Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric sleeve in April 2014. I lost 60 pounds and still wanted to loose about 20 more. No complications or issues with surgery or recovery. After a year and a half of weight loss my family had a sudden and stressful move. I had to move to a small town and leave the fitness classes that I loved. I had to leave a job I love and suddenly be looking for work. Our small town is 45 minutes from a grocery store so even healthy meals and shopping became a challenge. In the past year and a half I have regained 40 pounds. I have tried doing paleo and primal to get the weight off but have a hard time sticking to it. I have tried just tracking my food intake but get frustrated feeling like it take so much time. I still feel restriction and can't eat as much in one sitting, but I am eating way too often and too much sugar and processed foods and much higher amount than post surgery. I knew people who gained weight after surgery and I always said that wouldn't be me, if I got the chance to loose that weight I would ever gain it back. Now I Now here I m feeling totally defeated and disappointed in myself and lack of motivation or belief in myself. Loosing weight is hard enough but loosing weight that you already lost and looking at post op photos upset me me to the point of depression rather than motivation.

I am looking for any advice or tips from this group. Have any of you come back from a huge gain after surgery? I've thought about giving paleo another try or possibly back to a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch with a healthy dinner and Snacks. Should I track everything or just work on eating healthy foods? AM exercise tips at home. I'm open to everything right now.

Since grocery shopping is a chore, you are actually in a BETTER position to stick to a diet. Plan out a week's meals, buy the groceries, leaving all the off-limit foods behind.

If you have kids, tell them sugar is a treat, and doesn't need to be in the house every day.

Drink meals, don't drink meals.. do what works for you. I prefer to eat my calories, since it means more food/chewing time.

Congratulations on facing your gain and recognizing what's going on to contribute to it. While I haven't gained post surgey, I have lost 80lbs and regained it twice prior to having surgery. You already know what you need to do. Keep it simple. Eat three meals -protein first, two Snacks and get moving. This new chapter of your story is going to inspire so many! You've got this!

SW:269
CW:170
GW:154
Sleeved 9/26/2016

Try eating Protein only ever 2 hours. 4 ounces of dense protein, something you have to cut with a knife. Steak, chicken breast, pork chops, etc. Nothing ground, no deli meat. Something really dense that will sit in your sleeve. If you have a schedule and you know you are going to eat in 2 hours it is easier to resist temptation. Eating dense protein should sit in your stomach for a while so by the time you are feeling full, it is time to eat again.

liquids are just probably going to make you feel deprived and they don't trigger restriction. I mean if I drink a Protein Shake, I'm basically still hungry, it is no different than drinking Water at this point.

There is a regain forum also with other people having regain issues.

34 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Try eating Protein only ever 2 hours. 4 ounces of dense Protein, something you have to cut with a knife. Steak, chicken breast, pork chops, etc. Nothing ground, no deli meat. Something really dense that will sit in your sleeve. If you have a schedule and you know you are going to eat in 2 hours it is easier to resist temptation. Eating dense protein should sit in your stomach for a while so by the time you are feeling full, it is time to eat again.

liquids are just probably going to make you feel deprived and they don't trigger restriction. I mean if I drink a Protein Shake, I'm basically still hungry, it is no different than drinking Water at this point.

There is a regain forum also with other people having regain issues.

I agree. Sometimes, when I really need to focus on protein, I'll cut up a chicken breast and have it as my 2 hour Snacks. I can't get in 4 ounces, but throughout the day, I can do it. If I'm a little hungry in between, I'll drink Water and that takes care of the issue. Sometimes, hunger is simply the body asking for a liquid.

I agree with melunruh you know what you need to do! Take this new move and new job and make it a whole new process! I had the lap band 8 years ago and had lost 80 lbs. I was down to 202. My job and location changed and I didnt have those people in my life that knew my journey so I wasn't getting the encouragement I was before. I started gaining weight and now I'm back to 252 and going to have the band removed and get the sleeve. The modivation has to come from you. Do you want to be healthy and feel good? Plan your meals, and track it. I use the fat secret app. It is easy and quick to track. My plan is 2 Protein Shakes and a chewy meal, but you do you girl!! You got this!

First off, you are already ahead of the game!! You know what it takes to be successful!! Go back tothe basic's. If you can drink your Protein it will give you a jump start in the amount you are supposed to have everyday!! You know exactly what it takes. Because you already did it once!! So pull up your big girl pants and kick some weight loss in the butt!! One other thing: KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!! Never give up!!

I regained a year and a half out because I got pregnant. I have been unable to get back to pre-pregnancy weight and that wasn't even near my goal weight yet! So I understand your frustration.

I definitely recommend going back to Protein Shakes. It has helped me tremendously. You don't necessarily have to do it long term, but if you find that you're binging on sweets, a chocolate shake (even half of a shake) might nip that craving and help you get through the hardest part of restarting a diet.

I suggest that you get back to basics. Get your calories down around 1200-1300 per day; get your carbs below 20 grams per day; get your Protein around 80-100 grams per day. Eat dense protein every 2-3 hours, and little else.

That should get you on your way.

Good luck!

Thanks for tips guys. Sometimes I feel like I have to track with My FItness Pal then I read nutritionists talking about don't count calories just eat high quality food and it's hard to choose which path will be the most successful. I also go in between Protein Shakes or just food. I guess I can just try each idea for a week and see how it goes.