Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many weeks to request off

Im a nurse. I work in a nicu so I work with small babies but still some babies are 8lbs or more and I was wondering how long I should request off. I know some people are good after a week. I was gonna do 2 weeks but im worried that wont be enough?

Really just depends on how well you are doing after surgery. I am a month post op and am still so tired and get nauseous and dizzy. Luckily I am a stay at home mom but it is hard to keep up with my 2 year old when I have no energy.

Edited by Ella's Mommy

6 hours ago, MelissaRose24 said:

Im a nurse. I work in a nicu so I work with small babies but still some babies are 8lbs or more and I was wondering how long I should request off. I know some people are good after a week. I was gonna do 2 weeks but im worried that wont be enough?

Could you request 3 weeks with the understanding that you could come back after 2, or does the scheduling not allow for that? I returned to work after 2 1/2 weeks but I have a desk job. It was mainly being tired and not having a lot of energy that made the first week rough. If you're used to being on your feet and moving around it might not be so bad. It's really hard to give solid advice as we all handle post-op life differently. I've seen some say they wish they could have taken more than 4 weeks off and others that were back to work in only a few days.

Our doc mandated 2 weeks minimum. He wanted 4 weeks but told them there was no way I could with work.

My surgery is next week, and my doc has me out for 6 weeks, with a possible option (at her discretion) to return after only 4.

My surgery is on a Wednesday and I'm returning to work the following Monday, so 1.5 weeks.

Could you request 3 weeks with the understanding that you could come back after 2, or does the scheduling not allow for that? I returned to work after 2 1/2 weeks but I have a desk job. It was mainly being tired and not having a lot of energy that made the first week rough. If you're used to being on your feet and moving around it might not be so bad. It's really hard to give solid advice as we all handle post-op life differently. I've seen some say they wish they could have taken more than 4 weeks off and others that were back to work in only a few days.

Our doc mandated 2 weeks minimum. He wanted 4 weeks but told them there was no way I could with work.

No I would have to request now either way two or three weeks so they can have sufficient staffing if im out. I dont wanna be out too long but I also dont wanna come back not feeling up to work so hard I spend 12hrs a day on my feet.

16 hours ago, MelissaRose24 said:

I'm a nurse too. I do 8 hr shifts, but literally stand the entire time and push a lot of stretchers. I work in endoscopy - not a "heavy" job but very fast paced.

I'm booked off for 3 weeks, but the way my rotation works I'll be 3 1/2 weeks post op when I go back. It this point (day 14), I think I'll be fine. My incisions are healing well and I don't have a lot of fatigue. My main concern is getting my fluids in when I go back to work. I can only drink on breaks.

I'll keep you posted how it goes for me! When is your surgery date?

I'm a nurse too. I do 8 hr shifts, but literally stand the entire time and push a lot of stretchers. I work in endoscopy - not a "heavy" job but very fast paced.
I'm booked off for 3 weeks, but the way my rotation works I'll be 3 1/2 weeks post op when I go back. It this point (day 14), I think I'll be fine. My incisions are healing well and I don't have a lot of fatigue. My main concern is getting my fluids in when I go back to work. I can only drink on breaks.

Thank you very much for your reply. My surgery is May 2nd. I work three days a week but I work 12hr shifts and very fast paced. Sometimes we dont even have time to drink Water. I I lift alot, sometimes 10lb babies. My job is very active sometimes we dont even get lunch so im just worried how will I get Protein and fluids as well. Let me know how your pot op recovery goes.

17 hours ago, MelissaRose24 said:

1 hour ago, 1poundatatime said:

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to express my appreciation for nurses. You don't get nearly enough recognition for all of the hard work you do!

33 minutes ago, MeltsIntoWonder said:

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to express my appreciation for nurses. You don't get nearly enough recognition for all of the hard work you do!

Thanks! I've worked in many areas and love them all :)

Please make sure you take care of yourself. You have to get your Water and Protein in or you may wind up back in the hospital. Your job is important, but you are more important. As with all of us - it's time to make ourselves the priority from now on!

Please make sure you take care of yourself. You have to get your Water and Protein in or you may wind up back in the hospital. Your job is important, but you are more important. As with all of us - it's time to make ourselves the priority from now on!

That is true thank you very much Debbie.

Ooh! I look forward to hearing how it is when you get back to work! I'm an RN in a NICU too and I'll be taking 3 weeks off, just in case.

Now I feel like a sissy! I work a desk job and I'm taking 4 weeks off to recover and plan for the new eating plan. I'm using the time to recover and also to plan recipes and clear out the kitchen & closets. My family wants to get healthier too so we are doing a big overhaul. Also looking for sustainable exercise options. These are things I never have time for when I'm working. I am taking about ¾ of my hospitalization leave allowance for the year to do this. It's a once in a lifetime lifestyle reset. Take the time to do it right. All those babies lives are depending on you and the better you are the better it is for them.