Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working through missing "volume"

I'm almost two months out from my surgery and doing well. I'm still working through the head games regarding my relationship to food. Overall, I'm doing ok in that realm.

Lately, I've realized that I miss eating in volume, especially when what I'm eating is a favorite of mine or just simply tastes good. For example, I love Mexican food. My wife and I were having lunch at a local restaurant and what I was having tasted really good. I got about a third of the way through my food and so badly wanted to eat more but I could already feel that I'd had more than I should have. It was such a struggle to push the food away and out of my reach do that I wouldn't continue to have another bite here and there.

I'm happy that I've been able to realize this without finding myself falling off into the deep end. Anyone got any tips on how to better deal with this?

VSG: 03/30/2017 - Dr. Kuri - 446/413/377

Hi! I haven't logged on here in quite a while but I did and had to reply to you. I totally get you and understand you. I feel exactly the same way but honestly I'm more worried about gaining or stretching my pouch then what I miss in my favorite foods in terms of volume. So, being that I had no will power prior to Rny, I know myself and my love of food so what I do religiously is section off what I will eat in smaller plate, weigh exactly five ounces of it, eat slowly and enjoy every morsel. I ace no choice. I have to serve myself off of the normal people's plate and I always ask for a small plate to use. This way I am eat and enjoy it without the worry, anxiety or guilt which usually ends up in me eating way more. Lol I have a scale to home and just bought myself a mini portable scale that I take with me. Don't see food as something you mourn and miss. Rather, make great yummy healthy choices that will taste good to you. Also, cook and make meals that are Bari friendly and yummy. Come to my fb page @bariatric Besties we share great flavorful recipes, love and support. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Paul Bahr said:

I'm almost two months out from my surgery and doing well. I'm still working through the head games regarding my relationship to food. Overall, I'm doing ok in that realm.

Lately, I've realized that I miss eating in volume, especially when what I'm eating is a favorite of mine or just simply tastes good. For example, I love Mexican food. My wife and I were having lunch at a local restaurant and what I was having tasted really good. I got about a third of the way through my food and so badly wanted to eat more but I could already feel that I'd had more than I should have. It was such a struggle to push the food away and out of my reach do that I wouldn't continue to have another bite here and there.

I'm happy that I've been able to realize this without finding myself falling off into the deep end. Anyone got any tips on how to better deal with this?

I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. There are times I see co workers eating a big ol hamburger and fries and wash it down with a soda and I'm like drooling. But when I put my pants on and they are about falling off because I've lost weight it makes it not so bad.

and I've learned that when I'm hungry and eat my "sensible Protein food" I then feel satiated and no longer crave that junk. Overall it's a good feeling, but I get the jealousy once in awhile. Yes all head games. That's why we are here sharing our stories, getting support from others going through the same thing.

I bring a tupperware box to the restaurant and pack at least half of the portion away before I start eating. That way I have food for the next meal and I also dont have a plate full of food in front of me when I am finished eating.

Over eat once be in pain for hours, and you will not want to do it again. You are not healed enough to feel the real pain of over eating, wait till about 6 months when all your nerves are reconnected.

Going out to eat and depending on your restriction to tell you when to stop is a terrible habit to start. If you can eat 1/3 a portion at 2 months, you will be eating it all by 6 or 9 months. Your sleeve won't stop you.

I volume eat green veggies only. Baby spinach, salad greens, cucumbers. Huge amounts of those are low calorie.

I avoided restaurants for a long time outside of social situations because I did not want to be tempted to get my monies worth.

I like the suggestion of taking a container with you and dividing the food right away. Portion Control was a problem for me in the past so I need to be prepared for this also. Restaurants portion sizes are so out of control I feel like even people who haven't had WLS should be doing this.

I am 3 months post op. I do understand what you are feeling. A few times, I have eaten past the point of where I should have and I have about 20 minutes of Great discomfort. It is that love of favorites and the in-the-head thought of wanting more of the yummy taste.
At home is easier than going out because I can plate the amount I need to have on a small plate and put the rest aside for another meal. I leave the kitchen to eat and don't come back for more.
When ordering.....couple things I have been doing that seems to work for me. If I order a full portion, I ask for a box immediately when my meal comes, put the portion I know I shouldn't have into the box, and put it on an empty chair at the table- out of sight, then eat my correct portion SLOWLY, putting down the fork after every bite. Other ordering tips: I get a Protein from the appetizer menu only, sometimes get a veggie from the sides menu. Also, my husband is so helpful with this one, if he orders something I can eat, we only order his one meal and I have about 1/4 or 1/3 of his main dish and he feels he really doesn't need to eat the whole portion anyway.
I also have tried to change my mind about what "eating out" is all about. I try to concentrate NOT on the food, but all the other reasons I'm there, who I'm with, the ambience, the conversation, the not cooking and no dishes, my good health and good decision, my ability to be out and about! Etc.....
All of these tips have helped me, and we do go out often! It's actually the NOT drinking liquid that is a challenge for me! I do miss wine and I always used to drink lots of Water AT the meal.

I'm 8 months post op, and I still kinda miss volume but not nearly as much as before. I realize now that the volume I was missing was just a bad habit that was unnecessary and led to over eating. It felt really good at the the time but always led to regret. I now appreciate the restriction. On rare occasions I do miss that big ol whopping burger, but that feeling passes quickly!

I understand where you are coming from but I've found over time I've missed volume less and less. I enjoy going out to eat now and not being the only one of my girlfriends to clear their plate. I enjoy being able to order a half order of something and be sated. I've realized that eating more normally is starting to feel normal.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:37 PM, Paul Bahr said:

I'm still working through the head games regarding my relationship to food. Overall, I'm doing ok in that realm.

<snip>

Anyone got any tips on how to better deal with this?

Really sorry I missed this thread when it was newly posted as it is something that think about even still. The good news is that this desire to eat larger volume is something that can fade if we devote some time to honest inflection.

Being a guy, people always assume you want the bigger portion of anything. The bigger drink, the larger cut of meat, the huge slice of dessert. Being a big guy amplifies this assumption. "We got a big guy! Give him a double helping!" or "You ready for seconds?" With family, it was always "I made your favorite!" and they would take great satisfaction in us over indulging because it was just so good.

Now it has become something expected of us, so we do it every time. That forms the habit. We don't want to hurt their feelings or anything, so we eat huge quantities for so long we no longer recognize what is a normal portion. Add to the fact growing up poor (talking about me here) meant you ate every chance you could because you aren't sure when the next good meal was going to happen. I became good at overeating! Now it was something I was good at, so I did it all the time.

Now that I am living comfortably and have learned about proper nutrition and portioning, when I go to a restaurant or holiday cookout, I look at the food and decide on what I want to eat for the next couple days. Then I don't feel bad about not eating all of it. At the family gatherings it works out very well. The hosts always want all the food gone it seems. Making a to-go plate is another way of fitting in with the rest of the gluttony happening when the dinner bell is rung! Doing this kind of planning and repetitive activity of packing to-go containers will eventually become the new habit.