Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all!

I have RNY scheduled for December 18th. I'm currently on no birth control or anything. Obviously, as we all know, it's not recommended to get pregnant for ATLEAST 12-18 months after surgery.. with that being said, who got on birth control after surgery? My period is currently extremely irregular, I don't ovulate, so the 5 years me and my husband have been having sex, we've never used any form of pregnancy prevention (not even pull-out method) and I've never got pregnant. After surgery, I'm sure losing the weight will change my menstrual cycle and possibly even start ovulation. So, my question is, which birth control? I'm scared to get on birth control because the few times I have got on it, I've gained weight. The last time I was put on it, I was on it for 2 months and gained 15 lbs. So that's definitely not what I want seeing as I'm having surgery. So is birth control a good option? Or just use condoms and pull-out method and be extra careful? ( I want a baby ASAP but don't want a dangerous pregnancy so trying to wait as long as the surgeon suggests)

Edited by Jenna1896

My doc said I can't do any birth control with hormones (which I had been taking for PCOS), so either an IUD with no hormones or simply use condoms. I've never liked the idea of having an IUD in, so we're gonna opt for condoms at least at first. DEFINITELY don't roll the dice with just pulling out! I was surprised when I got my period on my own without the birth control pills, so I think the body shift will be fairly swift.

Hey y'all!
I have RNY scheduled for December 18th. I'm currently on no birth control or anything. Obviously, as we all know, it's not recommended to get pregnant for ATLEAST 12-18 months after surgery.. with that being said, who got on birth control after surgery? My period is currently extremely irregular, I don't ovulate, so the 5 years me and my husband have been having sex, we've never used any form of pregnancy prevention (not even pull-out method) and I've never got pregnant. After surgery, I'm sure losing the weight will change my menstrual cycle and possibly even start ovulation. So, my question is, which birth control? I'm scared to get on birth control because the few times I have got on it, I've gained weight. The last time I was put on it, I was on it for 2 months and gained 15 lbs. So that's definitely not what I want seeing as I'm having surgery. So is birth control a good option? Or just use condoms and pull-out method and be extra careful? ( I want a baby ASAP but don't want a dangerous pregnancy so trying to wait as long as the surgeon suggests)

The pull out method is not a reliable form of contraception anyway. I know many do it and feel successful till they try it with a new partner and find themselves pregnant lol though I thought it's just teenagers who do the pull out method. Hehe.

Good idea to get on contraception now as losing weight you .. you end up looking at a guy and being pregnant lol. Happened to me when I lost weight fast on another diet.

Depo injection works for me.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I got to the end .... Your considering the 'pull out method' hmm okay well good luck. I'd say that method is for those who don't mind if a little swimmer sneaks in lol not for someone serious about not getting pregnant.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I definitely don't recommend the pull out method :blink: I would recommend going to see a obgyn so you can get your periods regulated, I use to be the same way and when the periods finally kicked back in...they were really heavy and messy...and I am severely anemic because of it. My blood count was that of a 9 year old my doc said. Sooo, I wouldnt wait I would get a hold of it now.

Edited by GoddessMoon