Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share your post op diet sheets please

Hi it's me again! In Taiwan and prepping for surgery in February.

Worried that the advice I'll get for post surgery will consist of well, Taiwanese food which I hate.

I want to get well stocked up on appropriate things to eat (both for liquid and purée phases) and would very much appreciate seeing examples of what western surgeons recommend.

Thank you a bunch!

For the liquid stage, I stuck to Optifast (or slimfast or whatever you can get your hands on) and Protein Shakes.

For the puree stage, you will want really high Protein Soups (like meaty soups and lentils and stuff like that). I made a Soup out of chicken breast, potato and leek and blended it till it was very liquidy and froze a million tiny portions. Never ever have like a plain vegetable soup (like pumpkin or Tomato soup). It's a waste of the limited space you have in your pouch. You have to stick meat and Beans or something in there.

I also basically took one of those hand held blenders and would puree a tiny portion of casseroles, beef chilli, bolognese (without the pasta) and whatever my family was having as long as it had protein. There's also runny scrambled eggs and fat free puddings, cottage cheese/ricotta cheese things (google VSG recipes for the pureed stage). You can also have milk, yoghurt and smoothies. Plus, if you can still stomach them, carry on with optifast shakes (at least once a day). Otherwise, use the opportunity to start making your own protein shakes which taste much better (throw a frozen banana, some chocolate Protein Powder and honey with skim/almond milk in a blender and see if you like it).

Some people will eat mash potato and things like that, but remember they will do nothing for you nutritionally. I found the puree stage the most unpleasant. Puree most foods and they look pretty disgusting. However, the puree food stage goes by pretty quickly. You will survive it. The truth is that I wasn't that interested in food anyway, so it was just a matter of trying to get some protein before I felt totally full.

Other than protein, protein, PROTEIN (you get the idea), make sure you are drinking Water constantly.

Best of luck JuniperBug. If you want more information than your team gives you, then you should order a book (written by doctors and nutritionists). I had weight loss surgery for dummies and that was pretty helpful. There is a lot advice on the internet, on forums and youtube etc but remember that people can tolerate different things and different doctors have different plans, so generally you should stick with your doctors advice.

For the liquid stage I had broth. Soups with meat pureed and then thinned with extra stock. Yoghurt thin scrambled egg. Pureed fruit. Then moved to puree. Still had pureed Soup like chicken and corn, lamb and barley beef things like that. I poached white fish and made a white sauce and pureed pureed vege on the side. Roast meats chicken lamb beef pureed with low carb gravy. Poached egg. tuna or salmon mashed sardines in sauce mashed on cruskits. (cruskits dissolve) cottage cheese hummus yoghurt. I drink Protein Water instead of plain that usually adds around 30-40 gas per day.

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app