Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I'm new to the group... I know people who've had the sleeve and love it and I know people who've had bypass and love it... I plan on getting in touch with a bariatric surgeon but I'm curious what have ya'll had done and do you wish you would have gone a different way... I have over 200 pounds to lose and I heard bypass is better for the amount I have to lose... Thoughts? Thanks everyone...

I had Roux-En-Y (Bypass) surgery on 20 October 2016. As of today I have exceeded my surgeons weight loss goal. I am almost 100 pounds down. I am extremely happy with both my procedure and my surgeon. From what I was told, sleeves have a higher rate of regaining the weight than the pouches. Again, that is what I heard. My surgeon told me that the pouch was better for me to help with the diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol and sleep apnea. So far it has helped with everything but the sleep apnea (I went from obstructive to central apnea) and as an extra it has helped with my depression.

I had the sleeve on May 29, 2016. When I started the process I was 540 pounds. At surgery I was 480 pounds and today (11 months out) I am 290 pounds. That is a 250 pound loss. I LOVE my sleeve and am glad I didn't do the bypass. If you have heartburn problems it's not suggested to get the sleeve as it can make heartburn worse. I have exceeded my surgeons weight loss expectations and I am finally able to the life I always wanted to but couldn't

My default is to recommend sleeve unless a person has pre-existing heartburn, or a food addiction. The malabsorptive/dumping aspect of the bypass helps with the occasional slip-up.

From all the research I've been doing, I'm leaving towards the sleeve... I'm currently 417 and other than borderline high cholesterol, I'm pretty healthy... Well as healthy as 417 can be... Now weight related, of course sleep apnea, knees hurt, back hurt and easily get winded... But I'm starting to have female issues now with wacky periods and my doctor has checked everything so we think it's weight related.... Thanks for the input... I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance, so I'm strapping myself in for the long haul....

My 2 cents: VSG may not get you small enough to resolve your various weight-related issues as the EWL rate is typically 60% long term.

I have lost more weight than everyone I know personally that had RNY and most of the people that post on forums that had RNY around the same time I had my sleeve.

How much weight you lose is really all on you after about 6 months. The type of surgery doesn't matter.

If you are an active person, meaning you are willing to move and you already do things for yourself, then the Sleeve will get you where you want to go if you work with it.

I suggest trolling forums, not just this one but other, look for people around the 2 year mark and see what their losses look like long term. You won't find much difference, even the official stats aren't that different.

I have lost more weight than everyone I know personally that had RNY and most of the people that post on forums that had RNY around the same time I had my sleeve.
How much weight you lose is really all on you after about 6 months. The type of surgery doesn't matter.
If you are an active person, meaning you are willing to move and you already do things for yourself, then the Sleeve will get you where you want to go if you work with it.
I suggest trolling forums, not just this one but other, look for people around the 2 year mark and see what their losses look like long term. You won't find much difference, even the official stats aren't that different.

Thanks for the input... I am dedicated but because I've let myself go for so long I just need that "kick start"... I'm not looking for an easy out or anything, I know it will take hard work and I agree with what you said about it depending on how hard you work and all... I have a very supportive family and all and believe the sleeve is a better choice for me but definitely keeping all options open, I still have to go see the surgeon so we'll see what he says too... But I'll definitely go check some forums out and see how long term people have done... Thanks for your help....

@CrazieConnie

You are doing research and asking questions which puts you ahead of most people.

I did a ton of research and that is how I made my decision, although for me RNY was never an option, but my research helped me decide that WLS was my only and best option.

Good Luck!

I am almost 4 years out from my RNY. I was a insulin resistant and I took 100 units of Levermire (shots) 2 times per day plus 500MG of METFORMIN also for diabetes. I took 12 different medications. Now I take 4, three of which are for my high blood pressure. Plus my Vitamins. Here are my stats: At one time I weighed in at 285#'s but managed to lose 36#'s on my own. So here is my journey HIGHEST WEIGHT 249 LOWEST WEIGHT 117#'s SURGERY WEIGHT 232 CURRENT WEIGHT 125#'s. I got to my lowest weight in 6 monthd then managed to gain 8#'s but it was all great. I had problems with strictures and had to have 5 Endoscopes with 4 Dialations. This was the reason for my low weight. I have maintained my 125#'s for over 3 and 1/2 years. Not only am I off so much of my medications I now can exercise and actually enjoy it. I am able to walk 3 to 4 miles three to four times a week. I also have Fibromylgia and 2 different Arthuritis and now I feel good. I am not saying I am pain free because I still have my days when I just cannot do it all. I know that both surgeries have good and not som good draw backs but...if you stay your plan and follow your Surgeons guidelines you too will be successful!! Good luck on which ever bath you choose!!

7 hours ago, Sherrie Scharbrough said:

I am almost 4 years out from my RNY. I was a insulin resistant and I took 100 units of Levermire (shots) 2 times per day plus 500MG of METFORMIN also for diabetes. I took 12 different medications. Now I take 4, three of which are for my high blood pressure. Plus my Vitamins. Here are my stats: At one time I weighed in at 285#'s but managed to lose 36#'s on my own. So here is my journey HIGHEST WEIGHT 249 LOWEST WEIGHT 117#'s SURGERY WEIGHT 232 CURRENT WEIGHT 125#'s. I got to my lowest weight in 6 monthd then managed to gain 8#'s but it was all great. I had problems with strictures and had to have 5 Endoscopes with 4 Dialations. This was the reason for my low weight. I have maintained my 125#'s for over 3 and 1/2 years. Not only am I off so much of my medications I now can exercise and actually enjoy it. I am able to walk 3 to 4 miles three to four times a week. I also have Fibromylgia and 2 different Arthuritis and now I feel good. I am not saying I am pain free because I still have my days when I just cannot do it all. I know that both surgeries have good and not som good draw backs but...if you stay your plan and follow your Surgeons guidelines you too will be successful!! Good luck on which ever bath you choose!!

What was your hBA1c like, if you can divulge? And I assume this is T2?

Well I've done my 6 months of supervised visits with my PCP and I have an appointment on November 8th for my Psychology and psychology testing... And my patient navigator says everything looks good and they shouldn't have a problem... I'm getting so excited now... I was unsure if I was going to do it but after losing my Mom back in August (to cancer from smoking) I am determined to take care of me and my weight is the only thing that isn't good. I'm overall a healthy person... So saying my prayers and been reading alot on here about what's to come....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome! I believe both surgeries work very well. At your age, I'd probably lean toward VSG, even with having 200lbs to lose. As these outstanding people have all shown, it is possible to exceed the averages and be well-above-average! :) They rock. Bariatric Pal rocks too and is a source of friendship, like-minded support, cheerleading, setting you straight and keeping you in reality, and information. So. Much. Information! And, you're giving yourself a greater shot at success by reading and questioning here!

I'm old at 55. So I'm grabbing the bull by the horns and doing what I think is one of the most extreme methods and also the gold standard (because VSG is "newer" and doesn't have the track record to call it a gold standard yet). I'm having the RNY to get the restriction but also the absorption advantage and also to get more of the hormonal reset advantage--although both RNY and VSG give hormonal pluses!

I've no doubt, as you listen to your surgeon and work your program you will make the right decision for you!!! Congrats on making the decision for change! Life is too short to be saddled with the pain of obesity.