Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your first CHRISTMAS after WLS like?

I am just curious , as it will be my first christmas post weightloss surgery I will be about 5 months post, I am wondering what it will be like?

Right now I am not interested in food much but every now and again I miss being able to over indulge lol. Luckily I am allowed to drink alcohol on my plan so that will not be so bad haha. ( I am not even into it when I used to love it lol)

I am worried to people gain weight over christmas lol ?

What was your portion sizes like, would love to see christmas food portions lol

THAT is a great question! Lets throw in Thanksgiving (in USA) as well. How did it go? Did people pressure you? Did you cook? Did family support your weight loss? Etc...

1 hour ago, Sherry Rice said:

THAT is a great question! Lets throw in Thanksgiving (in USA) as well. How did it go? Did people pressure you? Did you cook? Did family support your weight loss? Etc...

Great questions, I am lucky I have never COOKED christmas dinner, ( lucky no thanks giving in UK) I am not the chef in my family lol, and no one will pressure me, so I am lucky! I just imagine not being interested in food then christmas day, just one biting all day literally one bite here one bite there as you cant fit in much in one go lol I am not a sweet food kind of person but i love appetisers.

I'm going to be having surgery November 17th and cooking thanksgiving dinner a week later i really how i can do get through it

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

That would be tough! I would pre-prep as much of your menu as humanly possible. I would also ensure I ate prior to any prepping and cooking. Lastly, I would eat! 3 oz. of turkey, a couple ounces of vegetables and a tiny bit of dressing. As far as dessert, have a bite or two of pumpkin pie (no crust). I will be making healthier versions of Thanksgiving dinner and plan to enjoy it with my family. [emoji4][emoji173]️[emoji106]

My first Christmas I was only four weeks out and stuck to my plan like glue. My second I was at goal and testing my boundaries and....GAINED 12 pounds! I got back on the plan and dropped them but can definitely happen.... sliders and all!

Thanksgiving last year was the first day I could eat pureed foods...that kind of SUUUCCKEEED. By Christmas (which was a little over a month out) I could eat normally enough that I went out for dim sum with a friend, though I basically just ate the insides of all the dumplings.

Your portion sizes will still be small. You can have treats, I'd say, as long as you can be mindful of how much you're eating, and definitely start with the Protein, whether it's turkey or goose, or ham, or whatever it may be!

I will be just starting normal food at Christmas so it’s going to be just a little pick at things here and there I think. It’s easier in Australia as we just have picnic style and there are heaps of healthy salads and stuff. Nobody would really notice if you didn’t eat desert. Not that I’m bothered anyway ... I’ll just be like I’m fine it’s the sleeve, don’t ya worry bout me!!! [emoji23]

I had my surgery 5 days after Christmas so I actually started my pre-surgery liquid diet on Christmas. It was hard for sure because I had to remind myself not to cheat, even though technically I could. Because it was Christmas my NUT/Surgeon did allow me to eat a sensible dinner that day so I had my shakes from Breakfast and lunch and then had turkey and veggies for dinner.

I'm currently 10-15 pounds from goal depending on where I want to end up so I'm hoping I will be at goal or close to it by Christmas. I just have to stick to my 3 meals and a snack and not allow myself to graze all day because that's a big issue for me. Meal portions are small still but my sister and Mom eat like birds anyway so I will just be in their camp this year instead of the clear all my food and have seconds.

I'm going to be having surgery November 17th and cooking thanksgiving dinner a week later i really how i can do get through it

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

One thing, pumpkin pie filling! (No crust) You maybe add a little milk and blend? That is going to be so hard for me!

SW:350
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:256
GW:175

One thing, pumpkin pie filling! (No crust) You maybe add a little milk and blend? That is going to be so hard for me!

SW:350
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:256
GW:175

I'd really recommend NOT doing that. It's all things you don't need at a stage it will be hard enough to fit it what you DO need. I had the same issues first Christmas and just have this to say.... there will always be more holidays, more chances to eat those foods. This reset happens ONCE. Make the most of it.

I'd really recommend NOT doing that. It's all things you don't need at a stage it will be hard enough to fit it what you DO need. I had the same issues first Christmas and just have this to say.... there will always be more holidays, more chances to eat those foods. This reset happens ONCE. Make the most of it.

That was a great point and sound advice. I haven't even thought about Thanksgiving or Christmas &NYE. I plan to use the VSG tool to its fullest benefit. Im going to somewhat "skip" the holidays this year.

51 year old woman
VSG DATE: 10/28/17
5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 249
SW: ---
GOAL: 135