Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning to have my gastric sleeve on the 13th of November (today is Oct. 26th). I wanted to find out exactly how fast the weight will come off. I have heard a lot of mixed answers so I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. My weight is 260 and I am 5ft exactly. Any thoughts?

That's a tough question to answer. Most people lose 20 - 30 lbs in the first month, but it varies depending on your starting weight, your body comp, etc. Also, everyone's body adjusts differently to the surgery. After the first month, I believe people tend to lose around 10 pounds a month for the next 5 months and then it slowly tapers off. It's all dependent on your body and how you work the program, though. That's why you see so much variation!

There is really no way to predict and it's important that you are managing your expectations appropriately.

Some posters here have theorized that your pre-op weight loss will be predictive of your post-op weight loss.

There are also other factors - starting BMI, age, gender, height, genetics, etc.

For myself, in the past I had been able to successfully lose weight many times and at a fairly quick pace, but was unsuccessful at managing my diet for the length of time required given how much weight I needed to lose.

Here's what happened for me:

10 day pre-op diet - 16 lbs lost

1st Month - 29 lbs lost

2nd Month - 12.6 lbs lost

3rd Month - 10.4 lbs lost

4th Month - 12.8 lbs lost

5th Month - 13.4 lbs lost

I have lost 55% of my excess weight. The AVERAGE weight loss for gastric sleeve is 60% - but that's an average with what is actually happening on both sides of the bell curve.

There will be some factors beyond your control - age, height, gender and genetics.

There will be some factors completely in your control - diet adherence, portion control/calorie management, exercise/activity, etc.

Good luck and best wishes!

Best guess:

Plan on losing 10-15 pounds the first month, and 6-8 pounds a month after that.. and the scale will pretty much stop at 160-180lbs. (Once it stops you'll have to work extra hard for additional losses).

If you lose faster, it's gravy, but keep expectations low so you aren't disappointed.

I am planning to have my gastric sleeve on the 13th of November (today is Oct. 26th). I wanted to find out exactly how fast the weight will come off. I have heard a lot of mixed answers so I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. My weight is 260 and I am 5ft exactly. Any thoughts?

You want to find out EXACTLY?

You know no one can answer that. You've gotten some good estimates but it's impossible to predict and what you do (eat, exercise, drink, etc) plays a role too.