Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bridesmaid dress...

Hi all,

I'm getting sleeved this June and I will be in a wedding at the end of September.

Thankfully the bride is super understanding about this and we are holding off on ordering dresses until the end of July. However I'm worried about how much I'll lose in those months.

I know that I will get it altered, but they can usually only do so much. I am wondering if I should just order it a size smaller in anticipation, but worry that if I hit stalls I won't be able to fit in it (like so many dresses before!).

I was in the same situation. I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding in May. I was sleeved on March 30th. I couldn't purchase my dress any later than the end of January. I ended up buying it a size smaller than my normal size. My dress can be taken in up to 4 sizes, so I have room for alterations. I'm going to have to get it taken in at least one size before wedding day on May 6th

I was in the same situation. I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding in May. I was sleeved on March 30th. I couldn't purchase my dress any later than the end of January. I ended up buying it a size smaller than my normal size. My dress can be taken in up to 4 sizes, so I have room for alterations. I'm going to have to get it taken in at least one size before wedding day on May 6th

A good dressmaker will be able to recommend a dress style that is easier to take in. Hopefully you don't have a bridezilla and she will take this into account when the dresses are picked.

I was told by my "tailor???" for my wedding dress that they can take in 2 sizes without seriously altering the appearance. Obviously different materials/necklines/ styles might vary this but thats what I was told by the....wedding dress people. Lol. Probably the only dress Ive worn in 15 years. Sorry if my lingo is off.

I am currently in this situation. I had surgery in Oct last year. Bride wanted to order dresses in Jan for wedding in sept (I'm surprised they can wait till July to order, but I'm in Canada and maybe that is why it takes 3 months for them to come in). Anyway they ordered everyone else's and held mine till the last minute (ok because we are in alternating colours). In Jan I tried on a dress I thought I would like, but couldn't tell because I couldn't get the sample on!! In March it fit tight! In April it was loose! I've been losing 7-10lbs a month (total lose 75lbs). The dress lady suggested to order in 3 sizes smaller as we are still 6 months away and should easily lose another 30-45lbs. Hoping it will fit in sept! But they can alter 3 sizes up or down, so I'm told.

If you are starting in plus sizes, like the high end of plus sizes, you might not drop more than 2 sizes. If you are on the low end of plus sizes, like a 20 starting, you could be a 12 in 2 months.

People react differently to surgery there is really no way to tell.

good luck with the dress!

If you are starting in plus sizes, like the high end of plus sizes, you might not drop more than 2 sizes. If you are on the low end of plus sizes, like a 20 starting, you could be a 12 in 2 months.
People react differently to surgery there is really no way to tell.
good luck with the dress!

This is good advice and true. There's a bigger difference in inches between plus sizes. I lost 45,lbs before I went down a full size. If I started at a size 18 that would have been 3 sizes down easily.