled with gas and we just need to pass it. During surgery they blow up our stomachs with air so now we have trapped gas everywhere, I haven't had a movement yet, I don't even feel it coming any time time plus I'm scared it will hurt my scars. Any extra discomfort could be coming from not you not having that 2 week diet. I feel a little better than yesterday with the fluids so that's all I'm concentrating on today and taking my meds.

I do have Instagram lol I just never heard it referred to as IG. My IG is Crazzychk. I actually had my first “movement” today. It has given me some relief. Small miracles!!!!

Having same trouble with cramping pains when i drink. I have been walking a lot to relieve the pains but I am hoping it will end soon! I am noticing warmer fluids like broth tend to not hurt as much. Last night it was so bad though I had to take the pain medication. I had surgery on the 10th so I am only a few days out. I do have to say each day is getting a little better. The first day was SO BAD!

Having same trouble with cramping pains when i drink. I have been walking a lot to relieve the pains but I am hoping it will end soon! I am noticing warmer fluids like broth tend to not hurt as much. Last night it was so bad though I had to take the pain medication. I had surgery on the 10th so I am only a few days out. I do have to say each day is getting a little better. The first day was SO BAD!

Its Instagram, I take it as you don't have one lol. But I think because we are filled with gas and we just need to pass it. During surgery they blow up our stomachs with air so now we have trapped gas everywhere, I haven't had a movement yet, I don't even feel it coming any time time plus I'm scared it will hurt my scars. Any extra discomfort could be coming from not you not having that 2 week diet. I feel a little better than yesterday with the fluids so that's all I'm concentrating on today and taking my meds.

Mines was on the 10th too, they had me soooo medicated I was in little pain, but the big pain will randomly come as a surprise and omg did it hurt! Lol I do a agree warmer things go down easier but the pain still comes when its going down, I actually​ thought today was gonna be a more easy day but I'm starting to feel different about it now, and my mouth keeps salivating ad making foam and if I swollen​ it will hurt, so I keep spitting every 4 mins this is getting very annoying!