Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

General questions about recovery

My doctor is Dr. Valenzuela (Mexico Bariatric). Has anyone heard of her and if so, what was your experience?

1. My surgery is scheduled for the 21st and I'm staying in Mexico until the 26th and will return to work on the 2nd. I have an active job and spend a lot of time on my feet. I'm particularly concerned because I have an event on the 4th January which will keep me on my feet all day and that will be very taxing. I thought I'd be recovered by then but am hearing stories about people who needed to take it easy for 3 weeks. How will I feel two weeks after surgery? Will I be able to handle a big day like that?
  2. How soon can one do weight training? I know we are supposed to walk a lot after surgery but how long does it take before we can lift weights. I prefer weight training to cardio.
  3. How bad is the scarring? I'm having multiple incisions. I would have preferred one but for some reason, they don't do it. How noticeable is the scarring after a while?
  4. One of the reasons I'm overweight is that I eat at night. I have never had a problem with hunger during the day but suffer NED (Night Eating Disorder) and I get hungry just before I go to bed and even get up at night to eat. I was told that this would be resolved because I would no longer be hungry but want to know if there are others out there who have experience with this.
  5. Another of my issues is that I genuinely hate drinking fluids. I don't drink sodas or unhealthy drinks but also don't drink Water. I love coffee and tea. How did you get yourself to drink more Water after the op?

Hope I'm making the right decision. I've already paid so it's too late for regrets now.

Edited by Insidefull
typo

Oye...

Ok. I'll take a crack at your questions.

1. Will you be recovered in time to go to work in a week, do a big day, etc? Every body is different. But consider this. For the first couple of days after surgery, you don't get any calories...just Clear Liquids. Eventually, you get to alternate clear liquids with 4oz of Protein Shake. If you do that every hour all day....you end up with about 400 calories for the day. You do this for a week. Have you ever been on a starvation diet for a week before? How did you feel?

People's recoveries vary. I, personally, had a very easy time with surgery. The lady next to me vomited from the moment she woke up and couldn't stop. She ended up staying extra days in the hospital to get it under control. At one week out, I feel pretty terrific. I've been shopping, cleaning the house, wrapping presents, visiting friends. Another lady I know has been back to her doctor's twice for IV fluids because the inflammation in her tummy is too tight for her to get enough fluids in by mouth. She's still having a rough time, but she's making progress. There are no guarantees how your body will react. One thing to be aware of is how foggy you can feel when you're eating so few calories.....it can effect your memory, your decision making....you might not be as sharp and ready to take on problems as you usually would be.

2. How soon can you do weight training. I have no idea. But I was given a lift limit of 10 pounds when I left the hospital. So for at least the first week...weights are out. Walking is your best friend, and you're going to want to do a lot of it to work out the uncomfortable gas after surgery if you're having it done laparoscopically.

3. The multiple little scars from a laparoscopic surgery are MUCH preferable to a giant incision in an open procedure. The scars will fade in a year or so and should blend in with stretch marks if you have any...they're no biggie.

4. I'm a night time eater, too. Whoever told you you wouldn't be hungry anymore....meh...maybe that's their experience, but it's hardly universal. I'm hungry as hell. But the cool thing is that half a cup of sugar free oatmeal feels like i've eaten a whole pizza now. Easy to get full and feel content.

5. You don't have to drink plain Water. You can drink decaffeinated coffee and tea all you want and it counts as water. Plain water is really good for you and you should try to drink it more...but don't stress if you can't manage it. flavored water works just fine. So does broth and Jello.

PS....even if you've already paid, you can still back out. This is a life changing serious commitment. You are changing your anatomy forever. Make sure you are fully committed.

I thought that I would stay home for a week after surgery and go to work. I was wrong. I was exhausted for my first two weeks and needed to drink my fluids, walk and sleep. After week two I was ready to go back to work. As for fluids, if you like tea drink as much herbal tea as you want it counts toward your Fluid intake. My doctor told me to lay off coffee the first few months. Good luck.

WELL...I must be the big difference with others!! I never ever had a problem with eating at night, I never got up out of bed to eat!! Until I had my WLS. Before I say much more I have been very successful with my loss and maintenance. Now, I did have an aversion to food for a long time. Due to having problems with strictures (scar tissue) which made it hard to keep anything down. So my eating at night I think was helping me cope. I have worked very hard not to get up and eat. I am mostly ok but sometimes I just can't stop. If I have a hard time falling to sleep or wake up I still have my nights that I eat. But I am so much better about it now. And as far as being hungry, still to this day, I have no physical hunger. Now MIND HUNGER oh yes. This something that many of us get and find hard to fight it. So, some have no hunger and some still have hunger. The trick to learn is deciding which one you are having. Good Luck and keep us posted. I look forward to following your journey!!