Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating on the liquid diet

Search the forum and you'll find many that have. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. The main goal is to get you into ketosis by having very low carbs to help shrink your liver, so if you're continuously cheating then you're probably keeping your body from going into it. The pre-op diet is not easy but you have to ask yourself if you can't follow guidelines now why do you think you will after surgery?

1 hour ago, ebarclay said:

Anyone else cheat on the liquid diet? I'm the sole provider of food for my children and always end up picking at their food

As far as the impact on your surgery, that would be a question best asked of your surgeon/NUT, but as a person who also is the sole provider of food for their children (and wife) and knows what it's like to be tempted by "their" food while you're drinking "your" food, I can assure you that it's a good idea to use this time as a starting point to make a true commitment to changing things.

You will have to be strong and avoid certain foods after your surgery, some because they can cause you harm (right after surgery) and some because they contribute to the complete opposite of what you're trying to accomplish with the surgery.

The best advice I got was from my NUT. She said to get in the mindset of wanting to be healthier, and get out of the mindset of wanting to lose weight. The two go hand-in-hand in most cases and achieving one will result in the other. Try to look at food as a way to feed your body. You will be severely limited in calorie intake fresh out of surgery, so you'll want to choose foods that will help you achieve your daily Protein goals, hydration goals, and offer maximum nutrition per calorie. It takes some dedication and patience, but you'll get there if you want it bad enough...

Best of luck!

I'm not missing the point the surgery is a tool that will help you your weight loss journey I can not do this on my own if I could I wouldn't be having the surgery in the first place. My family already clean eats my mind is fine I'm not cheating on mcdonalds or anything like that. But I think I'm good

Please keep in mind that the preop diet's goal is to make your surgery safer. Is cheating really worth it?

I will, however, tell you that my surgeon does not put patients on an all liquid diet preop. We are put on a very strict diet that is low fat, no carb and low calorie. I ate about 800 calories a day of Protein Shakes, veggies (no butter or dressing) and small amounts of lean meat. If you are going to "cheat" I would do tiny amounts of food that meet that criteria.

7 minutes ago, ebarclay said:

It's been like green Beans and way under 800 calories 300 and sometimes not even that I haven't been drinking the shakes so it's been Water and chicken or green Beans or Jello

If that's the case then you're probably fine. Some people's plans allowed them to have small amounts of veggies and/or lean Protein sources. The point we're trying to make is that it's easy to say you'll follow things exactly after surgery, but if you aren't following your doctor's instructions now the concern is what guarantee after surgery? In the short time I've been here I've read enough horror stories of people that decided to eat regular food within a week and how miserable it made them feel. Good luck on your journey. The two weeks before & after aren't easy, but it'll be worth it.

Do yourself a favor and stop thinking about eating off plan as cheating. This is a life going forward of healthy eating, not a diet. There is no cheating, you make a mistake, you get back on track next meal.

I live alone, and did when I did my pre-op diet. If I had been stuck on liquids but surrounded by food I would have ate some food too. Days without chewing is maddening. So I'm not going to judge you. If you have to eat something just let it be carb free. The only day you really can't have anything is the day before surgery and that is to make sure your surgery is entirely safe.

Good luck.

Do yourself a favor and stop thinking about eating off plan as cheating. This is a life going forward of healthy eating, not a diet. There is no cheating, you make a mistake, you get back on track next meal.
I live alone, and did when I did my pre-op diet. If I had been stuck on liquids but surrounded by food I would have ate some food too. Days without chewing is maddening. So I'm not going to judge you. If you have to eat something just let it be carb free. The only day you really can't have anything is the day before surgery and that is to make sure your surgery is entirely safe.

Good luck.

Thank you your the first person I feel like that isn't judging me I thought this site would be judgment free but I was wrong

Anyone else cheat on the liquid diet? I'm the sole provider of food for my children and always end up picking at their food

My surgeon doesnt require a preop diet, just Clear Liquids 1 day before, so im relieved about that. I totally know where you are coking from because i do the same thing. Half the time i dont even make myself a plate and just eat their leftovers, lol.