Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux problems after going off meds

I'm 9 weeks post op RNY today. Last week, as per my program, I stopped Nexium 40mg (Acid Reflux meds). First day off was fine, did feel some tightening when I eat, but other than that, okay. Second day off, I managed to get Breakfast down, but 2 bites of lunch, and the tightening in my chest got so bad, that I just had to drink something to get it up. It came up with a lot of slime. I first thought I hadn't drunk enough before eating, so it eas an attack of the foamies. The following day I made sure i drank enough, breakfast was fine, but lunch again came back up.

I called my surgeon. I have had no problems with food what so ever up until this point. I have been on solids since day 4, as per my program, and everything has been fine. He put me back on Nexium 40 mg for 2 weeks, and then 20mg for 1-2 weeks before trying to go off them again. If I still have problems, I have to head into the hospital for them to take a look at me.

I'm back on Nexium, and no problem. Food goes down as before, except I'm more cautious, I don't want it to happen again. I eat very slow, and chew very very well.

Some extra information.

I have always thought that I have been hungry about half an hour after eating. I have made sure to drink a lot, and just power through it until the next meal. Same thing after that. Thinking back, it hasn't been hungry like I used to feel hungry, more like a very light burning sensation. Could it be acid reflux despite being on meds?

Can I risk having to stay on Nexium for a long time, maybe even forever? Can it already have done some damage?

Anyone else experienced this?

I didn't really have acid reflux problems before. Maybe once every 6 months.

I'm 4 months out and still on my Nexium. But I had horrible reflux before surgery so I'm not even trying to go off it yet. My doctors have said we will evaluate it around 1 year out. Just go with what your dr's say and hopefully everything will be ok. Good luck!

@Sadiebug only thing I'm worried about is the long term side effects like brittle bone. I guess 3-4 months is not really that long. Thanks.

It is common to stay on acid reducers for 6 months. The long term concerns are for years, decades even.

It's just a bit unusual to have acid problems after RNY.. usually that is a fix for acid.. but I do think it just takes more time.

@Berry78 yeah, I have seen people who are on it for 6 months. My program is 8 weeks. If the next 3-4 weeks doesn't help, my surgeon wants to see me.

I found it very unusual as well, and good to know it's for really long term.

BTW, we have the exact same surgery date

Great post. I have the same exact problem and I had it prior to my surgery as well. Back in 2014 I was diagnosed with Achalasia which means my espahagus is nothing more than a dead tube. Because of this condition I had horrible heartburn but didn't know it because I couldn't feel it. I developed a hernia and my (bariatric) surgeon repaired the hernia and cut my lower esophagus sphincter to allow food to simply drop from my "dead tube" into my stomach. But.... without the reflux medicine I would get the foamies and I would have food kinda get stuck and have to bring it back up often. And when I'd bring it up it felt like a mucus ball.. I know it's gross but it's annoying too.

So now, after a second hernia repair and bariatric surgery last month I am noticing that that problem is still here if I stop taking the reflux medicine. Which if I understood things correctly I thought the full surgery would eliminate my need to take the medicine and suffer any gerd.

I'm sorry you're having this issue but I'm kinda relieved I'm not crazy.

I'm the same my surgeon was shocked at my 6 month follow up to find out I was still taking. Told him the reflux was still bad and he said to gradually wean myself off by stretching out the days I have it so start off every second day then stretch to 3 days etc. It was killing me the reflux was so bad. I tried looking up natural remedies and came across kefir. It is a probiotic. I got some kefir grains and starting making my own with milk. I find that the nights I have a Protein Shake made with maybe half a cup of kefir I have no reflux...chamomile tea before bed also helps. It is about 4 weeks since I stopped omeprazole between almonds, chamomile tea and kefir I feel like I have it under control. The first week or so is the hardest it gets worse before it gets better. All the best!

@neon07734 Wow, you have really been unlucky. With you just being 1 month post op, isn't it a little early to stop the meds? Things are still healing. I'm 9 weeks out, but most people take it for 6 months.

Hopefully it will get better for both of us.

@Di_ I'm glad you have been able to find something that helps, and hopefully things will get better. I have also noticed that Skyr/quark is no problem. I'll see how it goes in about 3 week. Hopefully it just needs a little more time.

I stopped taking my omeprazole and had to get into it with someone at the VA because they said I needed it. I told them to look at my records and that I had RNY surgery and that I was only taking it as needed anyways. When I finally talked to my primary she said no problem, you shouldn't need it.

@Redmaxx if you don't have any problems, there is no need for you to take it. Right after surgery, I think almost everyone takes it for a while, anywhere from 8 weeks to a year so things can heal. I'm only 9 weeks post op, and my stomach is not ready to get off apparently.

RNY 2003; revision 2008; I've been on prevacid for YEARS! Every time I try to go off of it, I get ulcers. If you need it, you need it.

RNY 2003; revision 2008; I've been on prevacid for YEARS! Every time I try to go off of it, I get ulcers. If you need it, you need it.

I was about to say the same thing I just had an endoscopy this past Thursday and just experienced my first ulcer so I have to take another whole 4 months more supply. It is no JOKE!

I have been on acid reflux medicine for at least 15 years. I have no side effects from it. I had my RNY on 4/19/17. I stopped my meds and was told to go back on it for 3 months. The thing is about a year and a half ago I was also put on omeprazole. So I am taking 40mgs Nexium in the morning and 40mgs Omeprazole at night. I still have acid reflux so they changed me to Protonix and it just got worse. So back to the Nexium and Prilosec. Then a Probiotic added also dissolve and take Carafe before meals and at bedtime.
I am quite disappointed that they give the inuindo that our acid reflux will be gone after surgery. I just had a scope on my upper gi last Tuesday and everything looked great. So I don't know if I will ever be able to get off my stomach meds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

@nettajlong I didn't have acid reflux before surgery. It's something that has come after surgery. As for side effects, have you been tested for osteoporosis? It's a very common side effect from long term use of acid reducers.

After trying to reduce my Nexium and that didn't work, I went back on it for a week. Today I started pantoprazole to see if it works better than Nexium. If that doesn't work, the next thing is to remove all dairy to see if I have gotten an intolerance since surgery.